San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Posting Photos  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
We get asked about posting photos quite often.  We have some settings in the board that limit photos by width and by total size of the file in bytes.  Those limits are 600 pixels wide and 102,400 bytes or 102 kb.  We ask that you do not exceed these so we are not s t r e t c hing the page to see your photo.  Photos that are too large may be deleted.

The problem comes in when the image comes out of the handy-dandy new digital camera that you used to take that great shot with.  Depending on the camera resolution setting, that picture might be really B  I  G and will not fit our parameters.
Now what?

If you have MS office it has a program called MS Office Picture Manager that will let you resize and reduce the pixel content, this reducing the file size.  You might also have MS Digital Image Suite on your computer. The Windows Picture Viewer will not let you edit the photo file.  Macs have a program called iPhoto  that will edit photo files.

Google has a free program called Picasa that you can download-have not tried it but looks pretty comprehensive and its free.

Other programs that will let you edit the photo files include:
-the program that came with your camera-first place to check
-lots of free photo editors online-do a Google search for Free Photo Editors and download one.
-online photo services-may have fees associated
-Photo editor programs like Paint Shop Pro, Adobe PhotoShop, Corel Draw, etc-these are usually not cheap.  BTW, I use Paint Shop Pro

You need to save the edited file on your computer (My Pictures, maybe) so you can browse to it and find it.  Link to that file in the browse screen below this window and presto, the photo will appear in your post.  You must add some text to the post to get it to work. 

Happy Posting!

Bart

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jun 21st, 2008 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
You can only attach a single image per post using the attach function below the message body window.

If your photos are on the web somewhere (see http://imageshack.us/ for a free place to post photos for message boards, etc), then you can insert links to multiple images using the insert image function at the top of this window and they will display.

This preserves storage and bandwidth on our server but still lets you share your cool pics.  This is how Fernando posts those great fish action shots on the fishing forum.

Thanx
Bart

Posted: Sat Jun 21st, 2008 09:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
leesa

Mana: 
Thank you
I'm uploading to photobucket and working it that way.
I am reducing them to 800 x 600.
Hopefully I'll have them up today.

Leesa

Posted: Tue Nov 10th, 2009 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bmiller

Mana: 
bartmanaz wrote:
You need to save the edited file on your computer (My Pictures, maybe) so you can browse to it and find it.  Link to that file in the browse screen below this window and presto, the photo will appear in your post.  You must add some text to the post to get it to work. 

Better clarify that. You can't link to a photo on "your" computer. The photo needs to be somewhere on the web, a photo hosting site, and link to that. Some of the free photo hosting sites will not allow you to link to boards like this. 
I'd hate for someone to get frustrated trying to post that perfect sunset photo they are so proud of:cool:

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2012 12:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
We seem to be getting lots of posts lately, where pictures could not be added for one reason or another.  Here are a couple of ways to do this.  As stated earlier in this thread, many digital cameras will produce photos that are too large to add as attachments.  If you are using Windows, you probably have Microsoft Office Picture Manager on your computer.  See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/compress-a-picture-HP001018672.aspx for instructions on how to use the software to compress your photo.

For other operating systems, do a search for How to Compress a Picture and you should find instructions appropriate to your system.

(Yes, you can link to a photo on your computer, as long as it meets the size limitations imposed by our forum software. The photo becomes an attachment and will upload to the server.)

You can also post your photos to the photo gallery that are larger and the software will size them appropriately.  You can then link the photos and your post.  The advantage to using the gallery is you can add multiple photos to a single post.

See http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum5/8141.html for instructions on using the photo gallery option.

Thanx

Bart

Posted: Sat Sep 10th, 2016 07:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Taken from an earlier post in March 2016
I have increased the size for an attachment to 1MB.  
Also see http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum5/8141.html for tips on posting photos.
Also take a look at http://www.picresize.com/ for an online photo resize software.

Current time is 06:11 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Read Me First > Read Me First > Posting Photos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems