San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Citizenship/Naturalization New Exam and Requirements

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Citizenship/Naturalization New Exam and Requirements  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Folks,

I will be taking the exam for Mexican Citizenship in two weeks. Just gathering the necessary paperwork has been an arduous process. A minor error in the spelling of my name delayed everything by about a year.

About a month ago, I started preparing with the Study Guide containing the 100 questions that has been used since 2008. During the exam, 10 of the 100 questions were chosen... the candidate had to answer 8 of them correctly.

However, I have learned recently that it has all changed. There is no Study Guide.  Instead there is one hyper-link: http://sre.gob.mx/component/phocadownload/category/16-nacionalidad-y-naturalizacion?download=159:guia-de-estudios that leads you to a PDF document with 4 sections that leads to about 13 other documents / webpages. Some of them have 337 pages, other 329, others 189, one is 54.. They cover everything from History, Gastronomy, Culture, Indigenous Peoples/Anthropology, Civil Topics. All in all, it's about 1200 pages of reading or more. 

There are no sample exams presented.  There is no collection of: "we will ask some of these 100 questions". Some have reported the new format is akin to playing trivial pursuit, rather than taking an exam that is a measure of one's understanding of key historical, cultural, civil topics.

I'm told the language exam is two parts... Spoken and Written. It is an exam, rather than a conversation. They still require you to know at least the chorus of the national hymn and a few verses.

So.. I'll report what I find in the coming two weeks. I've read that very few foreigners are passing this new exam. I really have no idea what to expect...

Last edited on Sat May 19th, 2018 01:55 am by odwyerpw

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Well...good luck.  Thanks for posting the info about changes.

A couple of years ago, one of my friends went through the process and he was all nervous about the requirement at that time to give a speech in Spanish, only to have it waived on the exam day.

So hope they don’t have it all together in 2 weeks to give you the more arduous test.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 03:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
I'm not concerned about the spanish at all.... Those two parts are fine.

It's the written history/cultural/civial/anthopology exam with 10 random trivial pursuit like questions pulled from 2000 pages of source material that has me nervous. How do you even prepare for that?

I started the process so long ago.... Had someone not made a mistake on my documentation... I would have taken the exam under the old format in 2017... Oh well....

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 12:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
I will be surprised if you can pass the test. I have read sample exams. Imposible. Best option is to wait until you are over 60 years of age and won't have to take the exam. I will be applying next week.
https://yucalandia.com/2018/01/28/jan-2018-update-to-mexicos-naturalized-citizenship-exam-requirements/

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
kiteboarder wrote: I will be surprised if you can pass the test. I have read sample exams. Imposible...
https://yucalandia.com/2018/01/28/jan-2018-update-to-mexicos-naturalized-citizenship-exam-requirements/

I read the same information. I am going to take my chances, as slim as they may be. It was soooo much work and expense just to gather all of the documentation necessary to apply, what's a few hours lost taking and failing an exam if that's what happens... 

60 is a long time for me to wait... I'm still youngish...

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I,m interested in your input. I have my permanent residency and am happy with that along with a USA passport. What advantage is there in getting a Mexican passport??

Last edited on Sat May 19th, 2018 09:33 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2018 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
SharkBite

Mana: 
Did you have to physically go to Mexico City for your background check?  Or how did you obtain that?

Posted: Mon May 21st, 2018 04:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
You do not have to go to Mexico. Just get someone to handle everything for you. The fee is worth it. When I got my citizenship, , it was in Hermosillo. Exam was mostly history of Mexico, and holidays. Very big on the battles. Not that difficult, because I had children in the school system, and each holiday they got off, so was easy to remember the special dates. It has changed a lot since then (so many years ago).

Posted: Mon May 21st, 2018 03:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
LTR,
The exam is completely different now. I've seen at least 38 of the new questions. Quite different focus than the previous batch of 100 that was kicking around for a decade. Of course, I've never seen the exam you would have taken many years ago. Like Don mentioned, I'll be quite amazed if I pass the test on the first go.

Bill,
I suspect that I am probably 25-27 years younger than you, with at least another 17 years of work ahead of me before collecting social security, pension and using my 401K. Future income opportunities might involve import/export, might involve a few real estate transactions within the 50km zone without the hassle of a trust, who knows. I'd like to have freedom to pursue anything and not fret over future law changes for foreigners.

SharkBite,
I'm having someone in D.F. (I know it's not called that now, just Mexico City) retrieve the Constancia de Antecedentes, Nivel Federal, for me. I retrieved the Local on my own.

Posted: Mon May 21st, 2018 04:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
It's actually CDMX

Posted: Wed May 23rd, 2018 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
nice guy wrote: It's actually CDMX

CDMX, as in Ciudad Mexico.... or Mexico City in English.... but I digress.

I came across something a bit vague that was initially explained to me incorrectly.

One requirement is to obtain something called the Constancia de No Antecedentes, Nivel Local y Nivel Federal.

We mentioned the Federal Background Check... Pay someone in Cd Mexico to do it for you.

The misunderstanding was the Local background check.  Local does not mean the Policia Municipal de Guaymas.  That's what I was told and that is the report that I requested and paid for. It does exist, but it's not what El Secretario de los Asuntos Exteriores wants to see.

Local refers to State Police, Nivél Estado. However, I need to go the local delegation of the PGR (Procuraduría General de la República.. yeah a federal level governmental body) in Guaymas (Ave 6, entre calles 19 y 20) to request this report from the State Police. 

Key is to google 'Carta de No Antecedentes Penales Estatales' to get the correct information.

Cool beans. One more trip. Who knew?

The other thing I learned... The day you apply... The day that you submit all of this documentation is the day you take the exam... The exam isn't scheduled... It is given to you the moment you turn in the paperwork and pay. Yikes...

Some of the reports are very time sensitive... For instance, For how long is a local or federal background check valid? 1 week? 2 weeks? 2 months? 3 months?  I believe it's 3 months. Some of my earliest documents were requested mid march and took 6 weeks to arrive, delaying my ability to request other documents. How much time can pass before taking the exam before those documents are invalid?

I given some thought, and I might like a bit more time to prepare for the exam, therefore delaying my final document submission by a few weeks. again, it will depend on how time sensitive these documents are.... I guess if it's 3 months... and it all starts 12 of March... well I have until Monday, 11 of June, to cram for that exam. Fun stuff.

Again, I'll report back on those details as well.

Last edited on Wed May 23rd, 2018 07:06 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Fri May 25th, 2018 05:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
happy camper

Mana: 
Thanks for sharing this with us odwyerpw. I am very interested in this since i will be next ..
Mine will be easier since i am older then you .

Posted: Sat May 26th, 2018 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
odwyerpw, wrong place - I went there. Probably I read the same thing as you did. You need to go to the Ministerio Publico on 14th or 15th (don't remember) one block right off of Serdan. Upstairs. Don't remember the exact requirements but take copies of passport, tarjeta de residente,and maybe Birth cert just in case. Passport photos as well. Handiwipes are helpful - they will take your fingerprints. Oh, and you have to pay first - at the government Hacienda office by the Banamex near Ley. Make a copy of that receipt. $129 pesos. Good luck. I am still waiting for my certificado de legal estancia from migración.

Oh, by the way, I am pretty sure that both of the constancias de no antecedentes are valid for 90 days but the certificate from migración is only good for 6 weeks. I think. 

Also, did you find a sample letter for listing your departures and arrivals to and from Mexico? The first time I went through this they didn't like how I did it and they did it for me at SRE, Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores,  and I didn't get a copy.

Last edited on Sun May 27th, 2018 12:26 am by kiteboarder

Posted: Wed May 30th, 2018 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
yup. Did not read your post until today. I went yesterday... wrong place.. but they directed me. 15th Ave about 1/2 a block back from Serdan. once I found the back alley, dark stairs and learned the secret knock they let me in. just kidding..  hilarious place though. I've been there before, about 6 years ago.. don't remember why but couldn't shake the déja vú. 

Foto Infantil, Tarjeta de Residencia Permanente and proof of payment (along with a copy) from the Agencia Fiscal (doubles as the DMV) across from Burger King... $129mxn. Easier and cheaper than the local municipal background check I mistakenly obtained before. No handiwipes … wish I had seen this posts... dirty fingers until I went to a restaurant to eat and washed my hands first ( a good custom that I've picked up here in Mexico)..

Last week, I sent scanned previews of all my documents to someone at SRE in Hillo. 12 documents in 6 emails (carta 1 de 6, carta 2 de 6, etc...). they made a few suggestions (as in you got the wrong local background check), but didn't comment on the salidas/entradas letter. so I guess it's ok? If they give me a sample I will be sure to save it for folks who might require it in the future.

They did not answer the question about the maximum amount of time I can wait to take the exam based on the dates that appear on my documents. The Police Report is the LAST THING YOU DO... after you have everything else in hand and it appears to have a longer life.... Where as the FIRST THING YOU DO.. appears to have the shortest life. I will ask again about the timing.

So far everyone I've encountered has been polite. Thumbs up for Guaymas public servants this go around....

Last edited on Wed May 30th, 2018 01:55 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 06:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
On Friday, I received my Constancia de no antecedentes nivel federal from Ciudad Mexico. So, now I have everything in hand.

Repeated my question to Hermosillo... How much time do I have to take the exam. No response.

Pushed again today... how much time do I have? The answer? Get here tomorrow with everything in hand, prepared to satisfy all requirements, or it may be impossible to receive the citizenship. Quite surprised by that sense of urgency on their part, but those were the words... typed in all caps and bold.

Well, I'm in Alamos, so I guess I start the 5+ hour drive up to Hermosillo to turn everything in, pay and take the exam tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Good luck...hope all goes well.  Safe travels.

Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2018 12:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Good luck!

Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 03:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
happy camper

Mana: 
Good luck to you and looking forward to hear about the needed requirements ..

Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
OK. So how did it go?

So Hermosillo forwarded my application on to Mexico City because I met all of the requirements... including passing the exam. Wow. So now, I'm waiting 3 to 6 months for Mexico City to review the application and accept the recommendation from the Hermosillo Branch to grant me citizenship and make everything official.

The role of the local delegate of SRE (Secretaria de Relationes Exteriores) is to approve applicants and forward things on to Ciudad Mexico for final processing. Although Guaymas has a branch... they don't do naturalization... you have to go to Hermosillo for that.

Regarding the Exam... The questions were not represented in the Previous Exam's battery of 100 questions, nor the 38 for the New Exams that I'd seen in the last few weeks on the web. These questions were tough!  Some were straight forward, while others demanded familiarity with the myths, legends, stories of indigenous tribes throughout Mexico. 

So how does one pass?
1. Be the world's absolute best guesser!
2. Hope the tests are graded on a very generous curve.
3. Hope the results are ignored and just get credit for trying or showing up.

Jaja. But seriously, after 9 months of preparing paperwork, spending money and traveling extensively to obtain things, I'm glad my efforts didn't get harpooned by a short written exam.

Regarding the Language Portions.  Part I, a story with questions, done in the form of a conversation. Easy. Part II, select 1 picture from a group of 15 to 20 and describe what was occurring using 3 complete sentences. Easy. I'm sure I misspelled something, conjugated something incorrectly or made an elementary gender error, but I don't think they were looking for perfection.

I'm quite overjoyed... and exhausted.... Alamos to Hermosillo with all of the construction is really a 6 1/2 hour trip one way. I worked all day Monday (starting at 4:30am to match EST of 7:30am) and then made the trip.  Today, I attended to the SRE visit (paperwork and exam) and then made the return trip to Alamos. Well, of course I did a little eating and shopping in Hermosillo (purchased a couple of nice Angel Fish to add interest to the little fish tank I have filled with minnows from a creek near San Bernardo.. JAJA).

Tomorrow, I will make a post regarding a few lessons learned. I had some missteps... wasted allot of time (as recently as today!)... however, I also have learned a thing or two after 12 years in Mexico and did a few things right! I'll elaborate tomorrow. For now... I'm going to bed by 9 pm.

Last edited on Wed Jun 6th, 2018 04:31 am by odwyerpw

Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
Felicidades !!!!

Current time is 10:31 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Citizenship/Naturalization New Exam and Requirements Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems