San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > The trip from Hermasillo to Agua Prieta

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
Poll
Would you drive from Hermosillo on Rt 14-17 to Agua Prieta

View Results

Vote
AuthorPost
Steverhnm

Mana: 
With all this stuff about cartels, etc, I was wondering what your opinions are (not that anyone here has opinions-just kidding) regarding the drive from Hermosillo on Rt 14 to 17 North to Agua Prieta.  I love Mexico and have not seen enough of it but I also don't want to do something totally stupid like driving down a road where I am not wanted or expected to be.  

Given that, these appear to be two roads highly traveled and reasonably populated (this is a guess on my part) so an American tourist in a 2014 Ford pickup truck may not raise too many eyebrows.  Just want to explore a little more on my way back and have an alternate route.  I have taken route 2 over to Agua Prieta and was comfortable with that drive.

What do you think?  Is this an acceptable alternate route for a tourist?  My Spanish is poor but I get by with it.  Driving remote isolated roads for someone that does not have a purpose to be in that are is most likely not a good idea in my opinion.  But well traveled roads (while there will always be some sort of risk-just like in the US) I would assume to be OK to drive in the state of Sonora.

Any recommendations?  Thanks ahead of time for sharing.

Last edited on Sat Nov 9th, 2019 02:37 pm by Steverhnm

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
See our web site at http://riosonora.com/ for more info on that route. Note that this route is outside of the free zone so a vehicle permit is required. This route is west of the route where the recent cartel attack took place.

Bart

Steverhnm

Mana: 
Thanks, I did not realize it was outside of the Free Zone. I assume a TIP on a car is the same as a TIP on a boat? I had a vehicle TIP in the early 2004 at one time, properly surrendered when I left. Yes, I understand where that happened but also felt that was a different road quite away from Rt 17.

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Car tip is different because it is only valid for as long as your tourist permit or residency documents are valid-it is not a 10 year permit like a boat or RV TIP.

RichD

Mana: 
You can still get an Only Sonora permit I think. The Rio Sonora route is interesting and scenic, highly recommended. I have not been in quite a few years, don't know about safety. Seems like every few miles there is another village with a mission built in the 1500s.

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Problem with Only Sonora is you can't turn it in anywhere except Nogales and Empalme. If returning soon it is not an issue. Think cost is the same as All mexico which can be turned in at any border crossing.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have never paid for Sonora only in Mexico.

Snow and ice can be a travel problem on this road in the winter.

JCB

Mana: 
Bart.  RE your post about turning in a Sonora Only permit.  Some years back I got one at the check point south of Empalme and at that time, they told me that I could only turn it in at K21.  Has that changed?

bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
You might be right but assumed that if they would issue at Empalme it could be turned in there too. Know you can't turn in at Naco or AP

RichD

Mana: 
Things change and I have not had a Sonora Only permit for a long time. It used to be free or maybe a small fee. You could not turn it in at km98, only at km21. Again, things change. Maybe someone with recent experience with Sonora Only can provide up to date info. I think either permit expires when your visa or temporal expires. If you have a permanente, you cannot get the permits.

Steverhnm

Mana: 
Thank you for the insight. I hope others continue to hit the Voting Poll, it is anonymous and interesting to say the least. I might stick to Rio Sonora for my extra excursions at this time and on or in the early Fall or Late Spring until my Spanish gets better and who knows what the political climate might be then.

Regardless, I will continue to enjoy Mexico, as a guest, and all it's wonderful people and sights and places to explore. While you can't protect yourself from being in the wrong place at the wrong time - you can't do that in the US either unless you live in a cocoon. I choose to know my world respectfully, enjoy other cultures, and live each day the best I can. I am on bonus days-a second chance....

Timothy B.

Mana: 
Personally I would take the highway HMO to Imuris to Cananea then to Ap.
I have traveled the roads you referenced.
Not something I would attempt without a good grasp of Spanish and would take a couple of Mexican guys with me.
Times have changed.
Tim

Steverhnm

Mana: 
Bummer, thanks for the advice, I will probably take it for now.  Maybe when my Spanish is better....  I have taken the route you speak of (Imuris to Cananea)-did not have a problem with it.

Jimmy

Mana: 
Steverhnm wrote: Bummer, thanks for the advice, I will probably take it for now.  Maybe when my Spanish is better....  I have taken the route you speak of (Imuris to Cananea)-did not have a problem with it.

Ah, go ahead and take the Route you were asking about...There is Nothing in life that makes you feel really alive than "Cheating Death"... And, if you Die, you can die happy because you died doing something you wanted to do.. 

Snuffy

Mana: 
And if you are really a thrill seeker, rent a flashy SUV with tinted windows for the trip.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems