San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Calling Mexican Cell Phones  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 18th, 2007 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I'm posting this here because it has fairly widespread application and is a technical matter, although it has nothing to do with operations of the message board.

I've had difficulty in the past trying to call Mexican cell phone numbers and now I know why.  The dialing sequence to reach these numbers has changed

To dial a Mexican cell phone internationally you must now dial a 1 after the country code and before the 10 digit number

Example 011-52-1-622-226-xxxx

To dial a Mexican cell phone locally, dial 044-622-226-xxxx as an example.  I have had no success doing this from my Cingular phone while in Mexico.  Think this only works from another Mexican cell phone or land line in Mexico.

To dial a Mexican cell phone as a long distance call within Mexico, dial 045-622-226-xxxx.  An alternate method may be to dial 011-52-622-226-xxxx.

I have not been able to try these last two methods yet within Mexico but will on my next visit. I need to know how I must dial a Mexican cell phone from my US cell phone while roaming.  If any have experience at doing this with a US cell phone, please post which works for you and which carrier you are using.  My suspicion is that I will have to dial as if I were in the US, ie, 011-52-1-622-226-xxxx.

Thanx

Bart

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Feb 20th, 2007 07:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JZ

Mana: 
Bart, I've experienced the same issues.  They added the extra "1" after the area code a couple months back.

To dial a MX cell from a US cell when in Mexico, dial 622 xxx yyyy.  I use to always dial the full MX cell number when calling from either the US or MX (i.e.  +52 622 xxx yyyy). 

But now with the extra "1" after the area code you cannot dial +52 1 622 xxx yyyy from a US cell when in MX.

Of course, to dial from a MX land line to a MX cell dial 044 622 xxx yyyy.

Simple huh??

Posted: Tue Feb 20th, 2007 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Well the good news is adding the 1 when dialing a mexican cell from a US landline works-tried it yesterday to call my boat capitan and connected with no problem-never been able to call him before.

Bart

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 02:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Marianne611

Mana: 
So...Does Cingular not have service in San Carlos?

Marianne

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2007 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
They do and IMHO the best of the US carriers.  The problem dialing the cell phones is a function of how the Mexican cell phone services are set up, not with the US carrier.

Bart

Posted: Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
HSM

Mana: 
I have cingular and it works perfectly while in Mexico.  You need to call your cingular company and tell them you use it in Mexico.  The service automatically switches back and forth as you cross the border

Posted: Sun May 11th, 2008 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
taoswheat

Mana: 
There seems to be some magic in Mexican cell service.  I have a prepaid TelCel and to call it from my US Verizon cell in San Carlos, I dial 044-622-227-xxxx and it works.

To call my TelCel from Skype, select call to Mexico, and then dial 1-622-227-xxxx and it works.

Posted: Tue May 13th, 2008 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I use my AT&T locally all of the time. For local Cell phones and Land lines I just dial the 10 digit #, ie, 622-109-XXXX. I use the same 10 digit # to send text messages.

Posted: Sat May 31st, 2008 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Blueskys4ever

Mana: 
I drove across the border at Nogales, last weekend.  My pre-paid AT&T cell phone switched over to Telcel.  This never happened before.

Although, I did not try to make a call, it seems there now is coverage.

How far this coverage goes into Sonora, remains to be seen.  My first trip of the season to San Carlos begins in late June.

Posted: Wed Jul 2nd, 2008 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
AlanSonora

Mana: 
Yes, the AT&T prepaid "Pay As You Go" phones now have international roaming in Mexico. The rate is 99 cents per minute. I first noticed this back in February on a trip to Mexico City. I made a couple of calls and was indeed charged the 99 cents.

Also, I have an AT&T Laptop connect card. It also roams in Mexico, but beware! I connected to the internet, opened Outlook to check email, and closed the connection. When the bill came, the international roaming charge was over $6.00 USD for less than 5 minutes online. The charge is per kilobyte of data downloaded.

Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
alexpinca

Mana: 
Want cheaped rates?  Check out Celestial Prepay for GSM phones. 

Current time is 10:33 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Read Me First > Read Me First > Calling Mexican Cell Phones Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems