San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Shore fishing, fly fishing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 20th, 2019 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mgarza

Mana: 
I come to SC two or three times a year. Although I love going out for billfish or jigging for YT, I am a fly fisherman and I love to fish from shore. In the past years I´ve had sand bass, triggers, small jacks, snappers, milkfish and white sea bass among other species, but I haven´t found anything of size. Anybody have any tips or locations on shore fishing?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon May 20th, 2019 05:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
repsilon

Mana: 
You'd have to be very lucky. If you waited all season you might get up to minute chance at a yellowtail or Toro. The skipjack roam the shore occasionally in Fall. A couple illegal spots could offer opportunities.

Posted: Mon May 20th, 2019 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
FM4

Mana: 
Maybe try up around Ensenada Chica. I know they do a shore tournament for cabrilla up there in the spring. It would be better if you had a small boat to get you to some of the more remote spots. I camped out there with captain Jesse out of SC last year. He took his little panga out for us and we slept on the beach and fished 2 days. Spent most our time chasing yellows a little off shore, but we also caught cabrilla and pargo casting at the rocks.

Posted: Mon May 20th, 2019 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Your best spots would be the north-east point of Honeymoon, the rock off the Mirador, or San Antonio point. Then you might get up to a 1% chance of a good fish on a fly rod.

Posted: Mon May 20th, 2019 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
most of our spots would have you casting into the wind in the summer.

I would locate some dorado with a boat under a patty farther out if I was you. Barracuda near shore are your other proability.

Posted: Mon May 20th, 2019 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
He knows he needs a boat. Some long-rodders need therapy, and I'm not talking about fishing therapy. Get to Baja for a 3% chance at a rooster fish or travel to the tropical Pacific to catch something of size from shore.

Posted: Wed May 22nd, 2019 03:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
repsilon wrote: He knows he needs a boat. Some long-rodders need therapy, and I'm not talking about fishing therapy. Get to Baja for a 3% chance at a rooster fish or travel to the tropical Pacific to catch something of size from shore.

Interesting post Brian.

I understood him to say he wanted to try from shore and that is possible. 

The larger cabrilla and yellowtail all are very close to the rocks for popper season, so that is something he could try.

Corbina and toros up to 25 lbs roam the beach in front of Charlies Rock during the hotter rainy seasons, and the Corbina get 2x larger than that around the entrances to both marinas.

Posted: Wed May 22nd, 2019 07:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
  I know. I'm just saying that the chances of success are extremely low. 
  I had the toros crash the beach at my house once last year. The blitz lasted thirty seconds, in which I got a good long cast off as I was still finishing a fifty yard sprint. I don't think that I could have ran there with a casting basket, ripped enough line out, and got a good roll cast off because a house was behind me. Now, that one eventually broke off on the rocks. I didn't lose any off the paddleboard. It would suck to spend thirty days hiking down to San Antonio point making hundreds of casts a day to have that fish wrap your expensive fly line around the rocks, which is most likely what will happen. The toros were present for two days, which often seems to be the case.
  I do believe the toros frequently swim by the ledge on the NE side of Honeymoon. I have had multiple follows there, but even with long popper casts have yet to get a 'land' strike.
  I once saw 'large' corvina (not white sea bass) at my feet on the Manglares shoreline. I don't get up at 5:00 to fish for them like some of the guys, but even then I usually hear that they have very limited success. 
  I did see some Milkfish in the estuary last year, but I think they are vegetarian. The Machete/Ladyfish fight like big fish, and they would be a blast on a light rod.
  The big snapper are pretty fished out, except in off-limit's areas. Besides the random times that they have corvina success, the shoreline bite is usually only decent for a couple weeks around late October or early November.
  I hooked several big yellowtail in tight to San Antonio this year, but that was still farther out and deeper than a fly could reach. Last year I saw one hour where yellowtail were chasing bait literally onto the rocks down from the Lookout, but you still would have had to have been patiently waiting on the right rock (and you would have seen us get a dozen on poppers)
  I just couldn't put my vacation or life on the sideline for months in the pursuit of a big fish on a fly rod when I could be catching fish on conventional tackle. I love to fly fish, but I guess that I enjoy catching fish more. Maybe I am just not a purist. I just see it as sensible. Use your boat. Have your fly rod ready. Save up for that Christmas Island trip. Be sensible and ust don't get your hopes up here of catching a big fish from shore, ...especially on a fly rod.

Posted: Wed May 22nd, 2019 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Toros are something to fish father south where they run up to 30 lbs and hang around all year in great numbers round. Barra de Navidad to Punta Mita is a good stretch to explore for these.

Cabrilla, Corvina and Skipjack are what I would target in our area if shore fly fishing was on my agenda. Lots of retired folks cant afford to charter a lot of days, so shore fishing watching the sun come up is an affordable fun way to start the day, and one fresh fish is lunch.

Posted: Wed May 22nd, 2019 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
TONY ABQ

Mana: 
Last year around November , December my Mexican friends were fishing from beach el mirador and caught many yellow tail, silver doing basically. I tried one morning and caught a barracuda  but had fun. 

Posted: Sat Jun 8th, 2019 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
miguelgza

Mana: 
Thank you all for your great information and replies! I know I need a boat to be effective on the big fish in San Carlos, and I am actually chartering with Abel for a couple of days, but I love exploring with a fly rod as I’ve done in many places to challenge myself a bit. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Posted: Sun Jun 9th, 2019 06:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
FM4

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: Toros are something to fish father south where they run up to 30 lbs and hang around all year in great numbers round. Barra de Navidad to Punta Mita is a good stretch to explore for these.

Cabrilla, Corvina and Skipjack are what I would target in our area if shore fly fishing was on my agenda. Lots of retired folks cant afford to charter a lot of days, so shore fishing watching the sun come up is an affordable fun way to start the day, and one fresh fish is lunch.
engine trouble has me stuck on the beach this weekend.  Did some snorkeling with the family today in front of soggy peso. Saw a big school of 5-10lb toros swim by a couple times.  Saw a golden terevally too.  I haven’t done much snorkeling in SC in quite some time but I don’t  remember ever seeing either of those 2 species when I was  a kid.  Some good size pargo out there too. I gotta think going  out chest deep and trying a few casts with popper and streamer Flies would eventually get bit by  Something. I’m taking my spinner tomorrow. 

Posted: Mon Jun 10th, 2019 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
The skipjack showed yesterday.

Posted: Mon Jun 10th, 2019 04:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Greene74

Mana: 
FM4 That's cool, I have never seen a Golden Trevally in San Carlos and I've been spearfishing, fishing, and diving there most of my life. Maybe I will get lucky and shoot 1, one of these days.

Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2019 06:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
angler

Mana: 
Don't let the naysayers get you down! You know saltwater flyfishing is a low percentage game already.

Bonefish are plentiful but small around any estuary or sandy bottom. Haven't been able to sight fish for them, but they are plentiful.

Your best bet for a big fish is fall around the marinas for corvina. They love flies, casts tend to be short and I've caught them to about 18 pounds. You'll find tons of 2-3 pounders and an occasional double digit fish. Sun up or sundown into the dark are the best times.

In the fall, we catch tons of small roosters (2-3 pounds), leather jacks and small sierra right in the wash on sandy beaches. Very short casts. Just have to keep baits moving fast. Every now and then the larger roosters (very rare) or big toros show up. If you see a big brown cloud moving down the beach, those are most likely toros. Do whatever you can to get a bait in front of them.

Last edited on Tue Oct 8th, 2019 06:11 pm by angler

Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2019 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Try to rock point just opposite the Soggy Peso. Maybe make a floating line net so that you can wade farther. Dorado would have been easy pickings yesterday.

Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2019 08:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
There are a lot of locals that fish the shore here on a regular basis before they go to work. Driving around, the pelicans will be on the bait and tip you off where to try for the fish that are crowding what they also feed on into shallow water.
Very early is the key imo, and I think I would target sierra just past the main marina gas station if they where running, or much larger corvina along the break water at the entrance of Marina Real. Going past the northern fishing village of La Manga has some other good shore spots, and you will probably also see other locals fishing there too.

Last edited on Tue Oct 8th, 2019 09:00 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Thu Nov 14th, 2019 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Mgarza

Mana: 
I went to San Carlos about a month ago but didn't post the report. We had a lot of fun, tons of sierra boiling right on the beach, between three anglers fishing the whole weekend we caught over 70 sierras, mostly small, three roosters, biggest one about four pounds, two yellowtails of about two pounds, one good sized milkfish and a mixed bag of snappers, grunts, triggers and pompanos. All on fly, all from shore. Thanks to all for your help.

Posted: Fri Nov 15th, 2019 03:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
A real Milkfish, or a Ladyfish (machete)? I saw a few fins that I questioned lately. I never saw the big toros up close this year. I did get a 13# snapper.

Posted: Fri Nov 15th, 2019 04:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
There were multiple reports of small sailfish down by Pilar. I saw one there about 11# in only 8' of water. I think I saw a couple dozen one day in close maybe 1-3#, but I also saw green ballyhoo snorkeling that were up to 2.5#.

Current time is 01:09 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Shore fishing, fly fishing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems