San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
A new scam?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2018 02:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RichD

Mana: 
I received an email greeting me as RichD.  This forum is the only place I use that.  It is a threat to expose some deep dark secrets to my wife.  I am not married.  Beware if you receive anything like this.  The sender wanted me to pay the $3000 bribe by bitcoin.  

The first part of the email....

Hi RichD I'm going to get right to the point. My name is Fae33 and I am aware the secret you're keeping from your wife as well as all others. Moreover, i have evidence of exactly what you are concealing. I won't get deeply into the specifics here in the event that your lady will find this letter, but you understand just what i am speaking about.You actually do not really know me i believe and also no one hired me to look right into it, Nor did i head out seeking to melt you. It happens to be just your terrible luck that I came around your adventures when working. I then spend some more time than I probably will need to have looking into your daily life. Seriously, I am all set to ignore facts concerning you personally and allow you to get on with your daily life. And also I'm going to give you couple of choices that may complete this very thing. a pair of possibilities are to possibly forget this email, or simply pay me $3000.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2018 03:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
It's called the Bitcoin blackmail scam and has been around for several months.  Do a google search for more information and actions you can take. Sorry this happened to you.

Bart

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2018 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RichD

Mana: 
I would be worried if I were trying to be a supreme court justice or something. As it is I would welcome the publicity. Might make me seem a little less dull. Hope nobody falls for this.

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2018 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Followed your suggestion Bart and found the following. The wording is exactly the same.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/08/how-avoid-bitcoin-blackmail-scam

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2018 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
GOIT

Mana: 
Even if I believed it and needed/wanted to pay to protect myself I would not have any idea how to pay with bitcoin!

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2018 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
aligato

Mana: 
Hilarious...string them along...drop some hints of illicit things you think they may know about....and tell them you are too old to figure out bitcoin...perhaps you could send cash via money order???

Last edited on Sat Sep 29th, 2018 12:18 am by aligato

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2018 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Just this week an admin got conned at my wife's office.  Wife is a VP there and the con got the admin and one of her peers.

It was pretty elaborate. They made it look like it was an email from the VP to the admin. Asking her to buy something. They created an email account that looked like it was the VP's.

After she did what the they asked, she walked over to the VP's office and inquired if everything was good. The VP goes, what are you talking about?

So they had to figure out an exec and the admin names.

Pretty good con.

Last edited on Sat Sep 29th, 2018 08:49 pm by JZ

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2018 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
That con too has been around for years....They keep thinking up different angles to the scams....love it when the IRS calls. (as we know they never do)

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2018 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
RichD, were you making your email address public in your profile on this board?

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2018 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
RichD

Mana: 
No

Current time is 08:26 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > A new scam? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems