San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: gwbuild, bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hiking Trails  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
AlS

Mana: 
Several years ago I bought paper 1:50,000 Topos of Guaymas, San Carlos, and a couple of quadrangles northwest along the coast. I bought them from Omni and had them delivered to Seattle. San Carlos is quadrangle G12A19.
http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/mex-map.htm

Recently I found a source for Digital Raster Maps that you can buy. I have not tried it. In fact, I cannot figure out if they deliver the DRG file electronically or via the postal service.
http://www.mexicomaps.com/mexico_topographic_maps.lasso?-session=mmid:181325021de8e24A6AgINOF4B974

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jan 2nd, 2011 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
canamex

Mana: 
Hello,

I've hiked quite a few areas around San Carlos. Mostly just bush wacking and animal trails but also Teta Kawi a few times, and all the trails you mentioned. I've been up to several ridges and view spots from high hills. I'd be interested in going with anyone on some more of these exploratory hikes. I usually carry a garbage bag to take out litter so I am a little concerned about making some of the easier walks more available. Seems the grafitti /basura crowd has done enough damage at the beaches and Nacapule etc.

Anyway, I'm around until May 2011 so PM me or reply to this thread.

Thanks, Michael

PS I'm reasonably fit, 60...and kayak and mountain bike as well.

Posted: Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
AlS

Mana: 
News: I just got topographic base map data for the Guaymas/ San Carlos area.

The source of the data is US NASA - so there are NO restrictions on use or distribution. It was well hidden, took a lot of manipulation, and still needs a bit of cleanup and field verification. The contour interval is 20 meters - although it is currently displayed in feet.

It is in a vector format - so it is easy to add anything to it - trails, landmarks, roads, gates that block access. Currently it is ONLY contours.

Definitely a work in progress. When more complete it can easily be added to Garmin devices, PC/Mac viewers, Android, iPad/iPhone/iTouch, or print sections at specific zoom levels. Lots of others are possible too.

Posted: Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 05:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
AlS

Mana: 
Michael (CanaMex),

I would like to join you for some hikes. I'm 58, but perhaps not quite as buff.

We returned to Seattle for the holidays and will be back Jan 7.

asjogren1 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Posted: Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
canamex

Mana: 
Hello,

Sure, get in touch when you get back to San Carlos. I'm not "buff" either. I just really like to get out in the desert and I find its more rewarding when I actually climb a big hill or get a different view. Usually an hour or so getting someplace is about right. Then, stop and enjoy the birds, plants and ... back home, maybe for a siesta ;-)

email me with PM when you like.

Thanks, Michael

Last edited on Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 09:29 pm by canamex

Posted: Mon Jan 10th, 2011 04:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
AlS

Mana: 
SunDial, El Tomate, & Desert Trails

Gates. Where are they? Are they legal? Is there "toll"?

I am building a custom map of San Carlos/Guaymas and want to collect and publish so visitors and residents can enjoy all that this wonderful place has to offer.

Saturday I visited the SunDial for the first time in 5 years. Obviously, the electronic gate is new since my last visit. By trial and error I found a route along the shore, behind the gate, and simply walked to the historic site. I have GPS track of how to bypass the gate. I can publish this track. But, I am not certain that I should. I don't know if the gate is legal. And neither do I know if the bypass is legal.

The number of gates blocking access to hikes and bicycle routes is increasing.

I remember the SunDial was a wonderful spot to take visitors. It was an easy 10 minute walk that most people could easily negotiate. And the views were spectacular. The bypass of the gate is NOT for everyone. One needs to scramble over questionable terrain.

It is very sad that the SunDial is now unavailable to the majority of visitors and residents. Have the local government authorities said anything about this? Is that gate legal? Should that gate be opened during daylight hours, or modified, so that hikers can again enjoy the spot donated to the community many, many years ago?

Where are all these other gates? Are there conditions that allow traversal? Is a "toll" required? Are only certain classes of travel allowed? Are there specific hours of operation?

I plan to incorporate any of this information in the custom map. And make that map available for free for non-commercial use for the visitors and residents of San Carlos.

If we share the information we know about San Carlos, more of us will be able to enjoy this wonderful place.

asjogren1 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Posted: Fri Apr 8th, 2011 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
bjbritton

Mana: 
Thanks for your information on these hikes.  Do you anyone who is a hiking tour guide?  I would like to hire someone to guide several of us up to the "narrows" you mentioned.  I did it several years back and couldn't find it again without a guide!  But, I remember the 60-minute one-way hike up in the mountains was worth it. 

Posted: Fri Apr 8th, 2011 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
AlS

Mana: 
BJBritto -

We have run into someone from Gary's Dive Shop that does some hiking tours. We ran into him and his clients at Nacapule Canyon.

We have talked with people who have used him and they told us that they were impressed.

We don't remember his name. But, the Dive Shop should be a good place to start.

Posted: Sat Apr 9th, 2011 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
bjbritton

Mana: 
Thank you!  I will give it a try.

Posted: Tue Apr 12th, 2011 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
gwbuild

Mana: 
There was some... er... heated discussion on the sun dial gate on the other forum.

Some felt the gate was not legal, but unless the police get involved, it is there to stay and opened only at will by whomever installed it.

You can go over to the beach club and hike out to the sundial. Its unfortunate that to do this you have to pass some sketchy terrain  along the cliff side and (at least to me) are made to feel like a trespasser as you go by the houses on the cliff. But technically there would be space enough for a public corridor along the cliffs to allow access.

Maybe a community effort to actually construct a safe trail along the side would be the way to go. Seeing such an effort, maybe the gate owners would create a walking space at their gate instead of wanting a full blown trail to be built between their house and the water.

This is definitely a touchy subject in some circles though...

Posted: Sun Apr 17th, 2011 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
AlS

Mana: 
The east side of the peninsula is easier to navigate along the rocky beach to bypass the gate to the sun dial. 

Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
FredR

Mana: 
It's a year later and we ran into a locked gate - any updates? This place has a very special meaning for us. So much so, that in the "pre-gate" years we collected garbage to keep it tidy.

Posted: Fri Mar 23rd, 2012 07:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
canamex

Mana: 
The gate is a shame and I doubt the legality of blocking access. I've just climbed over on the left side and also just rolled under it (it is about 12" or more clearance and easy). Keep picking up the litter please. I do it on all my walks.

There are loads of great places to hike and some of the ranchers are happy with a 50 peso fee to cross their land. They appreciate a cold drink, a candy bar, and friendly folks trying to speak Spanish. Most of the hills are an hour or two max and worth the effort to enjoy the view. Many of the canyons and arroyos are amazing too. Enjoy, Canamex

Posted: Fri Mar 23rd, 2012 08:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
FredR

Mana: 
You are agile. You can climb and roll :-) That's not an option for many including me. Using the precedent of this subdivsion, it may be plausible for any other subdivision to do the same. That sure would make a mokery out of the intent of the law to provide access to the coastline for all. Let's hope it does not come to that. The sun dial has been a popular tourist attraction for many years and it appears that it is now lost in favor of private rights established long after the sun dial was built... Thanks for the tips anyway.

Posted: Wed Apr 5th, 2017 10:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
WRodriquez

Mana: 
AlS wrote: The east side of the peninsula is easier to navigate along the rocky beach to bypass the gate to the sun dial.  By "easy to navigate" do you mean that the path is straightforward, or that the trail is not inclined or uneven?
I am trying to figure out what people mean when they talk about the skill level for a hike?
Is an expert hike long, include actual climbing, dangerous in some way?
I would like to get out more, but I am not sure what to expect with some of these hikes.

Posted: Thu Apr 6th, 2017 03:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
AlS

Mana: 
I have not hiked this for about 5 years, so it might have changed.  Mid-tide or lower allowed a fairly easy hike along the beach on the east side until I found a way upwards (west) to the subdivision.  I wore old tennis shoes and carried no walking stick.
As a reference for ability - I have hiked Tetakowi from the road side. I found it easy, but strenuous going up.  Descent was tense for me.

Posted: Mon Apr 10th, 2017 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
WRodriquez

Mana: 
Why was going down tense? Is this because the incline was so severe going up?

Posted: Mon Apr 10th, 2017 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
AlS

Mana: 
Why tense? Loose material. And perhaps bifocal glasses that make depth perception when looking down different.

Current time is 12:59 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Outdoor Rec Forum > Hiking Trails Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems