San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Direct TV  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
bzshopr

Mana: 
Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how to get Direct TV in my condos at Bahia Delfin.  I have 2 condos, an upstairs and downstairs.  I have a Direct TV account in the US and have read posts on here about using the account to get service in Mexico but I'm sure as you all know..Direct TV had no knowledge of how to do that.

Can someone please give information on what items I need from Direct TV and how to get it installed at Bahia Delfin.

Thanks so much!

Jill

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
GARYGARRISON

Mana: 
BRING YOUR DIRECT TV BOX FROM U.S. AND YOUR DONE

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
bzshopr

Mana: 
When you say Direct TV Box are you referring to the receiver.  Sorry I am not very electronic friendly. :)  Do I need one for each condo?

Thanks

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JZ

Mana: 
1.  Buy 2 more receivers or 1 more if you are going to use the one you already have in the US.  You need a receiver per room.  There are lots of sources for receivers both over the internet and brick and mortar stores.  Best Buy and Circuit City carry them for about $100.

2.  Change your programming with DirecTV to support multiple receivers.  You can do this online at http://www.directv.com.  The monthly charge for additional receivers is pretty cheap ($5?).

3.  You need a 1 meter dish for the best reception.  One dish can support multiple receivers.

4.  Call Chava in SC at 622-109-0707 to do the installation for you.  It should cost you $50 to $100 depending on your existing cabling.  He can also get a dish for you. Maybe also the receivers.  But buying the hardware from him will cost you more than bringing it from the US.

Last edited on Tue Oct 30th, 2007 06:07 am by JZ

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2007 10:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
RichD

Mana: 
All good advice from JZ.  This might be obvious but I will state it anyway since you mentioned you are electronically challenged.  The box alone will not work without the subscriber card.  It identifies the box as belonging to a paid up subscriber.  If you do not have Direct TV in the states, you will have to subscribe there or get a friend that is a subscriber to order additional boxes (and cards).  An alternative is to get the Mexican sat TV called Sky.  They have some channels in English.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Master98

Mana: 
We have a condo in Bahia Delfin and Chava installed satellite dishes (2) for us, one for local Tucson channels and one for all the other hundreds of channels. We brought down a receiver from our Tucson service and he did the wiring to our unit and also 2 others in the building using the same satellite dishes and a splitter to feed each unit. You will probably need 2 receivers to supply TV to 2 different units, but I would call Chava and ask him you questions. He and his partner can also wire light fixtures, etc. Good luck!

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JZ

Mana: 
You shouldn't need two dishes to receive local channels.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bzshopr

Mana: 
Thanks so much for all the info.  You all are so helpful on this board.  I really appreciate it!!

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RichD

Mana: 
If your subscription is from Tucson you will need 2 dishes as the local Tucson channels are on a different sattelite.  I have seen people that have working systems with 2 dishes and they are aimed differently.  My system has Phoenix channels and they are weak, especially at night but I do not need 2 dishes.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 03:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
bzshopr

Mana: 
My subscription is out of Fountain Hills, AZ which is on the outskirts of Phoenix.  I only have 1 dish here at home.  Do you think I need 1 or 2 dishes?

Thanks

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Try with one big one first.  If it doesn't work add another.  I get SoCal channels and all the others with one dish.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Your local channels should be Phoenix and you will only need one dish but don't expect perfect reception on the local channels, especially at night.  The 39 inch dish is recommended.  See Chava as mentioned in previous post as he is the local expert.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
mainave

Mana: 
Hi Jill:

We also have a condo at Bahia del Fin and we used Gabriel to install our direct TV dish.  We actually installed two dishes - one for Direct TV and one for Local Tucson Channels.  Each dish allows 4 hook-ups - we let the other condo owners within the same building hookin to help defer the costs.

Unfortunatley Gabriel's business card is in the condo at Bahia but I found him thru Chaba whose local number is 622-109-0707.  I got Chaba's number from Susan Sarnoski.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
pturner

Mana: 
When I brought my satellite control box down to hook up with the satellite dish (DirectTV) I found that no local stations were transmitting and the person who installed the dish had told me that I would not be able to receive local stations.  However, I have since found out that if you will call your DirectTV provider and tell them that you need to obtain the "East Coast and West Coast feed" because you will be traveling across country in an RV, then they will obtain permission from the local networks (this is mandatory) to get the major network broadcasts.  This may take a few weeks to accomplish, but it can be done.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
JZ

Mana: 
mainave wrote: Chaba whose local number is 622-109-0707.  I got Chaba's number from Susan Sarnoski.

It is Chava.  V's sound like B's in Spainish.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
bzshopr

Mana: 
Has anyone else had problems like the response above? Had problems getting local channels and had to tell Direct TV they were traveling in an RV? 

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
freewheeler

Mana: 
We had to go through a lot of paperwork and proof of ownership of an RV a couple of years ago.  And then, since we didn't activate it for a couple of months down here at our home, it was cancelled and we were told we'd have to go through the whole  process again....not so easy...and by then, we had sold the RV!  We get Phoenix via a large dish -- gets a weaker signal after 9 p.m., though, on local networks.  The reception varies somewhat by the time of year.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 06:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Master98

Mana: 
Direct TV assumes our receiver is in our home in Tucson. Make sure your receiver is active and updated in your home area before you bring it down and that makes it easy for Chava and Gabriel to install. We had to update ours in San Carlos and that was a bit of a hassle but it works fine now. Again, contact Chava before you come with any questions and he should be able to help you.

Posted: Wed Oct 31st, 2007 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
freewheeler

Mana: 
Chava is good, but there is another Directv guy named Scott who is possibly a little lower priced and does a good job, as well. 

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 06:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Is anyone in SC operating a Direct TV system with the new 5 LNBs for getting HDTV?

Current time is 08:04 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Direct TV Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems