San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
Feliza

Mana: 
6 divers, 2 professinal divers and 4 staff from El Mar Diving Center went out today March 22 to look for the Poseidon's misstress, this boat sank during hurricane Juliette in Sep. 2002, and guess what? They found it!, Our boat Piesquita still at the site, the group will came back to dock tomorrow night, we will share you coordinates, information, etc. we know so far it is a new good spot for diving, lots of fish!

Matt Blair

Mana: 
Wow! Congratulations! That's really exciting. Please keep us posted.

Matt

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Very cool, Feliza and welcome to the board-would really be interested in specifics.

Bart

IronMan

Mana: 
I found this:

http://www.cdnn.info/industry/i011002a/i011002a.html

Big Boat!

gus055

Mana: 
I want too know how it was found in one day?

Feliza

Mana: 
Piesquita is on the way back, will be at the marina at 1:30 this afternoon, we collect the info and share with you later, my staff is exciting, they said is beatiful place to dive!

ACWAMAN

Mana: 
gus055 wrote: I want too know how it was found in one day?

I know the group involved, have been researching the PM's where abouts for a long time, including talking to local fishermen whom have gotten nets tangled up on something in the search area.

No fluke, but a little luck always helps, along with side scanning sonar.

Who wants to go?

Regards

Seamus

gus055

Mana: 
I dont remember the name of the captain on the PM when she went down. Is he part of the group who has been looking?

ACWAMAN

Mana: 
gus055 wrote: I dont remember the name of the captain on the PM when she went down. Is he part of the group who has been looking?

Ramon was the Captain when she went down, but was not part of the search group.

Giram (Pato), the Captain aboard Piesquita that made the search trip, was a crew member on the PM when she went down and drifted for 36 hours I believe, prior to being picked up.

Regards

Seamus

Feliza

Mana: 
Hiram Razcon "Pato", was a mate on the Poseidon's Mistress, he is our boat captain on the Piesquita, he has the full history of this and will share with us today, we will have a conference with the local news, the government like to declare a official new wreck diving for San Carlos. We will share full information this afternoon with you, in advance would like to thanks Ric Johnson, Ray Gundy and my full staff from El Mar to make this happen they been working on this for a month and put a lot effort to find the boat.

ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Hiram!

When I use a J, they use a G, when I use G, they use an H, which I would have used to begin with, had I not been lead astray.

Feliza, please have all your staff spell their names frenetically.

Thanks

Seamus

Matt Blair

Mana: 
Well said Shaymous. Well said.

ACWAMAN

Mana: 
That's Shameless to you Matt.

IronMan

Mana: 
I thought you were from Tahiti, Chez Mousse?

Last edited on Wed Mar 24th, 2010 10:53 pm by IronMan

gus055

Mana: 
Ive been on PM, so I have probably met Pato, just dont remember. I lost touch with the owners of PM several years ago.

Feliza

Mana: 
We had a meeting with all this people involve in the expedition and decide to keep the location of Poseidon's secret until we clear the area and we make sure is safe to dive, because the nets of the fishing boats and stuff around is very dangerous to penetrate now, and we are afraid people get too excited and do mistakes, we don't want accidents, but for sure we will do this ASAP and hopefully soon we all can go to the Poseidon, we do have the anchor at the shop and will keep there.

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Way to go, Feliza.  This is so cool.  Can you say depth of the dive at this point?

Feliza

Mana: 
Depth is about 60 feet, like the Ferry boat, not too deep, but dangerous because the boat conditions, but as far we know, boat is complete, no brocken in parts, is going to be a very cool spot for diving!!

pastrybarb

Mana: 
Hello Feliza and all who have responded to this post. I was the owner of Poseidon's Mistress and have just been informed of her discovery. It was a very sad day when I, in the US at the time, was told that she was going down. I was supposed to be on that trip, but rearranged my schedule at the request of the previous dive group. In spite of the circumstances that the passengers had to go though, I was relived to know they all had the strength to get to shore or were rescued. God was watching them that day. I subsequently made attempts to locate the boat, but to no avail. One of the the skiffs managed to float to Bahia Kino, where two of the on-board kayaks ended up as well. I still have the life-ring that was stationed on the side of the vessel, and that's the only tangible thing I have to remind me of that great dive boat and her adventures.

I had given up hope of the boat ever being found years ago, and was hopeful that it would become a great dive spot for a good wreck dive. At least that has come true. I hope I can someday visit her again. She has many stories to tell if you listen carefully when you visit...

And for those of you who did have the privilege of visiting, I remember you. I kept all the visitor logs. And notes. Lots of notes!!! :-D

Barb Wilson

pastrybarb

Mana: 
One other thing. Pato was one of our crew members. And a great guy. Although he was listed on our despacho as "Hiram", like "the Walker drink." You guys are lucky to have him as a crew member. He's solid.

ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Nice to hear from you Barb, sorry that we are celebrating what was once a tragic event for you.

I'm sure that you have information, lay out details, blue prints maybe, that might be very useful to the El Mar dive team, in making the wreck a safe dive site.

Perhaps you could contact Feliza at El Mar in San Carlos, or Tonia, the owner of their store in Mesa, AZ?

http://elmar.com/

I'm sure they can arrange for you to join them on a future voyage up to the site.

Regards

Seamus

racer59

Mana: 
130 TONS ALUMINIUM  TO MANY PACIFICOS

Feliza

Mana: 
Barb we are soo glad hear from you, we are really happy to found the Poseidon, Pato is very excited, you know that his experience at that day mark his life forever, we are putting the full information together and I will love to send you pictures and more information about it. Will take us at least two more days, can you please send me a personal e-mail you can find our information in the el mar web site and will respond you back with a package to you in a couple days, regards!

pastrybarb

Mana: 
I believe I have all the schematics of the boat when it was assayed before we went though the Panama Canal delivering the boat to San Carlos. I'll be happy to look for anything I have and get with Tonia. After sitting on this info for a couple of days now, I am both happy and sad, but it will bring much needed closure for me.

Feliza

Mana: 
Please check this web site, there is a information about it and pictures.

http://www.whatsupsancarlos.com/2010/02/16/poseidon/

pastrybarb

Mana: 
Feiza, I had not seen the pictures of the passengers before they had to abandon ship, or the photos of Poseidon going under. Wow! What can I say except that it's very emotional looking at those photos. Who took them?

Feliza

Mana: 
I didn't send to you because I tought you already have it, sorry about it, one of the passengers took thoses pictures, I will send you a CD with all the pictures and information that we have.

broereb

Mana: 
So, how come with all the buoys, life rafts, life vests, diver/boat below etc etc floating stuff nobody managed to tie a piece of string to something to mark the spot ? It would have made it a lot easy-er to find back. Slightly used air compressor for sale?

Feliza

Mana: 
The crew tied a bouy but didn't work, maybe because the strong wind who knows, and they went back a week later to try locate it but didn't work

DM for now

Mana: 
I think that the Location would be a secret for a while.

Biscuit

Mana: 
How wonderful that such a lovely lady has been found. It may be sad for now, Barb, but hopefully that sadness will be eased by knowing the Princess will be soon be loved and enjoyed by many.

Feliza

Mana: 
Hello, I just want update in our progress on the Poseidon, we are holding the coordenates until we make it safer, El Mar doesn't take any responsability if other people found the Poseidon and is diving without safety procedures. We will share the location after we clean the boat, for that we need founds and we are figuring out what we can do to take thoses nets off the boat and than we can share with all our friends in San Carlos and promote it. I will meet some people in Hermosillo next week and we keep posted in the progress. We are anxious to have Poseidon ready.

Biscuit

Mana: 
Out of curiosity, anyone know the current ownership situation of the boat? I don't know about something like this in territorial waters but it seems that often an insurance company assumes salvage ownership if a claim has been paid. Depending on ownership and any plans to float it, leave it lying, or move it to a different location less hazardous to fishermen, there could be a great opportunity for community involvement.

Perhaps a group of interested parties - ecologists, divers, and others committed to preserving the site - would contribute both funding and personal efforts to clear nets, safe the craft, and install anchorages far enough away from the wreck for safety's sake. It's been done quite successfully before and sounds like an exciting and satisfying prospect!

Last edited on Wed Apr 14th, 2010 06:27 am by Biscuit

Feliza

Mana: 
Hope we can get the founds thru the government if not we will go for the plan B, which is going to be something that you already mentioned, by the way, you have great ideas, thank you! Who really owns the boat now is the mexican government because was found in mexican waters. Because is already an aritificial wreck, the mexican laws protect the boat and nobody can move and do anything against the marine life in there, we wish this can be regulate like in the US but is totally different.

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Feliza

I and others would be curious to know what the government will and will not allow vis a vis the wreck site.  Can the nets be removed and other steps taken to make the site safer for divers?  Can the site be marked to preclude more nets getting entangled?  Can anchorages be established to preclude dropping anchors and stuff on the wreck? 

I know the ferry wreck, which was created as a wreck dive site is not marked and have been told that markers have been removed for various reasons, depending on who is telling the story.

Let us know what can be done to help.

Thanx

Bart

Feliza

Mana: 
Hell Bart, I worked for Cortez Explorer 15 years ago, and I do remember the ferry was marked many times from Club Med people but the fishing pangas were stealing every time, so didn't work. Unfortunally the fishermans are not in this side of the tourist  business and conservation and they think different than us. Our idea for now is to remove the nets and make the dive safer at the Poseidon, when our crew went to dive to the boat, the visibility and conditions were ugly, we will do an other trip soon and take more pictures and video of the boat than we will present to CEDES (Ecology and Conservation of Sonora) and we will go from that. Our first idea was to open a bank account to collect founds, invite to the other dive shops to run trip to poseidon┬┤s and use part of this money toward poseidon proyect but the chief of CEDES is really friend of my family and he offer his help, of course like everything in the government, takes time and a lot paper work, next week I will be able to see if this will really happens, if not, than we will go for the plan that I already mentioned and of course we will need everybody┬┤s help.

Biscuit

Mana: 
That sounds good, Feliza! You've been familiar with the AZ/CA/MX dive communities for a long time (viva la Cortez Explorer!) so you know folks will help in any way possible... even if you do have funding from CEDES, which would be a miracle in itself. :cool:
Lynnette

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems