San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Anyone Thinking of Driving to Obregon Should Read This

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Anyone Thinking of Driving to Obregon Should Read This  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 19th, 2020 11:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
https://opinionsonora.com/2020/07/18/sujetos-encapuchados-y-armados-con-machetes-asaltan-a-conductores-sobre-carretera-cajeme-empalme/

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2020 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Since Dic 2018, a few Yaqui's have been trying to establish a Caseta de Cobro on the Hiway to charge 50-100 per car passing through their territory. It has been refused, even by members in their own community that look at it as undignified.

Opinion again publishes a story with no collaborating evidence even though they claim there have been 100's of incidents where masked men with machetes are supposedly threatening cars and drivers.

Opinion is also urging the Federales or Military to go to Potam and invervene, but not one complaint is cited either.

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2020 01:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
That's not the whole story. Why not tell the story about the Fed Gov "taking their" water for the pipe to Hmo - and the roadblocks for months about 5? yrs ago. The Fed's and the Yaqui's came to an agreement on the water and the Yaqui's say the the Fed's have not fulfilled that agreement. So now they're protesting. That's my understanding -

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2020 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
nice guy wrote: That's not the whole story. Why not tell the story about the Fed Gov "taking their" water for the pipe to Hmo - and the roadblocks for months about 5? yrs ago. The Fed's and the Yaqui's came to an agreement on the water and the Yaqui's say the the Fed's have not fulfilled that agreement. So now they're protesting. That's my understanding -

Good back ground.

And ever since the farmers in Obregon put a dam on the Yaqui river the Indians have been upset about their down stream allocation too.

Then when Hermosillo started pulling water from the Novio Dam on the same Yaqui River the farmers in Obregon also felt their allocation was being cut, even though Bours, a prominent Obregon farmer who was elected governor was one of the initial promotoors of the idea in the first place.

So the farther you are down stream the more you'll feel the pinch of a limited resource, especially if you want to flood irrigate to save money while wasting huge amounts of water.

Water rights will continue to be a problem in the Sonoran Desert, if that's news to anyone.

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2020 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
I'm sorry if my posting of the article caused unwarranted concern. I was somewhat aware of the disputes, but I welcome the additional info posted here. Sounds like a legitimate beef.

Nonetheless....I would not want to come upon a checkpoint with masked men armed with sticks and machetes no matter the circumstances.

Posted: Tue Jul 21st, 2020 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
Another article, no mention of threats to drivers.

http://elportaldelanoticia.mx/noticias/13-estatal/4548-yaquis-bloquean-totalmente-carretera-mexico-15-cerca-del-danzante-yaqui

Posted: Wed Jul 22nd, 2020 12:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Now the want the government to fix the drinking water system in all 8 off their towns and compensate them to allow access for a new gas pipeline and fiber optic system that will cross their territory.

In other words more water and money.

Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The Indians are now collecting in all three locations, demanding 50-100 pesos from each car.

As previously mentioned, this has been going on for a while, and the government needs to step in to resolve problems and enforce freedom of the road.

Imo, travelers and truck drivers being charged to transit is an unjust imposition on them.

Posted: Thu Jul 23rd, 2020 01:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
as stated this has been going on for years.
for 4 years i travel to Mazatlan to celebrate New Years.
 every year i do what every one else does. i drive off the hiway and proceed down the adjoining dirt road for several miles, until we can clear the road block. it has worked for me for years. 
i have noticed in those 4 years of travel, they seem to be concerned at blocking south bound travel and the north bound travel back has always been uneventful.

the tolls from Guaymas are no longer up except for the one to by pass Obregon. it is well worth the 100 + pesos spent and takes off about 30/45 minutes of the trip to Mazatlan. 
the tolls where still up in Sinoloa, they can be expensive and there a 3 within one hour from and past Culican.

Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2020 12:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
now it appears they are threatening to cut the water off in Guaymas, Emplame and San Carlos.

that is what the headline states, the reporter is misinformed, and sensationalizing the article. 

although there is an aqueduct serving Guaymas and Empalme, the water for San Carlos comes from wells east and northeast of town, we are not dependent on the aqueduct.

Amenazan yaquis con dejar sin agua a Guaymas, Empalme y San Carlos - OpiniĆ³n Sonora

Last edited on Sat Aug 1st, 2020 02:18 pm by frankiej

Posted: Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 01:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Amlo is scheduled to come to Sonora soon, so these protests are probably being backed by Eduardo Bours in Obregon in his desire to named as the guy who can control the Yaqui's, get in the news and further his campaign to be Governor of Sonora as a newly registered Independent, ex Pri.

Posted: Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 02:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Bours - has he stolen enough yet to "share".

Posted: Thu Aug 6th, 2020 04:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
Another article today about the roadblock/toll:

https://opinionsonora.com/2020/08/05/yaquis-bloquean-de-nuevo-el-tramo-carretero-empalme-ciudad-obregon-y-aplican-cuota-para-dejar-pasar/

Posted: Thu Aug 6th, 2020 10:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Their meeting with Lopez Obredor is scheduled for next Thursday, so my hunch was right.

Posted: Sat Aug 8th, 2020 03:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
The back and forth continues:

https://opinionsonora.com/2020/08/07/amenazan-yaquis-con-dejar-sin-agua-a-guaymas-empalme-y-san-carlos-2/

Posted: Sun Aug 9th, 2020 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
So anyways, AMLO, true to his word, met with 8 Yaqui tribal leaders and they signed off a number of petitions. But one of the leaders in Vicum wanted the Pres to also come and meet with him for an hour, and he was ignored. So he say they are going to block the trains and water starting today.

I don't know how they are going to block water that does not come through their land to Guaymas or SC, but that doesn't stop them from saying so.

Posted: Sun Aug 9th, 2020 01:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
So after the meeting with AMLO, maybe you now get a HUG when you pay your toll!!

Current time is 07:54 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Anyone Thinking of Driving to Obregon Should Read This Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems