San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > what happened to the desalnasion plant

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
frankie

Mana: 
what is the latest on the desal plant that was under construction in emplame?

MARIGOT

Mana: 
There was an online news story about the time of one of Claudia’s trips to Guaymas last year, which said they would start construction on the decal plant in 2018.
No evidence of this happening, and no new news updates.
Discouraging.

I will see if I can find the old story to post a link or cut and past, but it is probably on this board.  A search might find it.

Here is a post from RichD in Jan 2018:

The desalination plant near Empalme is scheduled to start this summer.desalination-project/8915/" TARGET="_blank">https://www.[highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]desalination.biz/news/0/FCC-Aqualia-bid-wins-Sonora-Mexico-[highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]desalination-project/8915/The project calls for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of a desalination plant in order to supply potable water to Sonora state. It consists of extracting water from five beach wells, filtering it and sending to the cities of Guaymas and Empalme through an aqueduct. The plant is set to be built under a public-private partnership (PPP).

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2018 03:42 am by MARIGOT

MARIGOT

Mana: 
Found this information on BN America’s site, but needs to be deciphered....
Access to info is limited for non-subscribers

Empalme-Guaymas desalination plant

PROJECT STAGES
Early Works
CURRENT STAGE:
Awaiting construction decision
Start: 12/2017
Completion: 08/2018
In Construction
Under Construction
Start: 08/2018
Completion: 12/2019
Operation
Closure
Start:12/2039
PROJECT DETAILS
Description

The project calls for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of a desalination plant in order to supply potable water to Sonora state. It consists of extracting water from five beach wells, filtering it and sending to the cities of Guaymas and Empalme through an aqueduct. The plant is set to be built under a public-private partnership (PPP).

May/28/2018  Works finally set to start on Mexican desal plant
Mar/02/2018  Water and Waste: The Week in 10 stories
Feb/26/2018  Mexico's Sonora state amends decree for desal plant

Full Name
Empalme-Guaymas desalination plant
Desalination plant, Potable water system, Water pipelines
Development Phase
Awaiting construction decision
Project Status
Active
Investment
US$ 39mn
Completion Date
Lifespan
The plant will be located in El Cochórit, in the city of Empalme, in Sonora state.

* The map coordinates represent the approximate latitude and longitude, and not the exact location of the project.

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2018 04:14 am by MARIGOT

MARIGOT

Mana: 
And you have to be a subscriber to globalwaterintel.com to get info from them on tracking desalination plant projects.

frankie

Mana: 
marigot, i appreciate your effort!! 2018 is 1/2 over, guaymas/san carlos is in a water crisis, we should be hearing some assurance from the authorities of our water concerns!!
it's an election year and i hear no promises?

hans

Mana: 
it's an election year and i hear no promises.
Those Promises are anyway mostly only BlaBlaBla..........

RichD

Mana: 
I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but actual construction was not scheduled to begin until August 2018. Water from this plant is destined to go into the general Guaymas water supply. This will not help San Carlos even if it gets completed.

RichD

Mana: 
Evidently plans to proceed with construction were approved in May.  Construction to begin in August.  I don't think there will be anything to see out there until construction actually starts.  The image is a year old and shows the CFE plant in Cochorit.  The desal plant will be on one side or the other of this plant, not sure.  Access to the CFE site is not open to the public (I know, I tried)  You can no longer ride on the beach in front of the site.  Plans call for several shallow wells close to the beach.  This is to take advantage of the filtering effect of the sand.  But make no mistake, it is seawater.  I hope it is completed and produces water but the plans call for a pipeline from this site to the existing Guaymas pipeline that comes from further South (basically the Yaqui river delta).  The output of the plant will but used to supplement Empalme/Guaymas water and will not be enough to supply any other localities.  I understand that some folks think this will cure San Carlos water issues.  It wont.  

Attachment: Capture.JPG (Downloaded 96 times)

frankie

Mana: 
rich, great report, thank you!!!

RichD

Mana: 
While I am in a ranting mood... All the trivia about the San Carlos water system history and where water might be being diverted to Norte or agriculture are not relevant IMO. CEA is a state agency, not the San Carlos municipal system. They are under the umbrella of the national system CONAGUA. They decide who gets the water. If they give water from 'our' wells to Guaymas Norte or orange groves in Santa Clara it is their right to do so. There has been a battle for years between agriculture, industry and municipal use that will continue. It is CEA's responsibility to make sure San Carlos has enough water. I do not have a lot of confidence in their ability but it is what it is. I hope they get their act together.

mutineer

Mana: 
Coordinates: 27°57′43″N 111°02′14″W / 27.9619°N 111.0372°W / 27.9619 ; -111.0372 San Carlos is a beachfront subdivision within the port city of Guaymas, in the northern state of Sonora in Mexico.

Well, are we not part of Guaymas?

RichD

Mana: 
Yes but the existing water lines to SC do not come from Guaymas. New ones would have to be built. Possible but not in the budget for this private partner funded desal project.

The private partnership proposal seems to allow for them to sell some of the excellent quality water from the desal plant for drinking water or possibly for breweries or soft drink plants.  That was a little vague in the deal.  

Last edited on Sun Jun 17th, 2018 11:16 pm by RichD

frankie

Mana: 
rich, where and how are you receiving your information? all your reporting sounds logical to me!

MARIGOT

Mana: 
Oh, great!  If industry is allowed to buy the water, the residents of Empalme and Guaymas will never get relief from the water rationing in effect there.

Why aren’t the breweries and other industries required to build their own desalination plants?  The people always come last when there is money to be made.

Soooo irritating!!! 😡

Last edited on Mon Jun 18th, 2018 12:40 am by MARIGOT

frankie

Mana: 
mutineer , san carlos's correct name is san carlos nuevo guaymas. we are part of the municipality of guaymas!

mutineer

Mana: 
I Know:D

RichD

Mana: 
Bottling plants and breweries and drinking water places are already using Guaymas water. This would just be better quality. And those products are used by people. Agriculture takes the bulk of the water in Sonora. The farmers are still pissed that they tapped the water from Novillo to send to Hermosillo.

My information is from memory (scary). The initial proposal was made public and I read it but my Spanish is not perfect. I cannot find it anymore. The sites that have the information are subscription now and I am cheap. I hope the project is a success as I see no other alternative but it is expensive and uses a lot of electricity. Seems like it will go forward but the completion date is scheduled for Dec 2019 and things rarely get done on time. We will see.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I wouldn't be at all surprised that this was used as a pre election promise, and be cancelled after the election in July, or at least put on hold for lack of funds as the administrations change hands.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
At least 80% of the water used in Agricultural goes back into the ground for resue by recharging the aquifier. I do not think that Guaymas and empalme are collecting a high percentage of domestic grey water to sewage treatment, and this could be done at a fraction of the direct cost of what it costs to purify seawater.

Adding these sewage collection lines would also open ditches that could replace clean water lines that are leaking so badly delivering a much greater ampnt of water to the city instead of being lost to the sea of cortez

RichD

Mana: 
Valid points but it would be up to CEA to implement these plans and they can't seem to find the money to buy spare pumps or drill new wells. A new well for San Carlos has been approved but I do not know if they are drilling it. That would be a short term solution as the aquifer out there is being depleted already. Tough situation. Desal plants seem to be the solution because the raw ingredient (seawater) is free. Unfortunately reverse osmosis is still the state of the art and it uses enormous amounts of electricity. There is also the problem of what to do with the brine. Returning it to the sea causes dead zones. At the end of the day it is CEA who needs to solve the problem.

kiteboarder

Mana: 
Lots of information here: http://www.desaladora.sonora.gob.mx/

Check the links across the top, especially the one that goes to http://www.desaladora.sonora.gob.mx/transparencia.html

frankie

Mana: 
well that is scary!!! since they can't even fix the everyday leaks!

i personally do not believe the current administration of CEA has the capabilities to administrate the new desal plant!

they have not shown responsible leadership with the water issues in the past years guaymas or san carlos!

Last edited on Mon Jun 18th, 2018 04:21 pm by frankie

RichD

Mana: 
Thanks Don, that is the information I had tried to read but lost the link. There is a lot of stuff to wade through.

hans

Mana: 
I think with the Desalination Plant , the Cost of Water will rise. The Population of Guaymas and Empalme will not pay for water that will be more expensive, and the Maintenance wil not be done. It looks like the whole Thing will go down the Drain.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems