San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
San Carlos Summer Weather (Heat)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Axe

Mana: 

Hey all,

We are seriously considering settling in the San Carlos area as Canadian Expats.  However, we have heard many things about the unbearable heat in the Summer.

How hot is it really?  Do you leave for a few months in the Summer?  If so, where do you go?

Any incite on this would be greatly appreciated.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
I love the summers here.  San Carlos has nice sea breezes to moderate the temperatures.  In the hottest months, my thermometers at my house show high 90s, I have never seen it over 100.  And I do not leave in the summer, I am here year round.

The people from dry states in the USA complain about humidity, but the humidity here during the summer is NOTHING in comparison to 100% humidity in the USA Midwest summers.

We have lovely lightning shows at night starting in July and lots of young, happy National vacationers all summer to replace complaining snowbirds.  Very refreshing!

Visit San Carlos during July, August or September and see for yourself how you like it.  Everything is relative, each person has different tolerances for different weather aspects.

Talking to people who live here through the summer is more valuable than those who don’t stay.  One house guest, who swore they would NEVER come to San Carlos in August, was persuaded to stay a couple of weeks during August a few years ago.  They enjoyed the morning breeze, sitting on the patio, and remarking how pleasant it was outside!

Let your own experience make your decision, not someone else’s perception or fear of heat.

Last edited on Mon May 14th, 2018 02:53 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 03:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
As long as you don't do any outdoor physical activities from 11-4. I'm from Tucson and the heat in San Carlos is unbearable during the summer. If you just want to relax indoors during the heat of the day you'll be fine.

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Axe,  For many of us Summer can be one of the best times of year - quieter and a whole different town.

The trick is to enjoy cooler mornings - be aware physical activity best done early , then enjoy the shade and breeze , or be sure to have good a/c and run them either around 10-15 below outside temp or on dewater . ( We usually run a/c between 80-85f so not freezing and not huge difference with outside - over the years we go up a degree or two to where we are now )

Yes it will be humid , but compared to say Houston Texas - its a walk in the park !

Live here year round , from now to November some of the best times.

When Hermosillo is 115 , we may hit 95 - but with sea breeze .

The main issue ( other than you will sweat ! ) is acclimatization - we found each year summer slightly easier but "winter" feels like getting colder - this is just a perception , but our bodies appear to adjust to combination of sea level and heat !!

We also travel odd years in August /September due to family times off work - so recent years we have been away for a bit, if you want to dry off Tucson area,  or go up to Yecora at 6000 feet approx or go wild and spend off season time in Ajijic / Chapala area as some other SC folks do.

Good luck.

:)

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
cosmo topper

Mana: 
you also might want to consider the water issues in san carlos as that is a constant battle with the water company to get enough water to sustain a household  

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Axe

Mana: 

Thanks for the 'Heads-Up'. 

However, in the interest of full disclosure, we will be full time liveaboards, living on a 44 foot motor yacht.  It has a water maker on board, as well as A/C with Solar, Wind & Diesel Genset for power.  So, we're thinking the water issue if any should not affect us too much.

But, I sweat just thinking about heat, and hence the original question.  I guess basically staying inside for the majority of mid-day is the way to go.

The temps I've seen in Hermosillo really scared us though.

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
EZ MONY

Mana: 
But---it's a dry heat

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 05:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
In San Carlos it's a wet heat. Even before the Summer rains the humidity is at least 50% because you are on the water. In Tucson it's a dry heat below 10% humidity before the Summer rains. My guess, being from the cold country you will enjoy the Summer mornings in San Carlos but be miserable the rest of your day sitting inside your air conditioned boat. The question is whether or not you can adapt to the change.

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
cosmo topper

Mana: 
its not a dry heat, that's the problem. how hot ? last summer i saw a dog chasing a cat, and they were both walking !!!

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Many times I have seen 90F + 90% Humidity = 125 heat index during the Monsoon Season from July Through October . Some years there are Tropical Storms, some that are Damaging. You will want to watch the weather and if necessary seek a safe harbor.

The locals live with the Heat because they have to, they acclimate as the heat sets in but most have an A/C in a sleeping room where the whole family sleeps.

Most of the Gringos who have the Means Flee the area by June and don't return until after November.

Such is Paradise.

Last edited on Mon May 14th, 2018 06:22 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
Your experience living on the water will be different (less comfortable) than those of us full timers who live in houses with air conditioning.  

IMO, Ian gave the best advice for handling the summer days.  You will also find your own ways of coping by planning your trips to air conditioned restaurants and shopping in air conditioned stores to break up the heat during the day.  
There is also the option of spending a few hours in the Guaymas Cinemex for a movie on a hot day.
For some people, being in the heat is very exhausting.  Just stay hydrated and be lazy during the afternoons.  Being at the beach with a nice breeze is also comfortable.

Definitely visit during the summer to check out your tolerance for our climate before moving here.

Last edited on Mon May 14th, 2018 06:27 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I suggest you take a look at Ensenada. The Pacific coast on the water will be very nice during the Summer. 

Last edited on Mon May 14th, 2018 07:32 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2018 09:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Obviously there are a variety of opinions. I lived here full time for 6 years. For me it was miserable. It is hot at dawn, there is no pleasant time of day in August and September. Heat index above 120 for weeks on end. You mentioned that you don't like heat. I don't think you would enjoy the summers here. Not sure what your options are for where to be on your boat. Even a 44 foot yacht gets very small if you have to be inside all day.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
maryt

Mana: 
Please try it and make your own decision. We stay down here until June and I am ready to get out but I am from the northwest. Many of my friends that live here full time also depart during the worst months. Even my friends who were born here say it is terrible.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 02:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
We came here in 2005 on a 50 ft sailboat, built in Seattle - it was well insulated. Yes, we had solar and wind and a NL diesel genset, full sunshades, and a diesel heater !! Not enough. 1st yr in the bay with no AC. Yikes. We lived in the old Marina Cantina for AC and Internet. 2nd yr we installed a marine AC and went into Marina Real. Acceptable. Then we built a house with 4 mini-split ACs. You will survive - and wonder why you made those decisions.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 02:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you are anchored on a ball you will get more of a breeze that if you live in a group of houses some distance from the water. But, even with a breeze and a cool drink in hand, you will be hot from mid June to Nov. If I had a boat I would summer on the Pacific side of the Baja Pennensula where the temps are greatly reduced in the summers and winter in San Carlos. I think Ensenada and San Diego cannot be beat in the summers, which will find you wearing a hoody untill 10 most mornings, and after 5 pm in the afternoons.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 03:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
VisitorSanCarlos
Banned

Mana: 
anchor in martini cove spend your days on the boat or in the water use a dinghy to ferry in and get supplies and dinners out.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Spending the summer in San Diego or Ensenada would be comfortable but it is a long bash to get there from here. Also a dangerous trip in hurricane season. Typically your insurance would not be valid traveling in hurricane season.
Add the price of fuel to get up and back and it seems to make more sense to secure the boat and fly somewhere for the worst months. I think August and September are the worst. July and October are tolerable on the water.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 08:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

Hurricane season here; June into November.

Spend those months on the Pacific side and come to Sea of Cortez the rest of the time.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
RichD wrote: Spending the summer in San Diego or Ensenada would be comfortable but it is a long bash to get there from here. Also a dangerous trip in hurricane season. Typically your insurance would not be valid traveling in hurricane season.
Add the price of fuel to get up and back and it seems to make more sense to secure the boat and fly somewhere for the worst months. I think August and September are the worst. July and October are tolerable on the water.

Hurricanes in Late may when it just starts to get hot? I'd rather be in Ensenda during hurricane season than SC too.
Going north with a south wind is an easy sail with a following wind and following sea, then coming back south with a NW wind presents the same conditions.
Sail boats don't use that much fuel anyways do they, and whats the point of living on a boat that never moves? 

Current time is 04:41 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > San Carlos Summer Weather (Heat) Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems