San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Experience at Km 21 - May 23, 2018.

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Experience at Km 21 - May 23, 2018.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 24th, 2018 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Angel

Mana: 
We came down from the USA yesterday and a relative came with us so we stopped at KM 21 to request a FMM (aka Tourist permit) for him. We are Mexican and we went with him to request the permit to be of any assistance if needed. For our surprise the immigration officer requested, almost demanded, to see our Mexican passports. Our National Voter ID did not suffice. When we provided our passport, he ran them through the machine, and stamped them. We were not carrying them in our persons so we went to the car and got them.

So you if you are also Mexican or Temporary/Permanent resident who usually doesn't stop at KM 21, and are tagging along with your friends/family at KM 21, be prepared in case you get the same officer. Or maybe it is a "new thing"? Being Mexican, obviously we never stop there, so we did not know.

Last edited on Thu May 24th, 2018 03:24 pm by Angel

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu May 24th, 2018 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
The luck of the draw on any given day. They are still not the butts the newbies can be on the gringolandia side. Job justification. If they put some of those wannabees into a designated job, we wouldn't need so many hard working border patrol out there. 99.99% good but those few give us all a bad name!! IMHO of course. Ynot

Posted: Thu May 24th, 2018 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
danelo

Mana: 
I think whom ever worked there must have been confused. I just do not see the reason for what they did.

Posted: Sun May 27th, 2018 07:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
There is no reason. If you are a mexican citizen at the 21, a voters ID should suffice. The guy might have been on a control spree. And why they would stamp a mexican passport seems really strange.

Posted: Sun May 27th, 2018 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
Every time I go north I have to show my US passport and they scan it and register every crossing that I make. Why would it be surprising if Mexico wanted something similar?

Posted: Mon May 28th, 2018 12:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Timothy B.

Mana: 
I did not realize that a Mexican in Mexico even needed a passport. I know they get one for a one year period so that they can apply for a US visa/border crossing card but most people don't have them.
I too would think that a voter ID would be all that is required as long as you are not on the border.
Seems strange to me or maybe I am not understanding the situation.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 04:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
My friends got checked for their Visas after the 21km and had to go back to get them.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 09:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
zancudo

Mana: 
Where and why were they stopped Brian?  We had always stopped for permits in the past but have gotten a bit lazy lately.  Maybe will stop on the way down tomorrow.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
They are required to scan and make a note of Foreigners going north and south, but to request a mexican at an immigration office that mainly deals with foreigners seems a bit strange. Also, a passport is NOT required of any mexican, that is in mexico. Neither is a voters credencial. But then again, many of the people working at the 21, have different ideas of what the job requirements are. Depends on the day, the person, and their mood. There is little consistency.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jxr85

Mana: 
Just wanted to pop in and share a story, I mainly just lurk here before I visit SC in the summers to see how things are going... I live in the state of Chihuahua and a few years ago I owned a "fronterizo", meaning that I need a permit to travel south. We took off from El Paso to Nogales with the plan of getting my "permiso" at Banjercito in Nogales, I took all the paperwork that I usually need to get my permit but the fine gentleman that night (10 PM) was having none of it, he needed another proof of residency which I didn't had, so I had to wait until 9:00 AM for HSBC to open and request a copy of my bank statement, when I went the next morning the teller didn't even ask for the second copy and just gave me my permit. I lost 12+ hours of travel + overnight expenses because of them. Now I own a "nacional" so I don't have to deal with them again.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 06:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
tucsonsean

Mana: 
Anyone come down in the last few days to verify whether or not Mexican Immigration still has the checkpoint up and running in the area of Cibuta??

Last edited on Tue May 29th, 2018 06:23 pm by tucsonsean

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
390pony

Mana: 
They did not the day before the original poster came down.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 07:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
For such an easy process, the benefit far exceeds the downside of not having correct paperwork. What is wrong with you people? Do it right.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 07:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
tucsonsean

Mana: 
Agreed, but most people I speak with don't even realize they need to stop and get a Mexican tourist visa. There is some confusion between Sonora free zone for vehicles and for tourist visas.

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2018 10:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Caroline

Mana: 
I drove here yesterday and there were no check points along Rt 15 at all.  Seemed strange since there always seems to be at least one between Nogales and  San Carlos.  

Current time is 05:18 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Experience at Km 21 - May 23, 2018. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems