San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
ice machine  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2018 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
Can anyone tell me if buying a small ice machine 110v is a good idea and cheaper than a 12 volt fridge.Hoping this would be a cheaper alternative to keeping things cold on my little boat and use my 2 100 watt panels ,1500 watt inverter and 2 new batteries.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2018 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
TucsonChad

Mana: 
I tried one of those little ice machines on my boat. It is not so much the power consumption as it is the air temp and density. First batch of ice melts before 2nd batch was ready. Tried it inside the boat cabin, outside, in the shade, etc. They only really work well in an air conditioned house.

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2018 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
thanks for the reply Chad.Guess a 12 v fridge is the way to go ?

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2018 05:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
TucsonChad

Mana: 
Probably your best bet for this area....

Posted: Tue Sep 25th, 2018 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
The ice that table top icemakers produce is not very long lasting ice. Really intended for adding to drinks, and that's it. And in the research I have done on them, they are notorious for having a short life expectancy. Didnt seem to matter what brand. Reviews on Amazon were uniformly bad.

Go with a reputable AC/DC capable fridge. Most last a long time. Some even have separate freezer sections. All are expensive. The ones with the former Danfoss (now Secol) compressors are quieter and draw slightly less than the Sawafuji/swing compressors.

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
thanks Hook.I tend to agree.I will look for an Engel when going through Quartsite.You never know what you,ll find there ?? So Hook , sounds like you were in my neck of the woods chasing the big springs ?? Never saw so many Americans coming to the island to fish.Did they close Oregon and Washington for salmon ???

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 01:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

If you ever need used or salvaged boat parts...... Good Stuff I have used them much in the past

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

Last edited on Wed Sep 26th, 2018 05:01 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 05:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hook

Mana: 
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca wrote: thanks Hook.I tend to agree.I will look for an Engel when going through Quartsite.You never know what you,ll find there ?? So Hook , sounds like you were in my neck of the woods chasing the big springs ?? Never saw so many Americans coming to the island to fish.Did they close Oregon and Washington for salmon ???

Oregon and Washington were only recently closed, as I understand it. But they may have had closed seasons during the summer, too. I read that the chinook and steelhead spawning returns were really low this year.

I seem to remember a news article about 1-2 weeks ago where the US and Canada agreed to limit salmon fishing fairly dramatically, in the coming years. Supposedly this was to include the commercials and the Indian tribes. This was for salmon that were designated as Columbia River drainage fish and Puget Sound fish, which apparently is a lot of salmon that go up BC to Alaska. All salmon species were included, I believe. It seemed like a big deal, from what I read. 

I found the article. Appears that the US and Canadian governments still need to approve this agreement, so it isnt law yet.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/environment/article218604075.html

I got my limits of springs and cohos, but it's really getting tough to catch halibut and lings with the new regs from the last two years. They had not opened the sockeye season when I was there. 

However, Canadians who were staying in camp with us (Wildwood RV Camp) said they couldnt believe how many halibut the commercials were offloading at that processing plant at Port Hardy. Little wonder a legal halibut is getting rare. But we dont fish any farther out than Pine Island or the Buckle Group, really. 

Seriously, the talk around camp among Americans and Canadians who have been going there for many years is that it's not worth it, if you cant supplement your salmon with rockfish, lings and halibut. 

I think we caught more springs this year on Coho Killers than on the trolled anchovies with the helmets and the tandem hook rigs.

Where are you at?

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
Im usually in Parksville but have been working in Nanaimo.Just retired this summer  so next year I plan on hagging around Tashis area, depending on the smoke from the big fires.Have asthma so cant handle smoke.If you want halibut you need to go to the west coast to the 7 mile drop.Thats were the commercial boys fish.I was one of them in another life  ha-ha

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

troll while on Sail???

Last edited on Fri Sep 28th, 2018 03:20 am by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
is that a quiz ?? 

Posted: Wed Sep 26th, 2018 10:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I am shopping for a 22' to 24' trailer sailer...

Last edited on Fri Sep 28th, 2018 03:19 am by Jimmy

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2018 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Steverhnm

Mana: 
I purchased one that trickles water into a square cube form and makes Gin-clear ice cubes.  This ice will last longer but is still not hard enough for a cooler.  Best for a nice cocktail.  The kind of icemaker that dips the fingers into the water making round ice with holes in them are not worth anything IMHO.  We make ice and freeze it in the freezer on the boat.  Great for sundowners - a must.

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2018 08:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Hook

Mana: 
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca wrote: thanks Hook.I tend to agree.I will look for an Engel when going through Quartsite.You never know what you,ll find there ?? So Hook , sounds like you were in my neck of the woods chasing the big springs ?? Never saw so many Americans coming to the island to fish.Did they close Oregon and Washington for salmon ???

Just a note, the Engels (older Norcolds are rebadged Engels) had the Sawafuji/swing compressor. Dont know about now. 

I have one in the 45 qt size. A Norcold. It is either a fridge or a freezer;  one compartment. It starts out quiet, but eventually becomes a bit noisy after being on for an hour. I use it as our beverage fridge in our truck camper and just turn it off at night. It tends to go up about six degrees overnight and makes it up in an hour, the following morning. I have a 140w solar panel on the camper, so it is nice to have solar helping it during the day and no draw at night.  But I also have a 6 cu/ft absorption fridge in there, too, on the propane setting. I use that fridge to make solid ice cubes for mixed drinks. The freezer accommodates two normal sized ice trays and we keep filling a gallon ziplock up there, too.

I have a friend with a newer Waeco and it is much quieter. His also has an automatic shutoff if the supply voltage goes below a settable temperature. That's nice.

But all the good brands are between 500 and 1200 US now. Maybe not in Quartzite.

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2018 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
didn't find anything in Quartzsite.Anyone in S.C. have a 12 volt fridge /freezer for sale ??? 

Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2018 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
I have a 12vdc / 110vac unit with insulated jacket and floor mount for installing in a vehicle.

No idea what size but works well either as freezer or as fridge - keeps beer cold in back of truck on expeditions . ( Think maybe around 22 qt )

Was approx $1100 new , original Engel with metal case .

Will take $300 for whole setup.

Pm for address

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2018 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
im @ marina seca in the dodge with camper parked out front.Stop in since I don't have a phone.If im working on the boat its SV Windseeker until Wednesday then in the water and over to dock g ??? slip 30.Very interested if its an Engle .

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2018 09:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
I will be @ the camper from 3 pm if you want to bring the cooler buy??

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2018 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Will come looking for you - in Red Jeep Wrangler :)

Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2018 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
barniclebobca@yahoo.ca

Mana: 
thanks Ian.That should keep the beer cold !

Current time is 12:40 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Sailing Forum > ice machine Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems