San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sonora only vehicle permit  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 6th, 2019 01:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Sc116

Mana: 
What are the specifics of a Sonora Only vehicle permit? Online sources say it is "free" and that the need for a credit card is waived. Does this mean that it does not require the 400 dollar deposit as the all mexico permit does? Finally, can the Auto permits be acquired in Guaymas banjercito? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Apr 6th, 2019 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Drive down and get it from the horses mouth - not far. Be adventurous.

Posted: Sat Apr 6th, 2019 06:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
$400 deposit is waived...

Posted: Sun Apr 7th, 2019 02:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DocD

Mana: 
It is not free. The pass is around $55. good for 6 months.

Last edited on Sun Apr 7th, 2019 02:11 am by DocD

Posted: Sun Apr 7th, 2019 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
There is no need to get a permit as long as you stay on the main roads and the highway as far south as Empalme in the touristy areas. USA plated car travel going east into the mountains is not allowed, although we have never been stopped and this is something we did weekly.
Things can change, and there may also be other forms of internet car permits available, so I do not wish to contradict other posters.

Posted: Mon Apr 8th, 2019 05:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Sc116

Mana: 
Thanks everyone for the info. We are planning on driving to Alamos, so I wouldn't want to take the chance in not getting it. I found some other info online that said it could be obtained at kilometer 98 checkpoint, on the road between Empalme and Obregon. Hopefully we can get one in Guaymas, without much difficulty.

Posted: Mon Apr 8th, 2019 05:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
I had an acquitance report that he traveled from Guaymas to Alamos a few weeks back and was stopped 3 times. He put the sticker above his rearview mirror.. and apparently when police/federalies looked they didn't see it and pulled him over... 3 times... in Vicam, again just north of Obregon, again in Navojoa.

So, it would be foolish to try to drive from Guaymas to Alamos without at least obtaining the Sonora Only at KM98 (which is just past Guaymas/Empalme).

As some reported the Sonora Only carries a price of $55, but at least you don't have to put down the $400 deposit on a credit card as well (All of Mexico requires that $400 deposit).

Posted: Mon Apr 8th, 2019 07:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Sc116

Mana: 

Yes, it seems you are right. I guess I've been over thinking it as the the Kilometer 98 Sonora Only location seems to be the correct place to go. The only remaining question I have, is that some online reviews say that they only accept dollars, which seems odd. If that is true, I guess I will have to change pesos back into dollars, as that is all I'm holding currently.

And thanks for the heads up on placement of the sticker. I won't be  too surprised if I get pulled over. I do appreciate all of the replies. It is nice to have the proper info in one place. Hopefully it will help other newbies in the future. I think it is for everyone's benefit, including Mexico's to encourage tourism at this point. There are many Americans who just don't come down here because of the perceived hassle, coupled with the heavy doses of fear coming out of the US media machine. They obviously want you to keep your dollars on the other side of the "wall". Divide and rule, mis amigas y amigos.

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 04:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
Yeah..the media hype machine..tell that to the two families who's cars were hijacked at gunpoint from the KM98 parking lot. Nothing better than a 3 post know-it-all to tell everyone about how crappy the US is and "there is no problem here". Drop us a post in 20 years and share your knowledge. Jeez....

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 05:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
maryt

Mana: 
And no need for oldies to be rude.

We have always paid in pesos at K98.

Posted: Sun Apr 21st, 2019 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I havent gotten one in about 5-6 years but I remember putting it on the credit card. Not talking about the 400 dollar bond. The permit.

But this was an All of Mex permit; though I dont think that would matter, in terms of paying for the permit.

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2019 02:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
miguelito_b

Mana: 
I travel to Navojoa frequently and use the only Sonora. You cannot get the permit at the Border, but You will need your immigration permit. this determines the length of time the permit will be good for. You can get your immigration tourist permit at the border or KM 21 You only cancel the Only Sonora permit at KM 21. South of Nogales. KM 98 is S. of Empalme. where you get the Only Sonora. Why get it the only Sonora? Because I do not want to pay a $400 bond on credit card and get the All Mexico TIP(Banjercito) Rather pay $60 since I am not travelling outside of Sonora. Make sure you cancel the permit back in KM 21 otherwise that is another headache. Sure, you can skip the permit and take a chance, but not worth the risk. I had to one time. but will not do it again. It is better to have your ducks in a row while traveling abroad.

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2019 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
maryt wrote: And no need for oldies to be rude.

We have always paid in pesos at K98.
I would have happily advised my experiences in having to get a permit 10 times, if they had not interjected their views about the border and "don't worry be happy" quip at the end of their obvious inexperience.

Posted: Tue Apr 23rd, 2019 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
frankie

Mana: 
i have a question maybe someone can answer. if i have a NOB vehicle registered in my companies name do i need or can i get a permit for it?? i am a residente permante!
i know i am not to be driving vehicles from the USA in my name. 

Last edited on Wed Apr 24th, 2019 04:21 pm by frankie

Posted: Thu Apr 25th, 2019 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
It would be worth a drive to K98 to find out, Frankie. Never heard that question posed.

Posted: Fri Apr 26th, 2019 02:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Kathy R

Mana: 
My husband and I once brought our company owned vehicle in and it was just a lot of talk and "almost" tears that got it in when I finally was able to convince them that we WERE the company. It would probably be wise to have a notarized note of permission from the "company".

Posted: Fri Apr 26th, 2019 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
chucklesg

Mana: 
From my experience, you just need a letter, preferably on company letter head, that shows you own the company or have permission from the company, to have the vehicle as named on the title and registration.

Current time is 03:41 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Sonora only vehicle permit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems