San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Kayak repair Local plastic welder

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Kayak repair Local plastic welder  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 4th, 2021 04:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
SanCarlos246

Mana: 
I was kayaking  today and my Hobie kayak was taking on water. I discovered a 3 inch crack in the hull . Is there anyone in the San Carlos area that can plastic weld? I have a tube of  3-m 5200 but I am not so sure this will stick to the  plastic hull long term.  Thanks    Jeff

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jul 4th, 2021 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Brian Riplogle and a fellow next to the bank rent poly kyacks so they might have the tools. But you're right, 5200 will not work near as well.

Posted: Mon Jul 5th, 2021 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
SanCarlos246

Mana: 
Thank you, I will check both of those sources.

Posted: Mon Jul 5th, 2021 02:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
I would look at you tube video's to see what other have done.

Posted: Mon Jul 5th, 2021 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I am about to fix a common problem on Toyota Highlander arm rests, where the cheap plastic supports under the arm rest break free inside the arm rest housing.

On you tube, I found a fix where the guy swears by a product from Bob Smith Industries. It is an epoxy that is made specifically for adhering to plastics. He's tried others from JB Weld and other prominent companies who sell supposed plastic epoxy compounds, but this one is supposed to adhere better than any he has used. Might see if you can get some.

It's called Quik-Cure. It's a five minute, two-part epoxy. Remains somewhat pliable, which I think might be good with the flexing that a yak hull can do.

BTW, is your crack in conjunction with the drive mechanism or the skeg(s)? I have been researching buying one and there were models in the early to mid 2000s that had lots of problems with cracking around these locations on the hull.

Posted: Wed Jul 7th, 2021 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
HDPE is a lot different than car plastics that will fix with KolaLoka and many others.
HDPE called Ropelene can be glued, but it usually first envolves scorcing the surface to provide micro anchor points, and I believe that the tensile strength of 5200 still is about 1/7 of the normally 600 psi when bonding common plastics, woods, and fiberglass. And 3M does not recommend it.

The how to techniques and test results are specifically spelled out by 3M on their Technical Data Sheets for each product, but I also know that welding is the way to do.

Amazon delivers to Mexico, the welding technique is straight forward if you have the right tools and Hobie would be another source of course.

Posted: Thu Jul 8th, 2021 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I have a welder ... somewhere. 

Posted: Thu Jul 8th, 2021 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
https://www.amazon.com/Jounjip-Plastic-Welding-Black-Rods/dp/B07RG8K18D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+welder+kit&qid=1625784723&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3AY4XM7YGOKIF&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUUVMQlBCQU1aU1I1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjIwNjk3MUtGVDhSTlRTMFdOMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjU2MzExM0VNNExVSzJRS09DSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Posted: Thu Jul 15th, 2021 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
John S

Mana: 

An easy repair for any plastic/ roto- molded boat is to use P Tex candles. These are used to repair the base of skis, snowboards, and any manner of plastic water toys on craft.

You don't need a 'welder' or any special machine, just light the end of the P Tex candle with a match, and it will burn and drip (just like a wax candle) into the cracked area and fill it. Once it dries you can sand it down smooth if desired.

You can also use a hot iron - like a iron to do clothes to smooth it out and level it a bit. Once it cools off, and hardens, its fine and will stick.

Epoxy will not bond to /stick on roto molded plastic. 

Usually one can buy P Tex candles in different colors if desired to match the kayak color. You can order P Tex candles on Amazon (different colors) or get them at most sport stores. Very easy to use, no skill needed.

I used to use P Tex to repair base of skis when I lived in ski area, and now I deal with boats, I used it to repair any plastic dinghy or craft that is roto molded plastic which most kayaks are. Plastic is much more durable than fiberglass though usually a bit heavier as well.

Good Luck

John S

Current time is 04:36 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Kayak repair Local plastic welder Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems