San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Wettest winter rainstorm in the past eleven years

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Wettest winter rainstorm in the past eleven years  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Hook

Mana: 
Well, this one is now at the top of the list, with respect to rainfall amounts during the non-tropical months, if memory serves.  I have recorded 0.83 inches or 21 mm of rain in the East Ranchitos.

An earlier storm this winter dumped about 0.40 inches. I seem to recall one winter rainstorm about 5-6 years ago that dumped around 0.60 inches.

In any event, this is the wettest and cloudiest winter in the eleven I have spent down here. Probably 6-7 of those winters, San Carlos got ZERO precipitation between December and April.

As ever, the clouds are a two-edged sword, with respect to temperatures. This winter probably has the lowest average daytime highs for a winter (since I arrived in 2008), but it probably is close to the highest nighttime lows of any winter. I can recall one winter where my PWS never recorded a low below 50 F (10 C) all winter, and probably 75% of the nights were above 60 F (15 C).  It was another cloudy winter like this one. 

Close inspection of other existing PWS in San Carlos has revealed that my location has the coolest overnight lows in San Carlos, IN CLEAR CONDITIONS. I have the farthest PWS from the ocean. PWSs closer to the coast will experience significantly warmer nights IN CLEAR CONDITIONS. But when cloud cover blankets an area, even locales with a cool ocean are about the same temps as inland areas.

What do the rest of you think? Is this the cloudiest winter you can remember? What about it, oldtimers?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 08:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
frankie

Mana: 
i was commenting just yesterday , that i don't ever remember it being this over cast and cool for this long of a time. i even joked about moving further south

Last edited on Tue Mar 12th, 2019 09:03 pm by frankie

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
m620c

Mana: 
Country Club - .77 inches / 19.5 mm

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I’m not joking about moving further south...I’m serious!
I’m going to have to become a snowbird from here to somewhere warmer in the winter!

This winter weather has been horrible.  Can’t wait for sunny days!!!! 

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
M620c, does your station report to the internet?

It appears that a station on the east shore of Caracol Turistica got the most rain of the reporting stations at 0.89 inches. But, overall, it was a pretty even rain.

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2019 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
My rain gauge on the Caracol Pen measured 1.05”.

Posted: Wed Mar 13th, 2019 08:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I was just talking to a weather aficionado friend of mine who lives in SoCal. He said that, for the first time ever, the daytime high in downtown Los Angeles never reached 70 degrees for the entire month of February. In fact, downtown L.A. went 41 days with temperatures below 70 F, until yesterday.

That's incredible. 70 F is often attained in any month in L.A. It's downtown is enough inland that it escapes the marine layer and has many sunny days in winter.

But not this year.

In the winter, ANY weather San Carlos gets comes from the Pacific Ocean, descends towards LA and SD, crosses Baja and impacts us. That's not common, though.

In a NORMAL year, high pressure systems north of us tend to redirect the jet stream and push storm systems across northern CA, and they miss us. This year the jet stream has parked farther south and the clouds are getting down here.

This is going to be a legendary desert wildflower season in the deserts of California and Arizona. It is already well underway. It may kick off some wildflowers (that normally wait for monsoon rains) in San Carlos, too.

Posted: Wed Mar 13th, 2019 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
frankie

Mana: 
global warming?

Posted: Wed Mar 13th, 2019 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
ice age

Posted: Wed Mar 13th, 2019 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
frankie

Mana: 
hopefully not our future!!

Attached Image (viewed 260 times):

snowcallesola.jpg

Current time is 06:53 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Wettest winter rainstorm in the past eleven years Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems