San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Current San Carlos Diving Conditions  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
SirDiveAlot

Mana: 
I would like to limit the discussion on this topic to just dive conditions. 

It's difficult to find out the San Carlos diving conditions unless you subscribe to some weather buoy service that costs $90/yr. 

If anyone has recently dived in San Carlos, please post the diving conditions here.  You know, things such as water temperatures, current, surface weather, visibility, dive sites, creature sightings, etc.

Gracias!! ;):):D:cool:

Last edited on Thu Apr 12th, 2007 04:44 am by SirDiveAlot

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2007 06:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
At eagle rock yesterday the viz was around 15 to 20 feet, temperature was arond 70 degrees as I recall. Light southerly winds. We should be getting into a northwesterly wind cycle within the next day or so. Currents can be predicted based on moon cycles with new and full moon being the worst time to dive in terms of current. Eagle rock or El Aguila is located just around the corner from Punta Doble and a very popular dive snorkel spot.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 11:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Surface Time

Mana: 
Date: May 17, 2007   Location: Lighthouse (San Pedro Island)
Weather: clear and sunny   Water Temp: 75F    Viz: 60ft
Departure: 0830am  Arrival: 0230pm

We went to the island with 2divers and 2 snorkelers.
Bright sunny day with no wind. water was so calm.

On the way to the island, our captain found some dolphins and slow down the boat. we saw at least 20 of them. Some of them swam with our boat which was awesome!!! Plus, we saw a huge whale as well !  It was just one splash, but just a few feet away from our boat.

Diving at Lighthouse was awesome too. The water was so clear and sealions were so active on that day. At the beginning, we just stayed under the boat for 10-15min as lots of sealions were swimming around us. Also, we saw King Angelfish, Mexican Hogfish, a few kind of Morays, schooling Cortez Grunt, nudibranchs and lots more...

We decided to stay at Lighthouse for our 2nd dive since there are lots of stuff to see there. We always go out with small group and easy to arrange your trip.

Surface Time
http://www.surfacetime.com
877-300-9336 (from USA)
622-226-1888

Posted: Wed May 23rd, 2007 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Surface Time

Mana: 
Date: May 20, 2007   Location: North Point (San Pedro Island)
Weather: cloudy then sunny   Water Temp: 70F-75F    Viz: 40-50ft
Departure: 0730am  Arrival: 0230pm

It was a bit windy and rough trip but not too bad.
While we were diving, 3 other big boat with many divers arrived sicne North Point was the best condition on that day.But we(6 divers) dove while they were on the boat, so it was not crowded underwater at all.

North Point is great dive site.  It has shallow rocky area(10-25ft), rocky slope(25-80ft), sand area(80ft) and wall.

No current at the surface but when we got to about 70ft we felt a bit strong downcurrent. At shallow water, there was surge. I had a PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty student and it seemed to be a little challenging for him to stay still to take pictures because of surge. But he took pretty good pics.

We saw Sealions, schooling King Angel fish, Cortez Angelfish, Jewel Moray, Octopus, Barracuda, Balloonfish and lots & lots more....

Surface Time
877-300-9336 (from USA)
622-226-1888

Posted: Sun May 27th, 2007 05:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Surface Time

Mana: 
Date: May 25, 2007   Location: San Antonio,  Lalos Cove
Weather: sunny   Water Temp: 77F-79F    Viz: 20-25ft
Departure: 0800am  Arrival: 0230pm

We went out with very nice family from Phoenix. Their youngest girl who is 12 years old completed her PADI Junior Open Water Diver course today. The rest of the family are all divers.

It was very sunny day and water was calm. Visibility was ok.
The dive site " San Antonio" has big shallow area(15ft) and rocky slope(15-30ft)and sand area(30ft+). We dove there with 2 tanks. When 2nd dive, the current were strong but the 12-year-old student swam very well against the current.
We saw lots of swimming stingrays, balloonfish, Cortez Damselfish. wrasse...

At Lalos Cove, very calm, no current. Big sandy area and rocky area.
We saw lots of fish egg(Damselfish) on the rocks. This time a year, you can see a lot of tiny fish babies, juvenile of many different kinds of fish.

If you are older than 10, you can be a certified diver !!

Surface Time
877-300-9336 (from USA)
622-226-1888

Posted: Wed May 30th, 2007 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
I dove Himalaya Bay this weekend.  The water was 79-81 degrees around the bay.
Tuna are still here.  Jelly fish (stinging) are present. 
Viz 20-30 in the bays. Viz 25-35 on the outer points like White Rock. or Monkey Biz South.  Plenty of Grouper.

Posted: Wed May 30th, 2007 03:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Divegirl

Mana: 
I would like to Thank Surfacetime for the updates, I check often and appreciate the updates.

Just for the record, Surface time is the best, If you are going to plan a boat trip, tried the rest but we stick with the best SURFACE TIME,

Posted: Wed May 30th, 2007 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
SirDiveAlot

Mana: 
I dived San Pedro Island on May 26 and May 28, sites "Caverna", "Lighthouse" on the 26th and "Bocas Grande", "Waterfall" on  the 28th.  Viz was 30-40 on 26th, 40-50 on 28th.  Temperature was 75 F.  Some good dives, lots of tropicals were out. Seas were flat. 

On the 27th, I dived "Window Rock" and "Catalina Point".  Viz at "Window Rock" was 10 feet, so it wasn't all that good.  This is a good site to dive when visbility is good.  "Catalina Point" was poor.  Visibility was <10 feet, again.  I have dived this site a few times.  This site has always been pretty abyssmal and boring.  Water was 75F.

;)

Posted: Fri Jun 1st, 2007 03:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Surface Time

Mana: 
Divegirl, Thank you for your warm message! 
I have also enjoyed other dive logs.

Date: May 27, 2007   Location: San Antonio
Weather: clear and sunny   Water Temp: 77-79F    Viz: 15ft

I had 2 PADI Open Water Students and we did 3 training dives at San Antonio on that day.   At 1st dive, viz was better than the other 2 dives. 
The current is getting strong around 11am and viz also getting worse.
We saw HUGE green moray, lots of Balloonfish, sting ray, Octopus, stone scorpionfish and lots more....

A lot of " Man of war" (--> see picture)appeared around 3pm.The sting from the tentacles is potentially dangerous. It looks just like bubble. watch out !!!

Date: May 28, 2007   Location: Martini Cove
Weather: sunny   Water Temp: 79F    Viz: 10-20ft

After 1 training dive, my students enjoyed fun dive right after they were certified.
Martini Cove is very good site for beginners too. Depth range is about 10 - 50ft. Large sand area and rocky.  This time of a year, very thick Sargassum weeds(-->see picture)along rocky area.  We saw schooling Wavyline Grunt, Golden grouper, Huge Lobster, Hermit Crab, starfish, stingray, octopus, Lizard fish, schooling sardine and more...

Surface Time
877-300-9336 (from USA)
622-226-1888

Posted: Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
daryl_s

Mana: 
Surface Time- Thank you for posting the dive conditions on a regular basis. I enjoy reading them.

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
SirDiveAlot

Mana: 
daryl_s wrote: Surface Time- Thank you for posting the dive conditions on a regular basis. I enjoy reading them.
Hey y'all,  I began this thread, not Surface Time, as an independent diver, so that I would know dive conditions, particularly during the shoulder seasons. 

It seems that Surface Time has adopted this thread.  That's fine by me, as long as we stick to the intent of the thread. 

Thank you,

:(:?:D

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Divegirl

Mana: 
We can appreciate that you thought to ask the question, however we are far more appreciative that SurfaceTime shows their care and concern by giving us the answer.   Wow, view over 700 times, guess divers are impressed with surface times continues post.  Good JOB!!

What is the big deal?

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
dflybldr

Mana: 
Dove Martini Cove Sunday afternoon and Monday Morning.  Both days were pretty windy but the cove was fairly calm as usual.  Water temp in the low 80's and not much surge at the point considering the wind blowing straight in. 

Great 1st dive of the year and a great place to take newly certified divers.  There were a few man-of-wars, but they were easy to avoid.  vis was pretty decent for the cove this time of year (15 to 25 maybe).  Mid-day was better due to more sun light.

It was good to get back in the water.  6 months is way too long.

Tom in Tucson

Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2007 06:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
JZ

Mana: 
SirDiveAlot wrote: daryl_s wrote: Surface Time- Thank you for posting the dive conditions on a regular basis. I enjoy reading them.
Hey y'all,  I began this thread, not Surface Time, as an independent diver, so that I would know dive conditions, particularly during the shoulder seasons. 

It seems that Surface Time has adopted this thread.  That's fine by me, as long as we stick to the intent of the thread. 

Thank you,

:(:?:D

Wow, that's an incredibly poor taste post...unbelievable....SurfaceTime was providing a kick ass service and did in fact answer your original questions.

Last edited on Wed Jun 13th, 2007 06:35 am by JZ

Posted: Fri Jun 15th, 2007 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
asuwins

Mana: 
Thanks sirdivealot for starting the thread.  Thanks Surface time for continuing with the information.  What a great team you two are and how great that we are all benefiting from your information.    Keep the information coming;  we all love the valuable contributions to the site while we wilt away here in AZ until our time to visit in July. 

Posted: Fri Jun 15th, 2007 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Excellent conditiona at Martini cove today. Killer visibility, super blue water and no aqua malas. After the last several days of northwesterly winds we should be jelly fish free for a day or so or until southerly winds begin to blow.

Posted: Mon Jun 18th, 2007 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
Dove the North point of San Pedro Island on Saturday the 16th.

Surface water temp: 83

Thermal-cline temp: 73

Viz:50

Stinging Jellyfish: Very few

I saw my first Slipper Lobster!

Posted: Wed Jul 11th, 2007 08:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Here is some video shot last week on the 4th of July, a little free diving, spearfishing and sea lion shots. The conditions were decent untill the current picked up with Viz running around 35-50 feet at the North Point of San Pedro Island.

You will notice one of the sea lions is entangled in some monofilament line around the neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvOzql3HNA8

Posted: Wed Jul 11th, 2007 02:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Brad

Mana: 
Wow Vince...thanks for sharing!  Very encouraging since we are leaving on Thursday night!  What kind of jelly was that and were there lots of them?'

Thanks, Brad

Posted: Wed Jul 11th, 2007 05:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
That was a aqua mala as we say down here which is in the family of siphonaphores  of the genus Physalus, also commonly reffered to as a portugese man of war. As you can see by the video they float at the surface so you must always be looking forward when you are swimming and looking up as you surface and you will never get stung!!!

Current time is 04:51 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > Current San Carlos Diving Conditions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems