San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Absolutely Sickening  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 10th, 2019 09:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
m620c

Mana: 
Just had lunch at Hammerheads and saw an appx 26' express pull up to the cleaning station.  No name and no charter numbers. One silver outrigger and one black outrigger.  Appeared to have two hispanic looking fishermen and two or three captain/crew.  Unloaded and cleaned 17-20 female dorado all between 6 & 14 pounds, completely full of eggs.  When I asked the guy cleaning why all the small ones, his response was "mucho disponible" (many available).  I know this is not the crux of the issue with our fishery, but it makes me sick to witness such a waste.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jun 10th, 2019 10:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
diver45

Mana: 
It is sickening, just like the commercial hooka divers that night dive for baby lobster, they don't care. Just they way Mexicans think. The summer is the worse time for this carelessness. Unfortunate!

Posted: Tue Jun 11th, 2019 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Hook

Mana: 
Sadly, there is no size limit on dorado.

Gee, I guess the boat must have had 8-10 anglers on board. Two dorado per angler is the limit.

Posted: Tue Jun 11th, 2019 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
There is a suggested size limit from one group, but it wouldn't matter, as obviously limits don't matter either.

Posted: Tue Jun 11th, 2019 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
While it is lamentable that sportfisherman take small fish it is the commercial fishing sector that has destroyed the Dorado fishery in the sea of Cortez not the sport fishermen not even immoral sport fisherman have caused the destruction of the Dorado fishing here.

And it wouldn't matter if there was a limit on size because there is no enforcement as we all know. Mexico doesn't spend money in fisheries enforcement and it doesn't look like they will in any time in the near future.

That is why we would like to have some kind of marine park here in San Carlos where local users would be in charge of inspection and enforcement.

Last edited on Tue Jun 11th, 2019 05:16 pm by Vince Radice

Posted: Tue Jun 11th, 2019 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The marines shot and killed two pangueros 2 months ago in San Felipe poaching Totuava. Video is on the internet.

Posted: Wed Jun 12th, 2019 01:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
I have seen the same thing happening up here in Kino, with catches over the limits, but more important, almost totally female, small size, same rationalization. I have not seriously tried for dorado for years because of this. Sad indeed.

Posted: Sun Jun 16th, 2019 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
Last winter I counted 8 draggers one night side by side rapping the bottom. When will they shut those fools down ?? Why not go to traps for prawns rather than drag ??

Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Your going to have about as much luck there as telling the cartel to stop selling drugs, or migrants to cross legally.

Posted: Wed Aug 14th, 2019 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
m620c

Mana: 
Look at the photo in this weeks newsletter from Team Margarita Sportfishing, all female Dorado. One 5 lb, one 10 lb and one maybe 12 lb.  I realize it's a business, but geez!!

Posted: Wed Aug 14th, 2019 03:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Sorry, I was away. Not the collage shot I would have used, but I did forward the photos. I can't say that they were injured either. I was out ten days ago and it seemed like 90% females. I release a very high percentage of my fish ( on circle hooks and carefully, unlike many others). We release all our billfish and don't take out of the water shots of anything but the small ones. Charters paying good money want to take home a meal or two. Lack of bait is keeping these fish small, the more mature ones are looking for debris for protection of their young (or they are getting munched up by birds and skipjack), and long liners are out there, purse seigners with FADs on the high seas, and pangueros setting up little FADs all along the coasts. Maybe we should just send the clients north this time of year.

Posted: Wed Aug 14th, 2019 05:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
m620c

Mana: 
"Can't say they were injured"?  Two of the three are GAFFED!

Posted: Wed Aug 14th, 2019 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I didn't look close. I wasn't there. When we caught 30 the other day, there were a few on J-hooks that had to be kept. Do you even fish?

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
m620c

Mana: 
Not that it has any relevance, but yes I fish usually twice a week.  I know all the difficulties of releasing Dorado.

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The limit is 2 dorado per day per person. I am sure that Brian had more than one guest on his charter. So to give his clients crap over 3 fish in the 5-10 lb range that are within their limits is petty imo. They are doing the fishing.

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
TDB333

Mana: 
   Just ask Ernesto Zaragoza.....Self-professed Sportsman, Hunter & Conservationist who has been dragging for shrimp for years w/ his fleet of "Shrimpers" and making him very wealthy! 

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Just curious why it was only his second post. I don't think my captain has been left with one Dorado meal this year. Maybe they thought that first one was going to be the only one on the half day trip. Yes, the guys get a little gaff happy not wanting to lose fish. Many visitors don't quite understand the need for conservation. It's a ugly business to try to survive at.

Posted: Thu Aug 15th, 2019 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Sorry to feel you Tdb333 but Ernesto passed away about 2 years ago. Pick on somebody else or get up too date.

Posted: Fri Aug 16th, 2019 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
TDB333

Mana: 
His family is still involved and, past sins are not healed by death. I 1st met Ernesto thru Safari Club International in 1999 & hunted with him out of Guaymas several times. I then learned about his shrimping fleet & asked him why he felt he could drag closer than 5 miles from the coastline. No reply, just a smile. I am up to date......! And, apparently, more on top of the persons taking advantage of lax Mexican oversight of a most precious resource than you are.....

Posted: Fri Aug 16th, 2019 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I'll guarantee you that the rape of the fish in the Sea of Cortez will stop when the fish are all gone.......and that coming muy pronto.. I weep  when I think that I will have to live to see it.... within 10 to 20 years. Look back 20 years and compare it to today. Then project that change forward..  "Tight Lines"

Current time is 09:38 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Absolutely Sickening Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems