San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tell us your Shark Encounters  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 16th, 2009 07:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 

Friday we saw a whale shark, water was too rough for me to take my camera out, but today I got lucky and ran into another one. I had not seen one up close before, this one is the second in the last 4 days. They are simply amazing up close.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jun 16th, 2009 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
desertdiver

Mana: 
That is very amazing! Where have you been finding the whale sharks?

Posted: Tue Jun 16th, 2009 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 
Friday I found it really close to haystack, he was probably just 400 - 500 yards from the coats, yesterday I ran into 1o miles out on a 190

I had a mask and snorkel with me, water was calm and he swam by the boat for several minutes, I could not jump in because I had customers on the boat and could not leave the helm unatended. I wonder if I will ever have the chance again :shock:

Posted: Tue Jun 16th, 2009 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
azkellie

Mana: 
This is amazing!  All the times I've come to SC I've always dreamed of encountering one of these beauties up close!  Great job!!

Posted: Wed Jun 17th, 2009 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
  Hammer heads out at the island, whale sharks out at Haystack, man this is turning out to be Shark week in San Carlos.  Now lets hope they stay the summer.:D

Posted: Wed Jun 17th, 2009 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Panga68

Mana: 
I will have my camera ready to go the next time I'm out a the island.  I didn't think anyone would believe me when I saw the hammer heads.  I'm glad mike could conform my sighting:cool:

Posted: Wed Jul 1st, 2009 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
ROMBO

Mana: 
Saw a mid-sized Whale Shark near Tortuga on Saturday.  Beautiful fish!

Posted: Wed Jul 1st, 2009 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
ROMBO

Mana: 

Last edited on Wed Jul 1st, 2009 11:00 pm by ROMBO

Posted: Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 01:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Susan C

Mana: 
On Sunday -10 days ago a friend was diving off of a fish camp north of San Carlos when a shadow swallowed him.
(He had someone translate word for word his encounter).
He remembered it being a cloudless day when he dove and turned his head to find himself eye to eye with a 4meter long whale shark. He touched it and held it's tail and was pulled around a bit. He then said the whale shark swam in an arc and came right next to him and stopped. He then reached out and grabbed it's fin and it took him for a short ride. He has been diving for 20+ years and has never experienced anything like this. He said he has always noted how beautiful whalesharks are looking down on them from a boat but being next to them or even looking UP at them made him appreciate life more.
OK, so we lost a little in translation but wanted to share.

Posted: Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
gus055

Mana: 
The people reporting the whale shark sightings sure do make me jelous.:D

Posted: Wed Jul 8th, 2009 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Panga68

Mana: 
On the way back from the island on sunday we ran into two small hammerheads free swimming.  :P

Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2009 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
WISEGUY1

Mana: 
Spent 50 minutes with this one in early August.  BTW--I have read posts where people are boasting about "hopping on for a ride" on some of these amazing animals.  The whale shark is an endagered species.  Don't harrass them.  Besides not being good for the animals, it may encourage them to leave the area.  This would deprive others of seeing these creatures.  Plus whale sharks are a great reson to drive tourists (and their wallets) to San Carlos.  In short, look but don't touch.

Attachment: amazing san carlos-56.jpg (Downloaded 223 times)

Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2009 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
PQ Almada

Mana: 
What an amazing piture!!!!!

Posted: Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 12:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Stuart

Mana: 
A couple of years ago, we crossed over by Tortuga to fish. The water was crystal clear that day. As I was trolling along, I saw a dark shape just below the surface ahead of us. I slowed down and drifted up on something I had only ever seen in pictures, but I knew immediately what it was - a basking shark. Not a whale shark, but a true basking shark, just cruising slowly through the water with its mouth (as big as a 55 gallon drum) wide open and straining plankton as it went. It was an incredible sight and I felt quite fortunate to have actual seen something I've only ever read about.

Also, we hooked a great white near San Jorge Island in Penasco about 12 years ago. I was fishing in a panga with an old Mexican captain and his young son. It bit the head of a sand bass and the Mexican kid brought it up slowly and gently on a handline; I don't even think it knew it was hooked. About 14 ft. long. It eyed us real good and bumped under the panga a couple of times, then threw its head and cut the mono handline and back to the depths it went. That kind of killed any desire of wanting to snorkel with the sea lions at the island!

Posted: Wed Oct 28th, 2009 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Phantom

Mana: 
While fishing around a dead whale June 24th we had the awesome chance to video a Great White under out 21' boat. We where about 4 miles SW of san pedro island. Someone  Even witness it taking a chomp out of the whale. You can see the video buy going up to "search" and typing in Great White, it's on utube.  enjoy    BJ

Posted: Fri Oct 30th, 2009 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
JZ

Mana: 
polarosoman wrote: Hey, I just watched shark week on discovery. I thought it would be interesting to hear any of your shark encounter stories. Whether diving or fishing.  What did you see, how many and where did you see them. Did you see them Scuba diving Snorkeling, or Spearfishing. Hope there is not already a post like this. I did a search but didn't find anything.  Can't wait to hear some great stories.  :D
About 4 years ago I cruising down Baja about 3-5 miles offshore.  About 10 miles North of Guardian Angle Island.  We were flying along, almost 50mph.  There wasn't a wave or even a ripple in the water.  Late afternoon and the sun was just starting to head down.  About 300 feet in front of boat square in our path there was something floating right at the surface absolutely perpendicular to the boat.  Not swimming or anything.  Just hovering there.  I had to swerve to keep from hitting it.  It was a blackish colored shark maybe 3-4 foot long.

Posted: Sun Nov 1st, 2009 01:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Hey Desert Diver Mike,

This is really cool stuff, when you report back from your trip, why don't you start a new thread, as this one started almost 18 months ago.

Thanks!

Seamus

Current time is 04:46 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > Tell us your Shark Encounters Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems