San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Who is actuall in charge of the Guaymas Police?

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Who is actuall in charge of the Guaymas Police?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2019 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
Okay, I've reworded my question, apparently, nobody wants to touch this with a 10-foot pole. There are several people on here that probably COULD address this question???

People talk about this privately, I'm just curious, so I'm asking all of you the same question.
I can't seem to get a definitive answer.

This past summer when the Police handoff to the Cartel incident occurred, The Governor had to bring in the State and Federal police. ( True? Yes, true! I was here for that.) They took over the Guaymas municipality and surrounding sectors of Guaymas. ( that included us here in San Carlos ) Is Guaymas back in control of its own municipality? 
I see tourist police, I still see State and Federal police too? 
2 Days ITS BEEN posted and no answer from ANYONE......
I GUESS I HAVE MY ANSWER!!!    HOW SAD IS THAT!!

Last edited on Sun Jan 6th, 2019 05:00 pm by dolphin007

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2019 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
RichD

Mana: 
The comandante of police report to the Guaymas mayor (presidente). There are quite a few 'sub' comandantes like the one for San Carlos. I have no idea how long the situation lasted with the other agencies taking over but I think it is back to normal now. The prior mayor was accused of all kinds of corruption, I do not know if it was true. Maybe people did not reply to your question because nobody knows for sure. The comisarios of smaller communities within the municipality of Guaymas report to the mayor. It is usually an appointed position but recently they had an election and Enrique Gamez will be the comisario. He operates the business next to CIBanco. Municipios in Sonora are more like counties in Arizona. The comandante of San Carlos does not report to the comisario, they both report to the presidente of Guaymas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_Sonora

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2019 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
Hey, Thanks RichD. Appreciate your explanation of positions.
The Comandante is appointed by the New Mayor, who answers to the Govorner in Hermosillo.
the COMMISARIO in the past has always been appointed to the position in San Carlos. I'm glad to see that they let the Mexican residents actually vote for that position.. Progress! ( viva San Carlos ) :O)

However, the question I was really wondering was: Did Governor P. in Hermosillo ACTUALLY give ALL THE LEGAL POLICE ATHORITY back to the Mayor ( or Presidente of Guaymas)
A friend of mine called Hermosillo just before Christmas and could NOT get a straight answer. They danced around the subject. ???????
Well, at least the new mayor allowed the Mexican citizens of San Carlos a vote on who will be in charge of the tourist and tourism.

A Comissaserio isnt required to have police powers or any Law Enforcement background at all. ( So I was informed)

Your sooooo right!!!
They are two completely different people. One has POWER and one makes suggestions.

The Commandant is still an "appointment" to oversee San Carlos. Hopefully Not like the last one!

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I am not sure you will ever get a straight answer about what happened with Guaymas police. Everything I see is that it is back to normal since the new mayor of Guaymas took office. I hope normal does not mean the normal amount of corruption, time will tell.

You stated that the mayor reports to the governor of Sonora. I do not think that is true. The municipalities have quite a bit of autonomy. Things like CEA are state agencies having no reporting to Guaymas government. You are not in Kansas anymore.

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 05:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The govenor has sway in providing state and federal monies to municipalities. She also stepped in recently to solve the impass that Pasa was having with the City of Guaymas as another example, takes charge during any presidential visit and as she is in charge of the larger state police, she can push the mayors Municipal police around too, unless federales or miltary come in to trump her.

Municipalities are definity at the bottom of the food chain, unless you count ejidos and private land owners.

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2019 09:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
maryt

Mana: 
Bullshipper, can you give an example of the governor being able to ¨push the mayors Municpal police around.¨ Also, how she solve the impass with Guaymas and PASA. I had not heard about that.

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I don't know anything about the PASA thing but you make a good point Bullshipper in that the State has more money and can spend it where they see fit. It pays to be on good terms with the gov. Legally the municipios have a lot of autonomy but in practice money trumps all.

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Pasa asked for a negotiation with the govenor after the lack of payment extended the stoppage, and the mayor started to contract dump trucks to pick the trash. Its my understanding she got them paid and cosigned the contract to settle the dust after tempers more than flaired.

On several occasions, the state cops, federales and or military have taken control of all operations at the municipal levels to check each other for drug use, and to run ballastic tests on police weapons to see if they ware used in shootings. Most recently, the state cops disarmed the municipal cops in Juarez, and it was just announced that all police forces will be under the command of the Mx military effective soon.

I am pretty sure that all the mayors still report to the govenor, and will look for a source to confirm this.

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 02:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
https://www.sonora.gob.mx/images/OrganigramaEsctructural_GobiernoSonora_Final.pdf

I don't see a direct control leading from the Mayors, and this surprises me. But every aspect of what the locals want to do does come under the control of the governors state secretaries including monies for their budget and projects including audits and oversight, overall security directives, education, court system, tax collection, hospitals, etc so it goes with the gist of the thread that suggests that nothing is set in stone or crystal clear in these parts for sure.

Posted: Wed Jan 9th, 2019 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
I think it would be VERY nieve to think She doesn't ( the Governor) has her hand in Everything down here! Bullshipper, You make a very good point. Guaymas is a GROWING and an ongoing hot spot.
Information is kept as low key as possible. Can't blame them I guess.
Sometimes I feel like they figure, " If we don't see or hear about it, it didn't happen...

Oh well, will just have to wait and see....:dude:

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2019 04:11 pm by dolphin007

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
Bullshpper:  just out of curiosity are you comfortable with the military overseeing all police departments?  

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
I am more fearfull of the police than anything else in Mx. I try to stay clear of them at every opportunity. I do feel that this is a change theoretically for the better as the generals are never forgiving of their underlings and I think they will play a cleaner game with the if the homocides go down along with the petty crimes and corruption.

Last edited on Thu Jan 10th, 2019 05:58 pm by Bullshipper

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 
Ditto Bullshipper!  Not that the issues will be any better. It seems that over the years that the military at least has a bit more control over the violence.  Hard when the most powerful Sinaloa Cartel leaders live ALL around us. SO be it, been this way long before ALL of us and will be here long after any of us!

Last edited on Mon Jan 14th, 2019 05:07 pm by dolphin007

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 06:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
SStewart

Mana: 
"the most powerful Sinaloa Cartel leaders live ALL around us." Interesting observation, where do these persons live?

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
dolphin007

Mana: 

Last edited on Tue Jan 15th, 2019 05:57 am by dolphin007

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 09:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Boy, there has been a major display of weaponry all day in San Carlos. Multiple naval military units cruising around with guys in back with the 50 cal machine guns at the ready. There is also multiple Federal police units cruising around. I have seen all of these on the boulevard (several times), out by Mirador and in the Ranchitos. They have been in town for at least four hours now. I have never seen the military in the Ranchitos in the 10 years I have lived here.

The Guaymas police have also cruised by my house in the Ranchitos THREE times today. We have seen them only once since they came out from hiding.

Just random policing or is something shaking?????

No choppers so far.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my wife said six Federal cops had surrounded the guy selling tortillas out of his green Volkswagon bug (the one with the public address system on the roof) and were questioning him. This was at the Circle K across from Coralito.

WTF is going on?

Last edited on Mon Jan 14th, 2019 09:41 pm by Hook

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Kidnappings in San Carlos this morning, causing a ‘red alert’ for the police.  Read El Imparcial articles on it.

Last edited on Mon Jan 14th, 2019 09:39 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Almost no details on the supposed kidnappings in El Imparcial. But this is clearly what a "red code" looks like.

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Here comes the chopper! Cruising low over town from the Ranchitos to the coast. 

Last edited on Mon Jan 14th, 2019 10:24 pm by Hook

Posted: Mon Jan 14th, 2019 10:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
SStewart

Mana: 
dolphin007, "your new hobby", I do not want to be your new anything. I asked a simple questions and got post #15, plus a 3 paragraph PM rant that makes post #15 appear tranquil. Advise, if one has been asked a question they can not answer, just say...I don't know.

Current time is 01:05 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Who is actuall in charge of the Guaymas Police? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems