San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Boat on the rocks?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 27th, 2007 12:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Susura

Mana: 
Does anyone know if the boat on the rocks at the entrance to the Bahia/Marina SC is going to be kept there or exactly what happened?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Feb 27th, 2007 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
IronMan

Mana: 
http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1411uj8.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1414ew4.jpg

:(:(:(

Posted: Tue Feb 27th, 2007 11:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Susura

Mana: 
Thanks for the photos, wow.Who owned the boat? What was the name of the boat. How did they get everyone off? 

Heard today that there was a tri-hull damaged off of Marina Real?

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I don't know - I received the pictures from my friend Jason Brabrooke in San Carlos (I am stuck in AZ again!). This was posted on Alecs board:

"Understand that the boat was launched yesterday AM and hit the rocks at the entrance to the harbor when returning at 6:00 in the evening."

From the picture, I am guessing the resting place is just inside the harbor past the rocks with the pole on top? I would guess they hit the rock first and "beached" it hard before it could sink.

:shock: Craig :shock: 

Last edited on Wed Feb 28th, 2007 04:28 am by IronMan

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 12:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Susura

Mana: 
Yes, it is inside as it can be seen from the Bahia and Caracol.  What a shame.  What happened to the warning marker that was at the mouth?  Must have been going pretty fast when it hit?

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
followyourbliss

Mana: 
As a heads up to the fleet, regarding the boat sunk at the entrance to Bahia San Carlos I offer the following...

The stick that was attached to the rock and obviously represented something solid is no longer there.  Now there is what appears to be an innertube sized marker, floating, that has various colors on it and a short stick that as of yesterday at 8 AM had fell flat on the float.

It appears this float is secured  with a line that gives the marker a radius around the hazard. When I first saw it after rounding Punta Doble and passing the entrance to Martini Cove, I thought it was just a piece of flotsam because it seemed to be further out into the channel than I recalled the previous stick being which I was trying to locate.

This was my first time entering the channel in 18 months. However, my son who was with me and was familiar with the situation assured me it was the hazard marker.

In my opinion it is difficult to identify the present marker as a hazard to navigation. I would like to see a proper, recognized hazard to navigation marker placed at this site and would encourage the fleet to join me in contributing to the cost of constructing and installing it. Perhaps a fund could be set up with Marina San Carlos for contributions and the Marina could coordinate construction.

Ray@jp4u2.com

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
It's mine, I hit the reef marker (had no illumination) and I have been trying to get someone to raise it.  Humerto and a few of us tried sunday with 6 bilge pumps and packed the crack, but to no avail.  Now I am back in the U.S. and can't find out if he had any luck yesterday or today with raising her.

Anyone got a suggestion or idea how i can get her out?

Jim

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
Susura wrote: Yes, it is inside as it can be seen from the Bahia and Caracol.  What a shame.  What happened to the warning marker that was at the mouth?  Must have been going pretty fast when it hit?

I hit the concrete reef marker (which sits about 3 feet higher than the reef btw) at about 6 knots.  I spun around to see what i hit, and it looked a yellow antifreeze can floating, right about then I noticed the high water alarm and made for the rocks to try to save her.  I was told the marker was supposed to illuminated.

Jim

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Jim,

I feel your pain! I don't know where or how you locate one, but I believe an air bladder is normally used for lifting one that deep. I know some of the guys on the board have fuel bladders - maybe one of them will read this and be able to offer that to try.

I just had a thought: you might try something as simple as a couple of inflatable air beds in the holds or bilge areas. You'll need a dive boat with a compressor to fill them, but that might get her floating!!

Best of Luck!!!

Craig

Last edited on Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:52 pm by IronMan

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
Thanks Craig,

I just wish I could find out is she's still there, and if or who will get her back afloat....

I know it's my fault,  and I'm sick about it.

Jim

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
No Sniveling wrote: I don't know - I received the pictures from my friend Jason Brabrooke in San Carlos (I am stuck in AZ again!). This was posted on Alecs board:

"Understand that the boat was launched yesterday AM and hit the rocks at the entrance to the harbor when returning at 6:00 in the evening."

From the picture, I am guessing the resting place is just inside the harbor past the rocks with the pole on top? I would guess they hit the rock first and "beached" it hard before it could sink.

:shock: Craig :shock: 

I actually hit the marker at 11:00 PM not 6:00pm ....

Jim

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Jim - I had an idea and added it to my post - AIR Beds! If you don't have someone working on it for you, I suggest you contact Marina San Carlos or Luis' Shop asap before it is too late.

luis godefroy [luisgodefroy@yahoo.com] 01152-622-222-2613

Marina San Carlos
New Website:  http://www.marinasancarlos.com
Edificio Marina San Carlos Local #1
Sector La Herradora
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico 85506
Phone: 011-52-622-226-1230 or 52-622-226-1202
Fax: 011-52-622-226-0565
Email: info@marinasancarlos.com

Last edited on Wed Feb 28th, 2007 06:00 pm by IronMan

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
No Sniveling wrote: Jim - I had an idea and added it to my post - AIR Beds! If you don't have someone working on it for you, I suggest you contact Marina San Carlos or Luis' Shop asap before it is too late.

luis godefroy [luisgodefroy@yahoo.com] 01152-622-222-2613

Marina San Carlos
New Website:  http://www.marinasancarlos.com
Edificio Marina San Carlos Local #1
Sector La Herradora
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico 85506
Phone: 011-52-622-226-1230 or 52-622-226-1202
Fax: 011-52-622-226-0565
Email: info@marinasancarlos.com

I just got off the phone with Marina San Carlos, and Star marine.  Humberto was supposed to try to get bigger pumps (gas powered) or divers from Guaymas yestersday to raise her.  Star Marine is supposed to call me back soon, and if Humberto hasn't done anything with her, I will contact Luis.

Thank You!

Jim

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
You're on the right track - best of luck!

Craig

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Susura

Mana: 
I just went out and looked, there is a blue boat out there and it looks like they are making progress.  I will try to take a picture and send it to you if I can find your email or if you will send it to me. 

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
Susura wrote: I just went out and looked, there is a blue boat out there and it looks like they are making progress.  I will try to take a picture and send it to you if I can find your email or if you will send it to me. 

Thank you,

Jim@cyclespot.com

I just finally got ahold of Humberto, he said the ropes broke, and she slide down another 4-5 feet which means not much is above water.

Thanks

Jim

Posted: Thu Mar 1st, 2007 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Dougy G

Mana: 
I too feel your pain Jim, a sad event indeed.

A few things struck me .

1. Let her stay submerged and claim the insurance! The cost to refurbish will

no doubt be more expensive!

2. Try renting an inflatable castle or equivalent. the airbed;s are a good thought but preasure to lift you need more air..... A serise of fuel bladders would also work.. either filled with air or diesel, diesel has a pollution possibility though.

3. a few inflatable dingies may also work?

There has to be a salvage/recovery company in Guymas .......

and now the American touch............................ SUE !!!!

What ever good luck because you have a very hard task ahead............

DID I hear raffle....? sorry Jimbo

Posted: Thu Mar 1st, 2007 12:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
bournemouth

Mana: 
Sue who Dougy?  One of the pleasures of Mexico and also one of the risks is that you are responsible for yourself. 

Posted: Thu Mar 1st, 2007 12:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Letting her stay there is not a valid option because of the environmental consequences of leaking fuel-even if not leaking now eventually it will be as the hull deteriorates.

I would contact the dive shops to get both advice and assistance.  If there is a salvage operator around they will probably know who and how to contact them.  The lift will need to be done with compressed air and dive shops have that sort of gear.

That marker has been replaced several times over the years.  Storms are really hard on it.  Probably no consolation, but you're not the first to run aground there.  But I feel your pain. :(

Feel free to email or PM me if I can be of assistance.

Bart

Posted: Thu Mar 1st, 2007 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
JustJim

Mana: 
If anyone would like to help, I would appreciate it if your in SC to keep an eye out.  Humberto said the divers would be there today to float her, I hope there's something left to float.....

Jim

Current time is 04:33 am Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Boat on the rocks? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems