San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Does Att work any better than Verizon in San Carlos?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Does Att work any better than Verizon in San Carlos?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 12:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I would like to keep one phone number and am wondering if Att has a better signal in San Carlos than Verizon. On Verizon I can barely hear or understand anyone in Mx or the states, and they also complain about my audio.  [highlight= rgb(222, 231, 240); font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;]I thought it was my phone, but it works great in California, so I am convinced that signal strength is the problem.  

When I have tried Mx cells in California, the reception is also poor and  the internet is slower than molasses in Jan. T-mobile doesn't work well at my California residence.I know Tel cell will work there, but having 2 numbers and plans for both locations seems like such a pain.Is att any better or should I stay with Verizon for California and get a booster for the house and car, or breakdown and get the 2nd Telcel number for Mexico when I spend months on end there? 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
YES!!!!! in all of Mexico...And, It is possible to set up call forwarding, where folks call your AT&T states # and it will forward the call to your Mexico phone.

Last edited on Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 02:30 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Other than the cost we are happy with AT&T's service here and in the States. We left Verizon as were assured AT&T had a wider Mexico coverage range. We have found that to be true.

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Clear calls from SC John? I was thinking that a booster in the car and at home might also help.

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Bullshipper, not one problem at all, my wife and I both have AT&T cells.....anywhere in SC/Guaymas, and from Nogales down.

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
When you are in SC- does your cell say Movitel or telcell at the top of the screen in small letters?

Do your calls in SC sound as clear as when you call and get calls in the US? Do people complain about not hearing your phone clearly?

Sorry to be such a pain.

Last edited on Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 06:19 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I have had no problems hearing or understanding my friends who use AT&T with their Android phones in San Carlos when talking to them from my TelCel or TelMex phones.  No booster needed.
Better than when one of them was using Verizon, then switched back to AT&T.

Last edited on Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 07:29 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 09:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
We were ATT for a couple years around 2015-16, but when the wife got a summer job with BLM and was out in the boonies in the US a lot, we had to go Verizon.

I do remember Verizon friends in that earlier time period complaining about Verizon service in SC, but I have found it to be excellent. Occasionally the phone says Movitel, but usually it is Telcel.

ATT bought out a smaller Mex cell tower company about 2-3 years ago and I have HEARD that ATT customers feel they have lesser coverage now, as opposed to when they were all Telcel towers. I dont think their complaints were in San Carlos, though. Just other parts of the country.

Posted: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Ok thanks, everyone, really appreciated your help

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 01:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
at&t has been the best US carrier for international travel for 15 years minimum.

Only go with Verizon if you live in some weird location in the US that has spotty at&t service.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
JZ wrote: at&t has been the best US carrier for international travel for 15 years minimum.

Only go with Verizon if you live in some weird location in the US that has spotty at&t service.

That was the case when ATT was solid with Telcel. No more. They use their own towers in Mex now, when they can, and those aren't everywhere.

Verizon was fine in Italy, Croatia and Slovenia when we were there last year.

We arent big on social media, so a cell phone is first and foremost an emergency device. If you travel the Western US, you realize that ATT is big in cities, but not in between. I value service in the in-between areas.

I am sure it is fine in the LA basin, where you live.

Last edited on Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 01:40 am by Hook

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I live surrounded by mountains, and I just tested ATT here in Yucaipa, and its not good. Cant win.

I think I'll try a booster. These were the only solution when I worked my mines in the Sonora boonies. No service at all without them.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 06:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Hook wrote:
That was the case when ATT was solid with Telcel. No more. They use their own towers in Mex now, when they can, and those aren't everywhere.

Verizon was fine in Italy, Croatia and Slovenia when we were there last year.

We arent big on social media, so a cell phone is first and foremost an emergency device. If you travel the Western US, you realize that ATT is big in cities, but not in between. I value service in the in-between areas.

I am sure it is fine in the LA basin, where you live.

No so fast my friend.  AT&T bought 2 MX carriers 4.5 years ago.  Service dipped for a bit.   I experienced it first hand driving down MX 15 and in SC many times.  Over the next 18 months it picked way up and became excellent.

Been on 100+ international trips around the world in the last 15 years.  Verizon is dog crap in service quality and price.

Last edited on Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 06:32 am by JZ

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 03:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Do you know which carriers att owns or partners with in SC?

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 03:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
This is from Wikipedia:

Purchase of former parent and acquisitions (2005–2014)Edit
[/url]In 2005, SBC purchased AT&T for $16 billion. After this purchase, SBC adopted the better-known AT&T name and brand, with the original AT&T Corp. still existing as the long-distance landline subsidiary of the merged company. The current AT&T claims the original AT&T Corp.'s history (dating to 1885) as its own, though its corporate structure only dates from 1983.[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T#cite_note-14][14] It also retains SBC's pre-2005 stock price history, and all regulatory filings prior to 2005 are for Southwestern Bell/SBC, not AT&T Corp.
In September 2013, AT&T Inc. announced it would expand into Latin America through a collaboration with América Móvil.[15] In December 2013, AT&T announced plans to sell its Connecticut wireline operations to Stamford-based Frontier Communications.[16]

Recent developments (2014–present)Edit
AT&T purchased the Mexican carrier Iusacell in late 2014,[17] and two months later purchased the Mexican wireless business of NII Holdings,[18]merging the two companies to create AT&T Mexico.
In July 2015, AT&T purchased DirecTV for $48.5 billion, or $67.1 billion including assumed debt,[19] subject to certain conditions.[20][21] AT&T subsequently announced plans to converge its existing U-verse home internet and IPTV brands with DirecTV, to create AT&T Entertainment.[22][23][24]
In an effort to increase its media holdings,[25][26][27] on October 22, 2016, AT&T announced a deal to buy Time Warner for $108.7 billion.[28][29][30]
AT&T also owns approximately a 2% stake in Canadian-domiciled entertainment company Lionsgate.[31]
On July 13, 2017, it was reported that AT&T would introduce a cloud-based DVR streaming service as part of its effort to create a unified platform across DirecTV and its DirecTV Now streaming service, with U-verse to be added soon.[32][33][34]In October 2018, it was announced that the service Is set to launch in 2019[35][36]
On September 12, 2017, it was reported that AT&T planned to launch a new cable TV-like service for delivery over-the-top over its own or a competitor's broadband network sometime next year.[37]
On November 20, 2017, Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim filed a lawsuit for the United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division to block the merger with Time Warner, saying it "will harm competition, result in higher bills for consumers and less innovation."[38][39] In order for AT&T to fully acquire Time Warner, the Department of Justice stated that the company must divest either DirecTV or Turner Broadcasting System.[40]
As of 2017, AT&T is the world's largest telecommunications company.[41] AT&T is also the second largest provider of mobile telephone services and the largest provider of fixed telephone services in the United States.[42]
On March 7, 2018, the company prepared to sell a minority stake of DirecTV Latin America through an IPO, creating a new holding company for those assets named Vrio Corp.[43][44] However, on April 18, 2018, just a day before the public debut of Vrio, AT&T canceled the IPO due to market conditions.[45][46]
On June 12, 2018, AT&T was given permission by U.S. District Court Judge Richard J. Leon to go ahead with its $85 billion deal for Time Warner. The DOJ had attempted to stop the merger fearing it would harm competition.[47] The merger closed two days after, becoming a wholly owned subsidiary and division of AT&T with a new name, WarnerMedia, announced the next day.[48]
Three months after completing the acquisition, AT&T reorganized into four main units: Communications, including consumer and business wireline telephony, AT&T Mobility, and consumer entertainment video services; WarnerMedia, including Turner cable television networks, Warner Bros. film and television production, and HBO; AT&T Latin America, consisting of wireless service in Mexico and video in Latin America and the Caribbean under the Vrio brand; and Advertising and Analytics, since renamed Xandr.[49][50]

AT&T Latin America, LLC
FormerlyAT&T International, Inc. (2017-2018)
TypeDivisionIndustryTelecommunicationFounded2017; 2 years agoHeadquarters
DallasTexas
United States[51]
Area servedMexico

South America Key peopleLori Lee
(CEO)ProductsWireless
Satellite televisionRevenue US$7 billion (2018)
[52]ParentAT&TSubsidiariesAT&T Mexico
VrioWebsitehttp://www.att.comAT&T Latin America (formerly AT&T International, Inc.) is a wholly owned division of AT&T which operates in Mexico and 11 countries in South America.[53]
HistoryEditIn 2017, AT&T announced a new AT&T International corporate division housing AT&T MexicoDirecTV Latin America and their stakes of SKY Brazil and Sky Mexico.[54]
In October 2016, AT&T announced a deal to acquire Time Warner worth $85.4 billion (including assumed Time Warner debt). The proposed deal would give AT&T significant holdings in the media industry; AT&T's competitor Comcast had previously acquired NBCUniversal in a similar bid to increase its media holdings, in concert with its ownership of television and internet providers. If approved by federal regulators, the merger would bring Time Warner's properties under the same umbrella as AT&T's telecommunication holdings, including satellite provider DirecTV.[55][56][57]
By the end of July, the company announced that, effective August 1, a new structure was created before the acquisition would close. On September 15, 2017, Reuters reported, citing anonymous sources, that AT&T, the owner of DIRECTV's U.S. and Latin American divisions, had hired an advisor to consider offering AT&T Latin America on the public stock market. In November 2017, the U.S. Justice Department said it was moving to sue to block the AT&T-Time Warner merger.[58] On November 20, 2017, the Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit over the acquisition; Makan Delrahim stated that the deal would "greatly harm American consumers". AT&T asserts that this suit is a "radical and inexplicable departure from decades of antitrust precedent".[59] On December 22, 2017, the merger agreement deadline was extended to June 21, 2018.[60]On April 19, 2018, the IPO was cancelled. On June 12, 2018, the AT&T-Time Warner merger was approved by a federal judge.[61] Two days later, AT&T completed the acquisition of Time Warner, and a day later the company was renamed WarnerMedia.
On September 21, 2018, AT&T reclassified it four principal divisions which includes AT&T International which now have some assets moved out like the RSNs, an also merging Consumer Mobility, Technology and Business Mobility and renamed the company as AT&T Latin America.[49]

Last edited on Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 04:03 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 08:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: Do you know which carriers att owns or partners with in SC?

I cant remember what shows up on ATT phones now in SC, but it often isn't Telcel. Or so I have seen on my friends phones.

My Verizon phone is 99% Telcel in SC. Sometimes in one room of my house, I will occasionally see Movistar. I'm glad that it accepts both of those as those are big cellular companies in Mexico.

Bullshipper, have you tried experimenting with removing the case around your phone? My wife and I have the exact same phone, but different cases and we have noticed that some cases can significantly reduce the ability of phones to pick up marginal cell tower signals.

From what I hear, the good boosters are expensive, not real effective and MAY be rendered obsolete by the LEO satellites that Bezos and Elon Musk are supposedly going to be launching in the near future. It will blanket the "industrialized world" with wifi from above. Could be a real game-changer for cell companies, depending on how competitive it is. 

Point being, dont go spending hundreds of dollars on some kind of booster/antenna combo (which IS possible to do).

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
One other thing. Most phones will allow you to choose the cell network that your phone is compatible with. If there is more than one (IME, Telcel and Movistar are both in SC), experiment with forcing your phone to work on another network and see if it works better.

Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
JZ

Mana: 
It says AT&T on the phone in Mexico.

You can also watch stuff like YouTube TV on your phone in MX w/o any issues.

Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 06:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
mrmikek

Mana: 
ATT works fine all the way from here in Alaska, thru The Yukonand on thru Canad and the western states to San Carlos....even in the LA basin.

Current time is 09:19 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Does Att work any better than Verizon in San Carlos? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems