San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Ranchitos San Carlos  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2021 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bob_S

Mana: 
Could someone living in Rancheros and/or very familiar with the area give me some information about the area please? 

Every time someone has told me about the area, they tell me what they think, or have heard. 

I would like to know: Is it a good area to live? Some areas better than others? How far to San Carlos and the ocean? Positives and negatives.

I will be visiting there the end of this month or first part of Sept. 

I'm looking for a place to live, but don't want a postage stamp size lot, or homes built 2 feet apart.

I've also been reading about an area called Real Del Palmar. 

Any information would be greatly apricated.  

TIA

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 01:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
dusty, water supply a problem is some area

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Hook

Mana: 
The roads are mostly unpaved, so dust can be an issue.

Up until the last 1-2 years, municipal water delivery via pipes was a problem in a few isolated areas (just like some areas in town). I dont hear about it much anymore. I have always gotten plenty of water, unless the whole town is shut off. Used to be deliveries were on a two day per week schedule, but for the past year, I have water coming virtually any time I check, day or night.

Lots are generally 1000 square meters. Ours is an oddity at 1313 sq mtrs.

Water and electricity and fiber optic are virtually everywhere in the Ranchitos now. But you must still have all of these hooked up to your lot.

There is trash service......except where there isn't, like the rest of town.

I'd say 95% of the Ranchitos is on their own septic system.

It's actually pretty quiet in most of the Ranchitos. You do hear dogs and chickens more than in other parts of San Carlos. Of course, if a local decides to have an all-night party with loud music, all bets are off. But that happens in every neighborhood in San Carlos.

I live just off the furthest north (away from the ocean) street in the Ranchitos. I can get to San Francisco Beach, just about the last unregulated stretch of beach left in San Carlos, in under five minutes by car or ATV. I am in the eastern portion of the Ranchitos, so I am closer to the ocean than someone in the western portion where the beaches are pretty much regulated for ingress and egress. Westerners might take 7-10 minutes to get to SF Beach.

Shopping or bar hopping or going out to most any restaurant in SC proper takes only 5-10 minutes by car. I run errands in town on a bicycle a lot.

The Ranchitos is warmer than in town during the day in the fall/winter/spring, but cooler at nights. We like that. Town can be very cool during the day, especially right on the coast and especially if the wind is blowing. It's not uncommon for the Ranchitos to be 5-10 degrees F, warmer than town. We prefer upper 70s-low 80s to upper 60s to low 70s.

For June/July/August/September/early October, it is miserable EVERYWHERE due to the humidity. But the most uncomfortable nights I have ever experienced in SC have been visiting friends who live right on the water, in the summer months. It is noticeably more humid than where I live in the Ranchitos.

I have a theory that the farther you live from the sewage settling pond near the country club, the fewer mosquitos you have to deal with at dusk, at night and in the morning. Mosquitos are rarely bad where we live; they can be unbearable in neighborhoods close to that pond and the golf course.

Crime? It's everywhere in San Carlos, but mostly petty theft. Virtually all violent crime is thugs vs thugs, visiting from out of town. Don't leave things out. Lock things up.

Over the years, I have heard/read about more breakins in supposed gate guarded communities than in the Ranchitos, but that might just be circumstantial evidence, really. Well-to-do people might talk more about their losses than lower income people. There are exceptions, but housing tends to be more modest in the Ranchitos than in most other sections of SC.

That's all for now.

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Caroline

Mana: 
Hook, that is a thoughtful and interesting summary.  I've lived here full time for 13 years and didn't know most of that info, my bad.

Every neighborhood has some interesting offerings and the things you outlined are important to a decision.  So many people do not fully investigate before making many decisions.  Having all the facts can help someone to be influenced by actual details rather than rumors or gossip.

Living on the water, I can attest to the humidity being stifling during the summer yet the comfort of looking at the water from your kitchen or drinking your coffee out there at 5 am is a blessed price to pay.  The downside is every piece of metal on your property is in a swirl of rust forming at record speed.

No free lunches I guess.

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
my advice for any prospective buyer ANYWHERE in San Carlos; go on Google Earth, find San Carlos.
from there SEE the "flood way & flood plain", you will see that San Carlos is at the bottom of "bowl" surrounded by mountains. from the mountain ranges you can still see the direction of the water shed "arroyos".
 follow them down, you will be alarmed at how many homes and structures are built directly on the "flood way"!

flood way is the direct root of the natural water shed.
flood plain are areas that can possibly see over flow of water from the flood way.

anyone who was here during hurricane "Jimena" will tell you most of our town was devastated from the flooding coming from our surrounding mountains!

many will say "hah" that was a 500 year flood and they are correct. what happened in that 500 year flood was; alluvial fans where breached, water shed that came naturally from the seasonal rains rarely made it to the ocean. alluvial fans were created over millennia. at the outer ends of the alluvial fans 1000's of years of sediment deposits created  natural shallow dam's. Jimena breach most if not all of them.
again, this can be verified by studying the "Google Earth maps' you will still see the outer remnants of the alluvial fan, now with a deep arroyo in the middle of it.

so, there are a lot of nice homes in "Ranchitos" , just be careful where you may purchase!

Last edited on Sun Aug 8th, 2021 06:13 pm by frankiej

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 02:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
:)

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
SharkBite

Mana: 
i live in the Ranchitos and wouldn't live anywhere else.  It's quiet, neighborhood friendly, less humid than waterfront, less rust problems than water front.  I live on the West side of Ranchitos.  1/2 mile to the main boulevard in town, then depending on what beach you go to, it's close.  
The only con is the dust from the dirt roads and speeding vehicles making the dust fly.  I never have water issues at my place, always full on water even when others don't have water.  Water supply is your first question.  The homes further North in the Ranchitos, up by the hill have more water problems.  Great neighbors here.

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
SharkBite

Mana: 
OH, and lots here are 1/4 acre each.  Several properties are two lots or 1/2 acre.  I don't see any neighbors when they are outside.  Each home is unique and different.

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2021 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bob_S

Mana: 
THANKS everyone.

A lot of good information I have been looking for. :)

Posted: Sun Aug 22nd, 2021 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Hook and Sharkbite paint a pretty picture and I agree. We have lived here in Ranchitos from about 2005. The lots are mostly 1000 square meters, we, like Hook, ended up with 2 much larger. You could not walk through due to undergrowth and the ground is so hard you about can't drive a pick into it, but plant a seed or a small tree and they grow like watered weeds but without much water. As Frankie said, just look at the terrain and the arroyo or channel or ditch and make your decision. We were here during Jimena and 2 blocks either direction, the streets became raging rivers for about 2 days afterward but here we suffered no flooding even with about 38 inches of water in a day or so. Just use common sense. We have great neighbors, even one Canadian, LOL. We're from Wyoming with few but genuine good folks. You will find the same neighbors here. Anyway, here in Ranchitos you have room for trees and plants and animals as you like, not wall to wall houses as you say. Enjoy, Ron

Current time is 05:56 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Mercado (The Marketplace) > Bienes Raices (Real Estate) > Ranchitos San Carlos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems