San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Military commanders proposed to take over command of municipal police

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Military commanders proposed to take over command of municipal police  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 01:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
Interesting. If this goes through, and I dont see how it won't, the Guaymas police force will be directly under the military. 

Based on the article, it appears that there is legal justification due to something called the Mando Unico (Single Command). 

https://opinionsonora.com/2019/08/13/proponen-a-comisarios-de-seguridad-para-guaymas-empalme-hermosillo-ciudad-obregon-y-navojoa/

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 03:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
frankie

Mana: 
hook, thanks for posting this i have been trying to copy and post it for days!

a few days back the Governor met with the mayors of Guaymas, Hermosillo, Empalme, Obregon to discuss the security problems we are facing here in Sonora!

i don't recall reading any articles concerning the involvement of the Mexican national guard, which i found curious!

Last edited on Thu Aug 15th, 2019 12:32 pm by frankie

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
This was all proposed by AMLO prior to coming in and I believe it is already in effecton a federal level. National Guard has always been under the military control too as far as I know.
So they are now getting around to asking formally for state and city approval in Sonora, basically using old news to create photo ops to quell public frustrations, and it will go through, otherwise federal $ contributions will dry up.

But murders continue to break records ytd. so it will probably eventually go back to choosing one cartel to control cartel violence as its always been done, imo.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I dont think the National Guard is under direct military control. But I am not certain, either.

AMLO has always been very vocal about not liking the use of the military in all these cartel interdictions or anything related to police work within the country. He has always felt that it was not part of their main duty, i.e., to protect the country from foreign aggression, and he fears that some future president could easily use the military to keep himself in power longer than is allowed by law.

If you remember, the last three Mexican presidents have all floated the idea of disbanding the municipal police forces in all of Mexico. They have proven to be so easily corrupted by the cartels and local gangs. I guess there was never the political will to do it.

Maybe an alternative is to put the munies under direct military control, rather than try and have basic soldiers simply patrolling the streets.

In any event, Mexico is creeping closer to military rule in many aspects of life. The Navy actually performs some ocean conservation tasks like checking commercial catches and even checking recreational licenses, even though there are Federal entities that are supposed to do this. The Army clearly has military checkpoints separate from the municipal, state and Federal police. They have also been stopping the huachicoleros.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. After a brief lull in murders at end of Calderon's admin and the beginning of Pena Nieto's, Mexico is setting new murder records nearly every month. Even though Mexico still has a healthy tourism economy, all this violence and corruption has to have cost Mexico millions more in potential tourist pesos.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Military rule?

The President of Mexico is still the commander in chief and the military and police are controlled by him.

The only exception that I can think of that trumps AMLO and all the rest is my wife, at my house.

Posted: Mon Aug 19th, 2019 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hook

Mana: 
When the military performs tasks that Federal entities are supposed to, but are incapable of, that's creeping towards military rule to me.

Posted: Tue Aug 20th, 2019 01:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
maryt

Mana: 
The military is taking over municipal functions and that requires approval of the city councils which is what the article says they are doing.

Posted: Tue Aug 20th, 2019 04:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
So the US is under military rule when the kids in our national guard are assisting the border patrol with crowd control?

The Mx military has not had the turn over the the local police have, are better trained, have air gunships, aircraft, vehicles and survellience equipment that our local crossing gaurds that we call police in Guaymas do not, and they can persue criminals all over the republic. When the locals authorize them, then they will not be stepping on anyone's territory without prior authorization within the cities too.

These guys rise through the ranks based on performance, where comissarios are put in place without training or the resources to do the job that will take decades, and not just a 4 year term in office.

Even if this doesn't work, at least they tried.

Posted: Tue Aug 20th, 2019 02:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: So the US is under military rule when the kids in our national guard are assisting the border patrol with crowd control?

The Mx military has not had the turn over the the local police have, are better trained, have air gunships, aircraft, vehicles and survellience equipment that our local crossing gaurds that we call police in Guaymas do not, and they can persue criminals all over the republic. When the locals authorize them, then they will not be stepping on anyone's territory without prior authorization within the cities too.

These guys rise through the ranks based on performance, where comissarios are put in place without training or the resources to do the job that will take decades, and not just a 4 year term in office.

Even if this doesn't work, at least they tried.

You're assuming I disagree with the change. I dont. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The other Federal agencies charged with doing many of these tasks are failing. What else is left?

The difference I see in the US is that the military gets involved in specific, finite events that SUPPORTS other agencies. Hurricane relief, tornado relief, a border crisis. Then they leave.

What Mexico is doing looks like long-term deployment of military in areas that were traditionally federal, state or municipal duties. We shall see.

I dont know where the new National Guard fits into this picture.

Posted: Tue Aug 20th, 2019 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
frankie

Mana: 
Hook wrote:

The difference I see in the US is that the military gets involved in specific, finite events that SUPPORTS other agencies. Hurricane relief, tornado relief, a border crisis. Then they leave.

What Mexico is doing looks like long-term deployment of military in areas that were traditionally federal, state or municipal duties. We shall see.

I dont know where the new National Guard fits into this picture.

"military" the USA "army" can not perform law enforcement activities on USA soil! as per the "1878 POSSE COMITATUS ACT"
each state has a "national guard" the Governor is in charge of their states Guard!
this military Guard is what we are familiar with seeing during events that are beyond the means of local first responders! 
i assume and hope that is the intention of the "GUARDIA NATIONAL"!!!

Current time is 09:19 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Military commanders proposed to take over command of municipal police Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems