San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Squid  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 20th, 2006 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ahi_hunter

Mana: 
 Being a diver and a spear fisherman, I'm curious how them big old Humboldt squid act while divers are in the water. Does anyone here have any experiences with them? I've seen some things on TV about them, but I don't really want to believe the hype. I would imagine that they would get aggressive if someone speared a fish and was trying to land it.

Thanks
John

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 20th, 2006 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
You will most likely never see a humbolt squid while spear fishing here in the area. I have never seen one in the 17 years I have been spear fishing here. Also technically it is illegal to spear fish using scuba here although many divers do. There is virtually no enforcement of fishing regulations which is one of our big problems in the area. I think you have a better chance of shooting a decent fish anyway with out the bubble noice that tends to scare big fish away. My self and Carlos are avid spearfisherman so stop by the Sonoran Sport Center anytime and we may be able to go out with you and show you some of the sites we like.

Posted: Thu Dec 21st, 2006 05:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
ahi_hunter

Mana: 
I guess I should have clarified. I’m both a scuba diver and a free diver. I’ve never speared fish while I’ve had tanks on. I do love to go after fish while free diving though. I picked up a couple of nice grouper at the island last time there, also got some nice porgy and a rainbow runner close to shore. I’ll look you up next time. Thanks.

John

Posted: Thu Dec 21st, 2006 06:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Ya the island is great, any time of year. Have you tried the wrecks at all? I have shot some nice cabrilla on the ferry over the years, and the yellowtail are starting to run pretty close into shore now. The sea mount and San Antonio point are great spots in winter if there are yellowtail running.  Being an el nino year we might have relatively warm water this winter. I think it is still in the mid 60's right now and viz has been looking pretty good to. During summer time we like to do blue water sessions for dorado, which are a real blast to hunt and 85 degree water is an added benefit!!!!

Stop by the shop anytime and we can trade spear fishing stories!! What kind of rig are you using?

V

Posted: Thu Dec 21st, 2006 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
ahi_hunter

Mana: 
No I didn't hit the wrecks. How deep are they? I thought I read that they're about 60 feet.

I'm currently shooting a Rob Allen 100. But I’ll probably get a Riffe before my next trip down. I want something that will handle a little bigger fish.

So how are you doing your blue water diving? Are you just looking for bird piles or what? I’ve never been blue water spear fishing, but I would love to start. San Carlos seems to be a great place for it. The great Dorado population could make it a blast if you found them. I would love to see some of those marlin also, don’t think I would shoot one, but they would be a blast to see feeding.  

Posted: Thu Dec 21st, 2006 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
The top of the ferry is around 40 feet and the bottom around 60, the props can go to almost 80. I am a riffe dealer and am getting ready to place an order so if you want a gun let me know. I out of stock on guns for the shop now and a would like a smaller gun for when I am just going after small reef fish in low viz conditions.  I like to use the the mid handle series and the hawaiin with a slip tip pick and a reel is my standard gun. I also have an Island with a reel for blue water sessions and deep water sessions at the wreck or island. Seeing marlin and bill fish in the water is always an incedible site, you have to just look for them, birds, boils you will know when you are in the zone. Let me know if you would like to place an order. I hope I can beat the deals you can get on ebay but a buddy of mine got a blue water gun last year for less than I get them for wholesale so there are sometimes some great deals on ebay.

hasta for now

V

Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mac n Cheez

Mana: 
Not trying to stir the pot here... but I have read the actual mexican fishing regulations and have yet to come up with any rules about spearfishing while SCUBA diving... In fact, heres a cut and pasted quote from this web site (sancarlosmx)

"Fish must be taken by angling with a hand-held line or a line attached to a rod, except when skin or scuba diving. No nets (except handling nets) traps, poisons, or explosives may be used. Skin and scuba divers may only fish with hand-held spears or band-powered spear guns. It is illegal to sell, trade, or exchange the fish caught. Fish should not be cleaned on board at sea but should be brought to fish cleaning stations in the marinas. Fish can be eviscerated and filleted, but a patch of skin must be left to permit identification."

Anyone know what the actual rules are? 

Thanks!

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 03:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Stuart

Mana: 
Mac N Cheese - freediving (spearing fish WITHOUT scuba gear) is perfectly legal in Mexico. I have the pleasure of knowing several freediving nuts. They dive on the reefs in Penasco and spear grouper. Another gentleman I have the pleasure of knowing, Todd Gadesh, has made the cover for the major freediving magazine more than once, holding up a 60 lb. white seabass he speared off of San Fransquito. I've also been on the boat when we've encountered  a big sargasso paddy and these same nuts all bailed over the side to shoot some dorado!

To each his own. Personally, after hooking up a great white off San Jorge Island while fishing, I do ALL my fishing from in the boat! :shock:

The technicality is indeed spearfishing while wearing tanks. That's a huge no-no. If you can hold your breath, go get 'em! :) 

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Matt Blair

Mana: 
Hi Vince,

How far out do you dive off of San Antonio point? I've always wanted to spearfish there, but it seems like the yellowtail move around so much that it might be hard to find them. That and sometimes there's 20 boats chasing the fish and I would hate to get hit (sometimes I wonder if they would make note of my bouy). The other thought is to chase boils and jump in when/if you're on top of them. Just curious if you've had success.

Are you going to be around in a couple of weeks? I'm headed down for a quick weekend and would love to get a couple of hours in the water. I'm fat, out of shape, afraid of cold water and holding my breath....so I need to get back into it and fish a bit for the Yellowtail Open.

By the way, the Yellowtail Open (Breath Hold Spearfishing) is on March 17th this year. I'll bring some flyers for you.

Adios, Matt

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 05:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Mac n Cheez

Mana: 
Thanks Stewart - I enjoy freediving almost as much as SCUBA diving... But I am still confused as to why the mexican fishing regulations (even as posted on this very web site) make no distinction between SCUBA and freediving (I posted a copy above). 

Heading down from Tuscon in a few weeks - anyone have a recent fish/conditions report?

thanks!

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
kjstm

Mana: 
Mac n Cheez wrote: 

"Fish must be taken by angling with a hand-held line or a line attached to a rod, except when skin or scuba diving. No nets (except handling nets) traps, poisons, or explosives may be used. Skin and scuba divers may only fish with hand-held spears or band-powered spear guns. It is illegal to sell, trade, or exchange the fish caught. Fish should not be cleaned on board at sea but should be brought to fish cleaning stations in the marinas. Fish can be eviscerated and filleted, but a patch of skin must be left to permit identification."

Mac if this a direct quote of the rules then it seem self explanatory.

LSU vrs Irish is a good game.

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 03:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Hey Matt, I have shot yellow tail right at the point, San Antonio that is, many times. I have also chased the boils so you know how it is. I have also had great luck at the sea mount as well. I will be around in a few weeks and I am in pretty bad shape to so we can make plenty of excuses if we get skunked.

As far as scuba and spearfishing I have taken workshops with Conapesca so I am quite familiar with what the law is here. It is not permitted to scuba and spearfish at the same time. Perhaps it is a typo on the fishing permitt. In fact all the mexican pangeros that you see around the area that are using compressors for commerical diving are not legal either. The compressor divers here go after pretty much everything from octopus to lobster to clams to callo de hacha. These guys even spear fish with the compressor. They have been doing it for so long that Conapesca simply doesn't care anymore and looks the other way. They have their hands far to busy dealing with the illegal shrimp and dorado trade to even worry about the riberenos who use compressors for commercial fishing.

There are some americans down here who still spear fish with tanks and I am sure you know some of them but I still think you have a better chance to shoot something free diving. Especially yellowtail since they move so fast.

Hasta pronto

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 12:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
ahi_hunter

Mana: 
Mac n Cheese has a good point. I've tried to look up the regulations and this is the most I've found.

"Underwater fishing is limited to five fish per day, using rubber band or spring type harpoons, and only while skindiving."

m-w.com defines "skindiving" as
Function: noun
: the sport of swimming under water with a face mask and flippers and especially without a portable breathing device 

I aggree that the regulations are a little vague.

One more question on this subject. What about octopus? As a "skindiver" am I allowed to take octopus? I know what it says about finned fish in the regulations, but it doesn't fall into the abalone, lobster, shrimp, clams, cabrilla, totuava, oysters, and sea turtles which is prohibited. Just curious.

Thanks.

John

Last edited on Thu Jan 4th, 2007 04:28 pm by ahi_hunter

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Matt Blair

Mana: 
Vince,

I'll get in touch with you next week and we can work out a plan to go after em.

John,

I used to see a lot of octopus around San Carlos and now they are rarely sighted. I think it's because of all the "hooka" fisherman that seem to take everything. There used to be a lot of lobsters too. I don't even eat lobster or octopus in San Carlos anymore because I feel like I'd be a hippocrit and be supporting illegal fishing....not trying to start any sort of moral discussion here.  Each unto their own. I still eat dorado and I'm sure some of that is caught on illegal long lines. I'm not certain what the laws are for taking lobster, octopus, etc. while freediving.

And, thank you very much for serving and defending our country!

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
ahi_hunter

Mana: 
Thanks Matt, the regulation clearly states no lobster, but doen't talk about octopus. I saw plenty close to shore last time I was there in June. Just takes a little work trying to spot them.  Next time on a shallow reef look for small holes with a bunch of rocks and shells outside the hole.

John

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 05:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Mac n Cheez

Mana: 
Like I originally said, I'm not looking for an arguement - just a clarification of the rules.  I cut/pasted the above quote - but I suppose that this is indicative of the larger problem in Mexico... No one really knows what all of the rules are... not that they would EVER be enforced anyways.  Had a trip to Loreto in August and saw all kinds of crazy isht.

You guys have really piqued my interest - can't wait to get down there.

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
LimeyLInda

Mana: 
I am confused. The regs do not mention squid/octopus specifically but they do mention mollusks and olny finned fish. I thought squid and octopus were mollusks. ????

Any one know the real situation?

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 06:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
ahi_hunter

Mana: 
LL,

Good call, I didn't realize that a octopus was a mullosks. Here's what wikipedia says about it.

The molluscs (British spelling) or mollusks (American spelling) are the large and diverse phylum Mollusca, which includes a variety of familiar animals well-known for their decorative shells or as seafood. These range from tiny snails, clams, and abalone to squid, cuttlefish and the octopus (which is considered the most intelligent invertebrate). There are some 112,000 species within this phylum.[1]

Thanks.

John

Last edited on Thu Jan 4th, 2007 06:06 pm by ahi_hunter

Posted: Thu Jan 4th, 2007 06:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
LimeyLInda

Mana: 
Did some more research and think I have answered my own question . See below:

http://www.mexfish.com/sros/sros.htm

Hope this helps.

Posted: Tue Jan 9th, 2007 10:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
ACWAMAN

Mana: 
Mexfish.com is a good site or a lot of info on fishing or spearfishing Baja.

There's no doubt in my mind, based on numerous sources and experience, spearfishing on Scuba is illegal, not free diving spearfishing.

On a private boat, I always think it is handy to have Scuba gear on board, for a variety of reasons.

However, beware, I have been given some major grief by officials, on 2 occasions, just for having a Scuba tank on the boat, while I was in the water free diving.

Once in La Paz, another out of Lereto.

I still keep a tank on board, but try to keep it concealed below deck.

Glad to see some free divers out there on this forum, mark your calendars for the Yellowtail tourney, March 17th.

If you don't have a boat, e-mail me, I'll try and hook you up with one.

Regards

acwaman@aol.com

Current time is 01:50 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Diving Forum > Squid Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems