San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Expired TIP  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 23rd, 2021 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
pepe

Mana: 
Hello all,
I searched the forum but didn't find any thing about an expired TIP on a vehicle.  
 I had gotten a TIP online in October 2019 for the winter season  to take my 5th wheel  to Mazatlan.   However.... on the way to the Mexican border, we had to come home to deal with some personal issues.  I had to stay in Canada until Feb, 2020. We were going to head back down and then the Covid hit. Decided to deadhead back to the border and get the TIP removed and come back.
The talk of closing the borders was ramping up and we decided to stay at home until we knew what was going on.

So.... long story short, our truck TIP is expired but still on the window.
My question is ,.... has anyone ever taken a vehicle back to Km 21 to get an expired TIP removed?

I E-mailed Banjercito and told them about the problem and they said to just go down and get it removed.
Sounds easy.....but, I'm wondering if I may have to pay a heavy fine or have my truck confiscated because of the expired TIP. 

I would like to get an idea of what may happen when I go to the kiosk at Km 21 on the way down and attempt to get the TIP removed and then apply for a new one.
Has anyone ever dealt with a similar problem?  

Lesson learned.  Thank you.  Pepe

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jul 23rd, 2021 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have never turned on in in 50 years. I just scrape them off and apply for new ones.

Posted: Fri Jul 23rd, 2021 11:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pepe

Mana: 
Hmmm. Interesting. I thought that the TIP would be in their data base and unless returned before your 180 days, you would not get another one.   I guess what I could do is to get down to Arizona and sit in an rv park for a month and apply for a TIP online , and if I get it , well,  I guess I'm good to go.

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I don't think you will have an issue.  The vehicle left Mexico and with all the closures due to the pandemic I just don't see a problem

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
pepe

Mana: 
Thats what I was kinda hoping for but you never know. Anyway, I  suppose when the time comes I'll just give it a try and hope for the best. 

I'll take a copy of the banjercito e-mail and see what happens. Now I just have to wait and see what happens at the Canada U.S. border.

Thanks for the replies.

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
They will not check the data base.

Last edited on Sat Jul 24th, 2021 03:50 am by Bullshipper

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
pepe

Mana: 
Actually Bartmanaz, the truck never made it into Mexico. I 've still got the sticker on the window. If I had gone into Mexico I would have had the sticker removed at he Km 21 kiosk when we left. We were to far from the border to go and get it removed . We had to get back to Canada as quick as possible. Maybe a good thing with regards to the Covid order closures but not so good for sticker removal.

Bullshipper, ... I hope you're right. I read so many threads about the expired TIP, but none of them pertain to the covid border closures. I guess I'll find out in Oct. I'll post a followup in case someone else has the same kind of problem. Maybe give someone a heads up.

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 12:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Many stories on the internet about not being able to get a new TIP until you return the old one. But no personal experience. I turned one in late about 10 years ago, but it was before they were requiring a "bond" that was refundable if you returned it in time. I returned it a year or so after it had expired. Just didnt want to be denied the next time I applied for one.

Did you pay the bond and lose it?

I have also read stories about persons who paid the bond IN CASH and when they went to turn back in the TIP, they said that they didn't have the cash for the refund. The lesson relayed on the internet was always pay for the bond with a credit card.

Actually, I dont believe you'll know if the restriction is still in effect unless you apply for a new one BEFORE you turn in the old one. Otherwise, we wont know if there is a special exemption for Covid.

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
pepe

Mana: 
Hook,   yes I paid the bond , but that is gone after I missed turning the TIP in before 180 days. I  think I will go to Amado AZ. and hang out for a month and apply for the TIP online and see if I can get it. Thats nice and close to the border. If I get it we're good to go. If not I will probably stay in the free zone and see how that works.   

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Why stop in the US??? Drive to the Mexican Border Station 21 below Nogales with your vehicle and Car registration showing that its paid off and currently registered, walk into the office and get your tip.

This is a 5 minute slam dunk. You are worrying about nothing imo.

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Really depends on who you get. I didn't turn one in, sold the car to a friend in San Carlos, and they were going to turn it in when they went north. They decided they didn't want to turn it in, because there were a few cars in line, in front of them. So I had to pay to bring another car in. Gave up $400 for that little snafu.

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
pepe

Mana: 
Bullshipper, I haven't cancelled my original TIP. My truck would show up as still in Mexico. Banjercito website says if you don't cancel yourTIP on time you. " may" get your truck impounded. Thats why I would rather apply for the new TIP in the States. If They won't give me a new one at least I wouldn't run the risk of getting my truck impounded .

Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2021 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
It'll never happen, but suit yourself.

Current time is 05:17 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Expired TIP Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems