San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
9 killed in Sonora  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 12:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
frankie

Mana: 
yesterday around La Mora, Sonora 9 USA citizens, traveling in a caravan of 3 vehicles, where ambushed and killed! they where on their way to a wedding!
 those killed where women and 6 children!! there where 8 survivors seriously injured, ALL CHILDREN!!
the video of the ambushed bullet riddled vehicle show it burnt to a shell!
La Mora is about 75 miles south of the border. it is being reported they where from a Mormon community! it is also being reported that there are missing or kidnapped victims!

may those who perished rest in peace and i pray for the missing and surviving children!

Last edited on Tue Nov 5th, 2019 12:53 pm by frankie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
frankie

Mana: 
a photo i took off the net!

Attached Image (viewed 545 times):

ambushed car.jpg

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Frankie, Where is La Mora?? Read the article on Google also. Bad news, once again organized crime the culprits. Appears this large family were well entrenched in Mex. for decades. History shows they had a running feud with the cartels...sad

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
frankie

Mana: 
La Mora is in the Bavispe region of north east Sonora!
one family member is reporting it may have been a mistake in identity or they where caught in a cross fire!
these where women "MOTHERS" and their CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Here is one of the many story links available online...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/11/05/mormon-family-killed-by-mexican-drug-cartel/4162955002/

So much for all those people who say gringos aren’t being killed by cartels in Mexico.  I’m referring to a few individuals who post on VSC.

Last edited on Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:07 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Fox news has extensive coverage on the story. FBI to be involved per Fox

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
RichD

Mana: 
So sad. There was a time when I enjoyed exploring this area along the Sonora Chihuahua border. It has not been safe for years. This is all over national news in the US. Women and children, these cartels are brutal killers.

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
frankie

Mana: 
the presidents from both republics, Trump and AMLO have both made their preliminary responses to this tragedy! 
Mexico has responded rapidly with police and military, but it is reported it took 4 hours to reach the scene! 
lets be clear the individuals involved have DUAL CITIZENSHIP! 
they are and where the pioneers, ALL reading these posts have in them! 
it is an international incident, with world wide press coverage!
THE SLAUGHTER OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN OF DUAL CITIZENSHIP WILL NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY BY EITHER COUNTRY!
this may be the straw that broke the camels back! i have no doubt this will escalate!

Last edited on Tue Nov 5th, 2019 03:37 pm by frankie

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
An escalation of hugs, Frankie???

Some reports are saying that some of the family members were kidnapped and found killed at a separate location. This was according to other family members. If true, this really doesn't sound like a case of mistaken identity or being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I haven't read any comments from AMLO on this. I see pics of him at a press conference with Durazo talking. What has AMLO had to say about this incident?

What's going on over at VSC? Is the drumbeat still that no gringos are in danger in Mexico and the State Dept warnings are rubbish?

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
RichD

Mana: 
It will be interesting to see what the response is from the US. Are they going to provide assistance to fight the cartels? A terrible tragedy that needs a response just not sure what it will be.

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 04:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
That's the real estate drum beat you're hearing.

I don't believe this is a case of mistaken identity. Any more than the murder of Randy the owner of Cyberco was mistaken.

You don't mistake cars full of women and children for a rival gang.

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
BBC link...this story tells how the LaBaron Mormon group has been fighting the cartels for years, several LaBaron members have been kidnapped and killed in the past, and how the neighboring farmers don’t like over usage of water by the Mormons for their orchards.

So, it was definitely targeted IMO, not mistaken identity smoke the MX politicians are blowing...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50299562

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Let's not speculate as to what happened. I don't know what happened and neither do you. Let's let the authorities, to include US authorities, do an investigation and generate some facts. Apparently there are survivors so expect some updates on what happened.

Local news is reporting gunfire in Agua Prieta (across from Douglas, AZ and north of this incident) early on Monday, including semi-auto and automatic weapons fire. Local authorities opine that it was a fight between cartels but no hard facts from Mexico as of this morning's paper. Maybe related but who knows at this point...

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
richd. The US has been 'providing assistance' for years. The US was instrumental in getting El Chapo. It's also my understanding that the US tax payer foots the bill for the military check point.

Last edited on Tue Nov 5th, 2019 08:06 pm by will rogers

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
RichD wrote: It will be interesting to see what the response is from the US. Are they going to provide assistance to fight the cartels? A terrible tragedy that needs a response just not sure what it will be.

They will refuse help, at least publicly. AMLO will see it as a threat to Mexico's national sovereignty. 

Like the cartel's aren't, Mr. President............?

He's always been about keeping foreign countries influence out of Mexico. He's been against the privatization of Pemex, their mineral resources, etc. He wants the military back to doing it's job protecting Mexico from "invaders". It would be a big about-face for him. 

I have read countless op ed pieces from both side of the border saying that AMLO's policy, vis a vis cartel interdiction, is incoherent at best and possibly collusionary at worst. This is a regular claim, dating back to Calderon. The Mexican presidents favors one cartel over the others, to try and bring some order to all the chaos. It's easier to deal with a monopoly is the reasoning. Getting there is the hard part.

Hugs ain't gonna cut it, against these types. And their business is largely a cash business, so it's hard to weaken them financially.

I did find some info on what AMLO has to say about getting help from the US. Naturally, it's on Borderland Beat. Should have gone their first.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
TrueBlue

Mana: 
A brief snippet from an article in the LA Times:

"The group was ambushed as they traveled in a caravan of three vehicles from the town of Galeana, Chihuahua, to Bavispe, Sonora, Mexican Security Secretary Alfonso Durazo said at a news conference Tuesday morning."

The article goes on to discuss the same history outlined above, i.e. prior conflicts over water, prior kidnapping, being outspoken about cartels, etc.

Bavispe map: https://goo.gl/maps/YsVpWxeJrfweGGU17

Galeana map: https://goo.gl/maps/box4tbVfJQ8Ymtfr7

Per Google Maps, route they would take (if following Google).  Goes right through Agua Prieta.  https://goo.gl/maps/unvwpzTGPXybq8qo8

After reading the family's Facebook page (below), I looked for LaMora to correct the links, but couldn't find it.

Last edited on Tue Nov 5th, 2019 06:23 pm by TrueBlue

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
bartmanaz wrote: Let's not speculate as to what happened. I don't know what happened and neither do you. Let's let the authorities, to include US authorities, do an investigation and generate some facts. Apparently there are survivors so expect some updates on what happened.

Local news is reporting gunfire in Agua Prieta (across from Douglas, AZ and north of this incident) early on Monday, including semi-auto and automatic weapons fire. Local authorities opine that it was a fight between cartels but no hard facts from Mexico as of this morning's paper. Maybe related but who knows at this point...

Here is a Facebook link to one of the family members. It's being updated frequently.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10162945289915599&id=506000598

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Comments on social media range from it was a cult to it is Obama's fault. I agree with Bart, let's take a breath and see what happens. It is a disturbing trend in cartel violence. The only thing I know for sure is that the children were innocent and did not deserve to die.

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
frankie

Mana: 
THE FIRST NEWS IS THE BEST NEWS! 
i just read the facebook post , hook posted for us! there was a second vehicle found 10 miles down road. they where trying to escape the attack!!!
a young boy hide his sibling with brush and went back to the La Mora ranch for help! he arrived at 5:30  6 hours after the attack! which makes the attack happening 11:30 am in broad daylight!

the first time i was aware of the incident was from CNN about 5;00 am. all the reports i was relaying came from the internet and most of the cable news outlets!

by our experience, we will only hear second hand reports from all the news outlets!
it has already started with all the gossip reporting on all the social media! it happens here all the time!

so, seeing and reading reports from family members directly involved. seeing the pictures of the burned vehicle, KNOWING THESE WHERE ALL WOMEN AND CHILDREN, IN 3 VEHICLES, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!
IT'S PRETTY HARD FOR ME TO BELIEVE THAT IT WAS A MISTAKE IN IDENTITY!

Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 07:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
maryt

Mana: 
I think this article gives some context: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/at-least-seven-members-of-mormon-family-brutally-killed-in-northern-mexico/2019/11/05/d303e448-ffbb-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

Hopefully the link works.

Last edited on Tue Nov 5th, 2019 08:01 pm by maryt

Current time is 09:56 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > 9 killed in Sonora Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems