San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
Pescador Paul

Mana: 
I will be making a road trip from my home in Carlsbad, CA, in North San Diego County to San Carlos in mid Jan. of next year. I will be bringing my kayak and fishing inshore.

Where should I start out? I hear that Pt. San Antonio will be a good area to try. What inshore species are likely to be available at that time? I will likely be casting plastics and crocodiles. Will deep jigging for yellowtail be worth trying? Should I use a light wire leader? I will also bring some frozen squid for bait fishing.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Hook

Mana: 
Definitely bring stuff for deep jigging for yellows! Knife jigs, butterfly jigs, anything that is that style of fast-sinking jigs. Pink/white, blue/white, yellow/green.

San Antonio is a great spot to try, given it's proximity to shore.

It wouldnt hurt to bring some light wire leaders if sierra are still around.

Plastics get chewed up pretty fast down here.

repsilon

Mana: 
Wire isn't needed, but fluorocarbon can help with the rocks. Mostly just yellowtail then. Yes, San Antonio. We've had some down by Hay tack the last few years outside Miramar, and the Seamounts are close from the beach club. Your best bet would be jigging, but a small planer board and Clark Spoon could work.

repsilon

Mana: 
The toros showed up today inside Honeymoon. Had to swim out to untangle the first one and then they blew up the entire bay and I got burned. Then went three for three off the paddleboard - all on poppers.

Pescador Paul

Mana: 
Thanks to all for the great information. I will take some light wire in case I run into some sierra, but normally fluorocarbon is better.

What inshore species can I expect to catch in mid January?

Paul

Hook

Mana: 
If my boat is ship shape in January, I might be willing to haul your boat out to the island and let you fish there for 2-4 hours or so, while we poke around the island.

How long is your kayak? My boat is 25 ft but I have a bridge, so it would have to fit in the sole, somehow. Maybe just a share of gas out and back? It's a diesel, so pretty efficient.

repsilon

Mana: 
Usually the Sierra and bonita will be gone by then. You will find triggerfish, snapers, cabrilla, croakers, etc.

Pescador Paul

Mana: 
Thank you for your very generous proposal. My kayak in a Cobra Fish and Dive, with a 36 inch beam and LOA of 12 ft 6 inches. Might be tough to fit in the cockpit.

Paul

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems