San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cell phone coverage  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
Help! Last visit in San Carlos discovered my TracFone would NOT work in San Carlos or anywhere in Mexico for that matter. I switched over to Cricket as they "guaranteed" I would have coverage in "Mexico" but now I am hearing differently.  Can anyone give me a service that really works in San Carlos?  

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Telcel - a new SIM card is cheap - and free calls to Can and US

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 08:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
so you wait until you get into mexico and then buy a telcal sim card? or do you have to buy a phone from them? I have found by research that using a different sim does not mean the carrier is the same for the phone.  at any rate, thank you for the info. I will check it out!

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
You need an unlocked phone. That is - a phone not locked to any specific carrier. I looked up Tracfone and web says - TracFone SIMs are programmed to recognize only TracFone phones. ... After activation, the phone won't accept any other SIM card, and the SIM card won't work in any other phone. The issue isn't simply between TracFone and AT&T. The real issue is that TracFone phones can only accept TracFone SIM cards.  Telcel offers a cheap non-smart phone for about us$35 that visitors can buy with a SIM and some minutes and add minutes with pay as you go no-contract.

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:18 pm by nice guy

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
do you buy a telcal phone and then the sim card? looked at this last night and various sims at different prices  you could buy.  Wondering if you would be able to tell from the get go which phone would be compatible?

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
El Suizo

Mana: 
I have AT&T north of the border and it works perfect down in Mexico not just San Carlos and Guaymas. 

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
When I bought my cheapest-of-the-line TelCel phone, the guy at the counter put the SIM card in the phone as part of the set up.  Works fine, have had it 9 years.  After the initial pesos in the phone have been used, go to any OXXO to buy more and have them loaded in the phone.  Or buy the scratch off card and load the pesos when convenient for you.  They have an expiration date, so the timing can be important.
Because the pesos have an expiration date, based on when loaded into the phone, don’t load up more than you can use.
When you go to the TelCel office in Guaymas, ask the person at the door for an English speaking sales person if you need English.  Several of the young sales people speak English very well.
Good luck and have fun!

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
FWIW, Verizon phones also work very well down here. Didnt use to be so, only a few years ago, especially on the highway coming down. But now I find I am occasionally on the Telcel network and occasionally on the Movistar network, and am never without service. I bought an unlocked international Samsung 7s that apparently works on CDMA and GSM towers. I can select either one or leave it on "Global" and it finds any and all networks and lets me choose. Or it will choose automatically, if I want it to.

I am on a month-to-month, 55 and older, Verizon plan with unlimited text and voice in Mex, Canada and the US. Data is 500mb/day. Two lines for 80.00 US. I think it is a form of Verizon Unlimited.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I have had great service and coverage with my TelCel unlimited plan for about $us20 per month with coverage in Mexico, USA, and Canada. In the USA, TelCel uses ATT and other networks to give excellent coverage. I am very happy with TelCel !!!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
thanks all!! wondering if I could get a Telcel online prior to departing us for mex? sim cards are plentiful. going to do some more research on this. would love to get set up BEFORE we travel this time.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 01:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Easiest way is to go to the Gym main Telcel next to Tufesa with passport, tourist visa, your address, hotel?, and some pesos.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
thank you! so much for all of the information.  I am going to contact telcal US tomorrow to see if I can get a phone set up prior to leaving NEXT fall for San Carlos.  I was hoping to keep  my US phone number for just one carrier, don't know if that is a realistic possibility but attempting to do so.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
correction Telcel

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2019 02:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
caroleshedd

Mana: 
Telcel US is the official TracFone contract. I'm just going to order sim card for Telcel/Intl, activate when we cross the border with one of my unlocked phones. Any type of phone work better over the other?? Thanks again .

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2019 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
rdsailing

Mana: 
Also traveling with my boat to San Carlos.  I use T-Mobile which works great for me in Canada, anyone using it in San Carlos?

Also interested in what data costs are for Telcel per GB.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2019 08:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
There's 6-7 ?? pay as you go "rates" - see

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/tarifas-y-opciones-end/amigo-sin-limite

Last edited on Fri Feb 1st, 2019 08:38 pm by nice guy

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2019 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
rdsailing

Mana: 
I found this which seems very reasonable https://us.telcel.com/secure/ServicePlans

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2019 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
If you're going to be on a boat in the Sea, you might not use much, as there's no service in 95% of the coast.

Posted: Sun Feb 3rd, 2019 04:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Lots of bad information ITT. Telcel is really only a good option if you are in MX for long periods of time. No one can call you on your US number. They have to call you on your MX Telcel number.  Plus you have to fumble around with SIM cards and dealing with Telcel. If you live in MX, sure, if you are visiting, no.

AT&T is the best for MX. You get free calls, text, and data for all of North America. Same with T-Mobile, but AT&T has a little better service (AT&T bought 2 MX carriers in the last 2-3 years). Both roam over to the Telcell network (for free) when not using their own networks. My 3 kids use their iPhones in MX just like they are in the US.

Cricket is owned by AT&T. You can get plans that give you free roaming to MX. If anything, just turn it on for a month or so: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/international-calling/coverage-in-mexico-and-canada.html

Verizon has historically been the worst US carrier for international roaming, but they have slowly gotten better.

Last edited on Mon Feb 4th, 2019 01:23 am by JZ

Posted: Sun Feb 3rd, 2019 11:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I have no problems with Verizon

Current time is 09:11 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Cell phone coverage Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems