San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fishing from the shore  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2010 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Lifeofchaos

Mana: 
Hey guys and gals, I am hoping to make a trip down to SC here in the next month or so and am hoping to do some fishing off the beach.  I was hoping you guys could fill me in on some good spots to  fish and what I could expect to catch!!  I searched the forum and came up empty handed....

Thank you!

Caleb

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2010 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Caleb,

Let me know and I can tell you about a 'secret spot'. You can try the rocky shorelines just past Charly's Rock where the road was washed out. There is a little old rock pier that works good sometimes. Closer to the marina just past the Posada beach there is a point that can have good fishing. You can hike out to the point just past the Mirador (lookout) - San Antonio (past the Tetekawi - Goats Tits Peak). Sometimes the rock pier by my house in Villas California (between the Hotel Premier and Plaza San Carlos) works and just outside the harbor at Marina Real (just smile and wave at the guards). At low tide you could walk out past the Soggy Peso on the point to Deer Island. Look for any birds sitting or working areas. Best bet may be to get a kayak from me.

buena suerte,

Bryan

http://www.scaaMexico.com

Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2010 01:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
broereb

Mana: 
Hello, what are you trying to catch ? In Lalos Cove I see this big school of Lisa's going up and down the shore line. These are 12 to 15 inch long. Only 1 big bone in the center. Good eating. They swim in 4 ft of water and 10 ft of the beach. You can snorkel with them too. Have lots of fun, Johan.

Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2010 05:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
A great spot is the East side of the Villa Hermosa point before the Posada Condominiums. There is a little wash that exits out of the country club. Take the walkway to the beach and walk the shoreline out to the point on a medium tide. Be prepared to get wet.

Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2010 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Lifeofchaos

Mana: 
I'm pretty much open to catch anything.  I grew up fishing in rocky point and it used to be really good 5-10 years ago, but it has certainly seen better days as of late.  So, I have been led to San Carlos and hope to catch ANYTHING!!  You guys are great and thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Caleb

Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2010 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
barato

Mana: 
expected catch this time of year bottom fishing woud be spotted sand bass, triggers, porgies, grunts, lizardfish, small snappers and even smaller groupers.  flingin lures at dawn/dusk might also get you some jacks or sierra if you're lucky and likely some small cudas.  bring light tackle as you're unlikely to get anything over 5lbs from shore.  you will get quite wet most spots.

honestly, any kind of boat, even a cheapie inflatable (sevylors, cheaper sea eagles etc) of the type you don't take further out than you can easily swim, or better yet a yak, will greatly improve your fishing possibilities.  just beware the risk of bigger-boat-itis, a virulent disease that seems to have a bunch of carriers here in SC......:shock:

Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2010 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I know they don't let you drive it anymore, but you could walk out past the gate to the area of the old fish camps to the isthmus area of Doble Point which is straight south of the Bahia (where the boats are moored, opposite the Caracol - homes on the hill above the marina). I see a lot of nice spotted sand bass in the bay there when I drop stuff while cleaning my boat. The outside beach and rocks may have some decent fishing.

Posted: Thu Jan 14th, 2010 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Lifeofchaos

Mana: 
Right on, thanks again everyone.

I have a few light spinning outfits and bunch of plastics and spoons to try and throw out there.  Might even see if we can catch something on the fly...

Thanks again,

Caleb

Posted: Thu Jan 14th, 2010 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
dduke

Mana: 
Let us know how you do.

Duncan

Posted: Thu Jan 14th, 2010 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I have not mentioned the corvina fishing here because I have not caught one in my last 4 early morning attempts (December). Usually, this is a great time to fish for them, but I haven't seen or heard any reports.

Bryan - any corvina?

Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2010 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Still waiting for the right tides in the evening.

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 02:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
wweens

Mana: 
What are Lisas?  Mullet?  I've never known anything they'd bite on.  What is a 'bone' down that way?  Certainly not a bonefish.  We may be getting down to San Carlos some time in the next year, and I'd like to try the kayaking.  Have you seen the ones with flippers on the bottom that are pedal driven?  I tried one made by Hobi in Florida, and it worked very well, had a fingertip rudder control by your side.

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Lisa's are mullet - the only thing they bite on is a net (or Bisquick, I guess?). The bone he was discussing is skeletal, but we do get bonefish in SC. Have caught several trolling small Rapalas and Rebels inside of  Honeymoon on the flats.

Craig

Last edited on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 06:34 pm by IronMan

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
dduke

Mana: 
some people fly fish for mullet.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/flyfishing/FF_0202_Mullet/index1.html

http://capmel.com/mullet_on_the_fly.htm

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 05:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
wweens

Mana: 
Thanks for that entertaining article.  I'll bet that the 'big black fish' that had him scampering a hundred yards down the bank was a bowfin not a mullet, but it's his story so maybe it was.  I'm not a fly-tier although I do have a couple of fly outfits, a five and a nine weight, and a decent reel.  The 'Bisquick Nymph' is an interesting concept.  For floating I wonder if a small marshmallow on a size 14 hook would work?
I doubt if such a fly would be for sale anywhere.  Cast nets are probably the way to go for mullet.

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
dduke

Mana: 
I once met a guy trying to catch mullet with a fly rod in the club Med lagoon/estero. He was experimenting (not very successfully) with a fly that was just a little piece of green fluff, supposed to look like a piece of weed.

I think the key would be chumming, depending on what kind of chum is successful in SC, then a you'd need to create a fly that looked like the chum. Or, you could simply put a hook in a small piece of chum. I think you'd need to keep the hook on the surface and place it accurately without spooking the fish.

There are some decent sized mullet about, and "lisa frita" tastes very good. Just make sure you cook the mullet very well as they tend to be heavily infested with parasites (nematodes, etc.).

Duncan

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 06:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
wweens

Mana: 
Yes, I've heard that you need to kill the mullet, clean it and ice it immediately.  I did eat 'lisa frita' in Florida last fall, and it was good, about like catfish.  BTW do any snook come up that far on the coast?  I know they're in the surf at Mazatlan.  I saw a film of a guy fishing for them there, but the waves were gargantuan.  Definitely not armchair fishing.  I'll bring my flyrod when I come down, maybe in October.

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
dduke

Mana: 
I've seen a few snook inside the SC marina. This was years ago, in summer. Never did see them snorkeling/diving nor caught them anywhere else in SC.

My guess is that under certain conditions they come up north for a while, but definitely are not resident not very common.

Duncan

Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2010 10:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
wweens

Mana: 
Duncan, is there much in the harbor area there, around the boats or around pilings?  Did someone mention Calico Bass?

Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2010 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
We get Golden Spotted Sea Bass (very similar to Calicos) down deep and types of sand/pinto bass up shallower. You can find lots of stuff in the marinas - hopefully corvina. Of course I would NEVER fish in the marina since it is illegal. "Mande? No hablo espanol. Oh, lo siento." (Bring down some wigs and hats and don't fish during working hours) You're pretty safe at Marina San Carlos if you aren't actually around the boats and docks.

I saw a number of snook at Ley's. I wonder if they are in the estuaries south of Empalme. I've only seen a fish similar to a black drum in the estuary up here. Haven't seen a halibut coming in to the estuary in a decade. This might be the time though on a high tide.

Current time is 06:44 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Fishing from the shore Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems