San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > An interesting weather event approaches

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
An interesting weather event approaches  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
It certainly appears that we are going to get significant, even substantial, rain over the next 36 hours, according to my calculations.

The SWesterly flow of the past 12-18 hours looks like it will accelerate due to an approaching low off the west coast of the U.S. More moisture will be drawn up.

And there's a big batch of moisture (non-meteorological term) down there off the SW coast of Baja, extending due west of the mainland. This storm could drop anywhere from 15-50mm of rain (3/4-2in).

It's generally warm moisture, of course. 

I dont think we will see any major winds, as there arent any thunderstorms embedded in the moisture bank. And no real heating this time of year to generate the orographic lift needed in this area. 

The Sierras might see some, but I dont think we have enough mountain lift near us to create thunderstorms, at this time of year.

When will it get here? Looks like the chance of rain is above 50% from around 0200 Wednesday AM to around 0600 on Thursday AM. Chance of rain is much lower around the traditional Turkey Pig Out times of 1200-1800. So, there's that.

Not that any amount of rain will stop me from my appointed oink-oink.

For you gardeners like me, see about capturing as much of this rainwater as you can. It is far superior for plants, compared to the stuff coming through our pipes. Move the pots out into it, as well.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Hurricane force winds in Oregon, 35' seas, "bomb cyclone"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bomb-cyclone-drench-bay-area-192348188.html

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 11:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
frankie

Mana: 
hook good call, 4:30 am Wednesday, it's raining here on the far west end!

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 12:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Yeah, it started here on the Caracol Peninsula around that time, certainly before 5 am.

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 03:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I'm showing 0.69 in or about 15mm, as of this writing. I got my first recorded rainfall at 0336.  When I last looked at chance of rain yesterday, that was somewhere around 80%. So, Weather Underground was pretty accurate.

It appears interaction with the Baja Peninsula, or some other influence, IS causing some thunderstorms to form in the cloud mass. All of these, right now, are still west of Baja and quite a ways south of us.

The predominate circulation of this appears to indicate that the bulk of these thunderstorms will enter the mainland between Ciudad Obregon and Culiacan.

But there are a lot of embedded thunderstorms behind the front moving down the west coast of the U.S. It's too hard to predict if those will get there. If they do, possibly Friday.

So, any thunderstorm activity we might experience in the next 2-4 hours is probably spontaneously formed from the moisture mass that is now here.

Last edited on Wed Nov 27th, 2019 09:17 pm by Hook

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Fairwind

Mana: 
Thanks for posting this Hook...Very unusual weather for this time of year...Is this our "Winter rain ?"

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 08:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
frankie

Mana: 
this is the longest continual rain fall i have seen, not associated to a hurricane!
 where i am at it has been a normal rain changing to a drizzle back to normal rain all day long!

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I think we actually had even more rain, in one continuous shot, only last year in the winter. I think it was December. Cant remember. But I believe it exceeded 2 in or approx 50mm. This one could still get there. I am showing 1.46 in or about 37mm.

But I do remember commenting last year that it was unusual for a Pacific storm to dump that much. This is more of a tropical event being drawn up by an approaching low. This is not your traditional event that came here from the Gulf of Alaska and moved down the coast.

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Well, had I known it was going to be this windy today, I probably would have moved some patio furniture.  So now the rocking chairs are going to town with the 25 MPH winds up here.
My rain gauge shows 1.30” at 2:30 pm.

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Fairwind

Mana: 
Sailflow predicts gale force winds later on tonight, out of the south....

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Yeah, the wind is certainly here. Not sure why.

Could be the approaching low is accelerating towards the advancing low or we are close enough to a occluded front that we have the potential for t-storms.

I have clocked gusts to 17 knots at my house but it is generally around 6-10 knots right now.

I should add that my anemometer is somewhat protected from wind from this direction, by my bodega. I think I have observed gusts up to around 25.

Last edited on Wed Nov 27th, 2019 10:11 pm by Hook

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 10:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Scmateo

Mana: 
In the Country Club 1.30" so far.  Wind blowing pretty consistent 15-17 mph & highest gust so far 28 mph.

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
Well F-troop got 1.5 inches so far as of 4:30 pm

Last edited on Wed Nov 27th, 2019 11:30 pm by guzzi

Posted: Wed Nov 27th, 2019 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I'm at 1.51.

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2019 03:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Now 2.10.

Had a period around 2015 when it was raining in excess of 2.00 inches/hour.

Last edited on Thu Nov 28th, 2019 04:00 am by Hook

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2019 03:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
frankie

Mana: 
i drove into town about 7:00 pm, it has now been raining for about 18 hours! the soil is saturated and we are now starting see runoff! i can't imagine what we will encounter tomorrow if the rains continue!

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2019 04:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
The leading edge of the cold front coming down from CA is still heading SE, and occupies a line drawn from about San Quintin, Baja, then NE to about Golfo de Santa Clara in Sonora. The air behind the cold front has embedded t-storms and air that is about 10-15 degrees F below the warm air ahead of it (including San Carlos).

It's hard to say how much it will displace our 70F air. Should arrive around mid morning.

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2019 01:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Still coming down this AM, after about 6-8 hours with no rain. Add another 0.36 inches to yesterday's total of around 2.10.

I am showing totals for this week at 2.95, and for the month at 3.05. 

Last edited on Thu Nov 28th, 2019 01:14 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2019 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
guzzi

Mana: 
As of 6:45 am 2.75 inches of rain total at F-Troop (last northern block on F)

Last edited on Thu Nov 28th, 2019 01:59 pm by guzzi

Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2019 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
On the east side of the Caracol Peninsula 2.72” yesterday, .49” this morning so far.

Power was out from 5:45 to 6:45 am today.

Current time is 01:17 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > An interesting weather event approaches Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems