San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rain???  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 26th, 2021 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
frankiej

Mana: 
lord knows we need some rain. maybe next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
i know i will be keeping my fingers crossed!

Guaymas, Mexico 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2021 03:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I hope we get rain, but no hurricane…

Attached Image (viewed 604 times):

D12EC46D-F16F-4F68-BF9E-B6A0C790F113.png

Posted: Mon Jun 28th, 2021 03:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
frankiej

Mana: 
last night i saw lighting in the far distant eastern horizon. it was a pretty good light show. Enrique is still days away, maybe this system is drawing moisture from the eastern Sierra Madre to us?

Posted: Wed Jun 30th, 2021 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Hook

Mana: 
frankiej wrote: last night i saw lighting in the far distant eastern horizon. it was a pretty good light show. Enrique is still days away, maybe this system is drawing moisture from the eastern Sierra Madre to us?

Enrique's moisture, and other tropical moisture, is streaming TOWARDS the Sierra Madres, typically. 

The uplift from the mtn. slopes causes the warm, moist air to rise. When it cools enough, microdroplets form as clouds. As the air rises faster and higher, it forms larger drops or, if cold enough, can form hail. These two forms are too heavy to stay suspended, like microdroplets can, so they fall. Collisions on the way down with other drops and hail, separates electrically charged particles that build up within the cloud formations and eventually discharge towards ground (or other clouds) in the form of lightning.

There is a significant amount of airborne moisture that simply evaporates in sunlight, which puts a damper on even more condensation. But as the sun begins to wane, the storms can begin to move BACK towards the west (towards San Carlos), as there is less evaporation, but still plenty of warm air rising to continue the condensation cycle. The body of cool air increases as the sun goes down, so thunderstorm creation can actually increase after dark. The land is still plenty warm enough to create rising, moist air.

Outside of a tropical disturbance that brings moisture directly from the sea to us (some of this IS occurring from the moisture spinning off Enrique), this scenario above is how we typically get thunderstorms. The mountains between us and the Sierras are not really high enough to create this orographic lifting of air that creates thunderstorms. 

But, exceptions can occur. One rather unusual one occurred either last year or the year before, when the remnants of a tropical disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico actually made it all the way over the Sierra Madres and brought us moisture. I think it was 2019.

BTW, the center of Enrique (now downgraded to a tropical depression) actually entered the Sea of Cortez, but it is expected to turn NW and disintegrate over the Sierra de la Giganta mountains near Loreto. 

Last edited on Wed Jun 30th, 2021 03:27 pm by Hook

Posted: Wed Jun 30th, 2021 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
Hook wrote:BTW, the center of Enrique (now downgraded to a tropical depression) actually entered the Sea of Cortez, but it is expected to turn NW and disintegrate over the Sierra de la Giganta mountains near Loreto. 

great explanation , thanks Hook!

looks like this was a dud!

Posted: Wed Jun 30th, 2021 03:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
SBT

Mana: 
Thanks Hook, that was a great explanation.

Posted: Wed Jun 30th, 2021 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i saw no rain, but i guess it did rain last night in Guaymas.

Supervisa alcaldesa estragos ocasionados por la lluvia de anoche | Radar Sonora

Atiende el Municipio daños ocasionados por la lluvia de anoche | Radar Sonora

Posted: Thu Jul 1st, 2021 09:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Hermosillo was dumped on.
The areas east of there have also seen even more heavy rains all last week, with one storm dropping 3" in a afternoon and eve. These areas re feed the aquafier that comes to north Guaymas where the main wells are for San Carlos.

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Thank you for the good news of rain for the aquifer 

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
it's good anytime Sonora gets rain.

* Hermosillo is in the Rio Sonora basin and has approximately 10 aquifers.
the Rio Sonora starts it's catchment near Cananea near the Arizona border, it drains with the geography gathering additional stream catchments until it empties into the sea of Cortez near Bahia Kino or absorbed into one of the several aquifers along it's journey.

* Guaymas / Empalme are in the Rio Matape sub-basin where it's catchment starts around Ortiz, it also drains into the sea of  Cortez around Empalme. there are approximately 3 aquifers in this region.

the Rio Matape sub-basin is not connected to the Rio Sonora basin system, the two drainage's and subsequent aquifers flow in totally different directions.

* there is a mountain range separating OUR aquifer from the primary  Rio Matape sub-basin. the catchment starts approximately at the Robison ranch through the Ejido Pancho Villa to the Sea of Cortez, the wells for San Carlos are in this small aquifer.

our aquifers are replenished by gradual ground absorbing rain fall, torrential down pours "flash flood" directly to the Sea.

P.S.
* look at this attached google earth satellite map, you will see the drainage for aquifer for the wells for San Carlos coming from the mountain range "El Parral" and "Noche Bueno". 

* scroll up to Hermosillo follow HiWay 14 to HiWay 89 they parallel the Rio Sonora. the Rio Sonora also has the LUXURY of SNOW in the UPPER PINE COVERED mountain regions. Snow saturates far better in the aquifers.

Guaymas Map | Mexico Google Satellite Maps

Last edited on Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 02:32 pm by frankiej

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If your only past time in life is contradicting me Frankie I will reciprocrate. Last warning.

The highway that runs south east from Hmo to San Javier where I worked for 20 years crosses arroyos the supply water to La Mesa, La Colorado, San Jose de Pimas and Tecoripa. These Arroyos drain water to Santa Clara and the Ortiz aquafiers that are about 70 miles south west of this highway and cover about 5000 square miles if you only count that portion south of that highway.

And if you go into Guaymas you will see that there is thick mud that recently got washed into the streets from the rain there this week, carrying a car with it.

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: If your only past time in life is contradicting me Frankie I will reciprocrate. Last warning.

The highway that runs south east from Hmo to San Javier where I worked for 20 years crosses arroyos the supply water to La Mesa, La Colorado, San Jose de Pimas and Tecoripa. These Arroyos drain water to Santa Clara and the Ortiz aquafiers that are about 70 miles south west of this highway and cover about 5000 square miles if you only count that portion south of that highway.And if you go into Guaymas you will see that there is thick mud that recently got washed into the streets from the rain there this week, carrying a car with it.
there is a difference between contradicting and CORRECTING delusions.

La Colorado, San Jose de Pimas, Tecorpia they are all on Hiway "16" it is a DIVIDE, a RIDGE line where you describe, one side the flow is into the Rio Sonora basin, from the southern RIM. the other side flows south through La Misa and Ortiz, which forms the Rio Matape sub-basin. making your last sentence post #8 incorrect. look at the SATELLITE map, it's quite clear!

i am attaching a satellite photo that shows where the Rio Matape and the ENTIRE sub-basin drains into the BAY between Empalme and Guaymas.

it would be a pretty good trick, the rain fall coming from where you describe, draining into the bay, then JUMPING a mountain to flood Guaymas.

the flooding, mud and debris came from the steep hills surrounding Guaymas!

Attached Image (viewed 238 times):

20210702_100505.jpg

Last edited on Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 06:24 pm by frankiej

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you can figure out how to look at more than 1 square mile on your Google map even can plainly see could the paths of these rivers.

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
frankiej

Mana: 

i am quite capable of viewing the entire Google map and have correctly described the Rio Sonora basin and the Rio Matape sub-basin water sheds. 

i have made clear were the aquifer for San Carlos's wells ARE and thoroughly described it's water shed.

i have also viewed them many times physically from aircraft.

most readers understand the laws of physics, know well that water runs down hill! i offered and and again will attached the satellite photo so they can be made aware of the PHYSICAL facts of both the Rio Sonora and Rio Matape water sheds from their beginning to end. 
for me your assumptions are absurd!

so, what is your point.

Attached Image (viewed 220 times):

20210702_130621 (1).jpg

Last edited on Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 08:21 pm by frankiej

Posted: Fri Jul 2nd, 2021 11:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Your are scribbling and going on about the Sonora River Basin that has nothing to do with what we are taking about which is water coming into our area.
The Sonora River is NE of Hermosillo.
The highhway and area I am referring to is SE East of Hemosillo, crossing arroyos that run north to south and find there way to the sea going through Santa Clara and Ortiz.
Connect the dots.
Santa Rosa, San Jose de Pimas, San Marcial, Chiclote, La Misa Ortiz,
or La Colorado, El Sudadero, Ortiz
or Noche Buena, El Caballito, Santa Clara, Guaymas

This is what I said.
The areas east of there have also seen even more heavy rains all last week, with one storm dropping 3" in a afternoon and eve. These areas re feed the aquafier that comes to north Guaymas where the main wells are for San Carlos.

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2021 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: This is what I said.
""The areas east of there"" have also seen even more heavy rains all last week, with one storm dropping 3" in a afternoon and eve. ""These"" areas re feed the aquafier that comes to north Guaymas where the main wells are for San Carlos.
and you also said this:
The highway that runs south east from Hmo to San Javier where I worked for 20 years crosses arroyos the supply water to La Mesa, La Colorado, San Jose de Pimas and Tecoripa. ""These Arroyos drain water to Santa Clara"" and the Ortiz aquafiers that are about 70 miles south west of this hiway.

this last sentence is physically impossible, there is a mountain range dividing the two water sheds, ONLY the Rio Matape starts in the mountains of La Colorado, San Jose de Pimas!!!

the water shed that starts south of Hiway 63 the "Kino Bay turnoff", a little north of Noche Bueno DRAINS into the SAME bay between Guaymas and Emplame. 

take a drive on the airport road to and from Empalme, when you can see the AG ponds, you'll be able to see the drainage of both these water sheds.

NOT  Guaymas, AS you ALLEGE, which is up hill and behind a mountain from that drainage into the bay!!

so i do know how to connect the DOTS, you don't know when to through in the towel!

Attached Image (viewed 206 times):

20210702_162843_001.jpg

Last edited on Sat Jul 3rd, 2021 03:01 am by frankiej

Posted: Sat Jul 3rd, 2021 03:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
God bless you

Current time is 09:33 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Rain??? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems