San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Security in the bay  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 05:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Well our 41 Morgan was robbed last week, some very nice solar panels were taken off the boat, I was told another boat was robbed and or the solar panels for the light houses as well.

Our 26 foot Sea Quest was ransacked and they broke one of our new windows with the bow of their Panga when they went through it.

I am thinking about starting a security service in the bay and wondering what people think about that and how much would you be willing to spend on a monthly basis to have some one out there during the night hours when most of the theft is taking place.

All comments are welcomed.

Last edited on Tue Mar 9th, 2010 05:24 am by Vince Radice

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 09:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Misty Too

Mana: 
Think its a good idea... how about 10-20 dollars per month with enough folks it might work.

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 01:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Ya that is the idea, the more people we can get interested the cheaper it will be and we can create two or three jobs all at the same time. Robbery in the Bay has been an issue for a long time, in this economic environment it was only a question of time when it would happen again.

Posted: Thu Mar 11th, 2010 08:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
janet and clint

Mana: 
Hi Where were these boats when they were robbed?

Posted: Thu Mar 11th, 2010 09:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
On their mooring buoys off to the south west side of the bay

Last edited on Thu Mar 11th, 2010 09:41 pm by Vince Radice

Posted: Thu Mar 11th, 2010 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
2ndtimer

Mana: 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Translation:  Who will guard the guardians?

Last edited on Fri Mar 12th, 2010 02:57 pm by 2ndtimer

Posted: Thu Mar 11th, 2010 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
janet and clint

Mana: 
What?

Posted: Thu Mar 11th, 2010 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
janet and clint

Mana: 
Sorry Vince about the boats being robbed. Unfortunately robbery problems are increasing everywhere. Is the Marina Seca having any problems with robbery on boats?

Posted: Thu Mar 11th, 2010 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
janet and clint

Mana: 
We took our Neptune 24 to Elephant Butte, NM for the spring and summer and hope to be in San Carlos with it Permanently by October. We are working out the bugs and learning how to sail. Can't wait to get there to SC.

Posted: Fri Mar 12th, 2010 03:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Not sure about Marina Seca but I suspect there has been some theft out there, it is almost impossible to police that whole yard being as large as it is.

Posted: Fri Mar 12th, 2010 12:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
We've stored our boat at Marina Seca for 10 years with no problems at all.

Bart

Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2010 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
glitter

Mana: 
It is unfortunate to hear of thefts off boats. It sounds like the implication is that it is the locals.  However, I would not be too quick to point fingers.  After chatting about this with other boats along the coast and thinking about it, I believe the culprit may be on the boat next door.  Think about it: pangas have no use for small outboards, solar panels, etc.  Houses in Guaymas do not have solar panels, and you can't buy them there. There is no use or market for la gente.  But there is a use and market for other boaters. 

So, any solution that involves listening for pangas in the bay at night may be mis-directed.  Maybe it is better to look for this stuff being re-sold on the docks, make a plea to the boating community, and just make things are as secure as possible.  Also, note which boat untied the dock lines the day before!

Posted: Wed Mar 17th, 2010 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Tecate Runner

Mana: 
Come on, ~~~ glitter ~~~ don't bullshit yourself, ~~~ this has ~~~ LOCALS ~~~ written all over it, common sense dictates this ~~~ now YOU think about it, ~~~ the people that have boats, power, or sail, in SC marinas, or any marina for that matter, have plenty of $$$ ~~~ they don't need to steal anything, and wouldn't want to, ~~~ and in a foreign country, where if caught would be hung from the nearest mast, ~~~ come on now, ~~~ the things that are ripped off already have an order in for them, the ~~~ BANDITOS ~~~ PANGEROS ~~~ have them sold before the goods even leave the boats, come on now ~~~ you can't be that naive !!!

Posted: Wed Mar 17th, 2010 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
janet and clint

Mana: 
Please forgive me for analyzing this so much. I agree security is needed. A body watching a house, boat or cars always helps. I go to Palomas, Chihuahua every week for my artisan's cooperative. I usually stop by the Pink Store for a lemonade or a margarita (well, I wish that was more often.). In front I have befriended a few of the car window washers and they take good care of my car. Now I take them whole wheat bread from an incredible bakery and clothes for their families. Destitution contributes to thievery. by the Way, I love those car window washers. I usually tell them not to bother to wipe down my car, just keep a watch on it. When I drive into town and pass them, they yell out my name. (I am a little bit egotistical at least.) They are my friends and would do anything they could for me. Would befriending the Pangueros and helping them to meet their needs help the situation in San carlos at all?

Forgive my wordy letter, but we are dreaming of spending a lot more time down in San Carlos and everything there is interesting to me.

We are the couple who are headed that way later in the year with a 24 foot Neptune that we will leave there. I will make sure that we meet you all. Actually I am so friendly, you can't avoid me.

Posted: Wed Mar 17th, 2010 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Misty Too

Mana: 
This is all great but is there anyone interested in contributing for some form of security in the bay? That was the question.

Posted: Fri Mar 19th, 2010 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
glitter

Mana: 
Yes, we need to hire somebody to watch the boat next door...the one that left yesterday.  If you sail around Mexico, even before the economic downturn, you will hear many long-time cruisers unfortunately come to this conclusion.  I just would not ignore its possibility--for reasons previously stated. 

Current time is 08:50 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > Security in the bay Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems