San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hot Sauce  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 04:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paz

Mana: 
I am needing recommendations for hot sauce brands. My sons love hot sauce.  One loves as much heat as possible, the other not so much.  Any suggestions?  Thanks !

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Fresh Chiltipin in a small bottle are tasty and hot.

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 05:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MountainbikeVH

Mana: 
We like Mexico Lindo brand, various flavors and hotness.  Our fav hot is the orange habanero and fav mild is chiltepin. Available at any of the grocery stores and very reasonably priced. 

Attached Image (viewed 336 times):

7956656D-56A0-44F1-891C-1FF1EBB204D8.jpeg

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Try the little round and dried chiltepin as Bullshipper said. Grind in your fingertips or crush and spread to your level. Very tasty little guys with heat. The Mexico Lindo brand has some good flavors. A really good one I thought might be a novelty but turned out to sit on our table daily is chipotle dulce which comes in a small red squeeze bottle by Clemente Jacque. I assume invented by an Aztec who was sipping on bacanora or mezcal and spilled the honey into his smoked jalapenos, LOL. Some different and very good peppers here.

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
Wy Ynot wrote: Grind in your fingertips or crush and spread to your level.chilitepins are the mother of all chili's including bell peppers.

never ever grind them with your fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the capsaicin levels are extremely high and remember capsaicin is what is used in bear repellent.

you will later burn your nose, eyes and men if you go to the restroom, they will hear you screaming for blocks! 
there are many grinders available, here is one i have been using for over 50 years.

Attached Image (viewed 293 times):

20200730_072433.jpg

Last edited on Thu Jul 30th, 2020 02:42 pm by frankiej

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 02:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paz

Mana: 
Thank you all for the great suggestions!

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 07:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Frankie, yes, a molcajete or a small ironwood grinder is probably better advised. It just doesn't bother me much, have done it for years. We literally eat lots of peppers, chile de arbol, chiltepin, jals and serranos of course. Poblanos, caribes, scotch bonnets, anaheims and bells. I clean and handle where my wife has to wear rubber gloves for most. Careful when you rub your eyes or nose and as stated, when you head behind the nearest palm to drain recycled Tecate. Carried pepper spray for years when became available and proven in grizzly country in the Wyoming Tetons wilderness areas where they are king. Never had an encounter to use it but always tried a new or used can each season. Never tried it on a salad though??

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Salsa Petrolera is another good one we buy in Santovalle in Hermosillo. Don't know if the SC Santovalle carries it here, but a dab in a quesadilla will make it a lot more interesting.

Posted: Thu Jul 30th, 2020 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
We gave up on buying bottles of hot sauce about 10 years ago, having tried dozens. Doesn't seem to matter the brand name or the chili - they all have an overpowering taste of preservative chemicals and vinegar. Yuck. We started making our own - it's really easy and cheap and balanced for our individual tastes, hot or mild, thick or thin, Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Cajun, etc. Dozens of websites - https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/how-to-make-hot-sauce/

Last edited on Fri Jul 31st, 2020 12:25 am by nice guy

Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2020 03:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
SanCarlosNimzo

Mana: 
Nice Guy = Smart Guy

Posted: Fri Jul 31st, 2020 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Good recommendations above, about Chiltepin and the Mexico Lindo products. Love them both.

One of my favorite NOB hot sauces is Pico Pica, the hot variety. But I have never found it in Mexico.

Sooooo, I decided to taste test a number of ones that ARE available in Mexico, to see which one was the closest.

The winner was what has to be one of the largest selling hot sauces in Mexico, Salsa de Huichol. I was surprised. But I do like it alot. It has the smokiness of roasted tomatoes and/or chiles in it. Somewhere in the medium hot range.

When I am hankering for something HOT, I turn to the habanero salsas. I like the Mexico Lindo one the best, so far.

Current time is 05:31 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Hot Sauce Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems