San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz  
AuthorPost
gringogirl

Mana: 
so I've booked my flights for my annual visit to San Carlos thinking I would be able to take the bus from Hermosillo if need be. I land @ 11:39pm. I think the last bus runs at 11:00pm.
Would taking a taxi or a car service be safe that late at night from Hermosillo to San Carlos?

Johnny D

Mana: 
No, do not come that late. Many cars do not have tail lights and maybe one dim head light. Imagine driving 70 mph and come up on a car or truck doing 30 mph with no lights. That happens all the time. PLus there is all the construction til Santa Anna.
There are several hotels near the airport that have a shuttle to pick you up. The hotel will even help you with transportation to SC.

gringogirl

Mana: 
Thanks so much! I think I'll make things easy on myself and just grab a hotel. Suggestions on a decent hotel close to the airport?

Johnny D

Mana: 
There is a Holiday Inn that is close and the price is good.

Ian948

Mana: 
Holiday Inn Express - about 2 miles from the airport - safe and ideal , use it every time we transit Hermosillo airport.

Taxi from airpot there and next day dal with reception and they will help sort out transport to SC - taxi's run about 15-1700p to SC.

:)

JZ

Mana: 
It's safe. Have driven Hermosillo to SC a hundred times at night. This is a 4 lane road with a fence.  1.5hr drive.  Easy.

It's not like driving a 2 lane road in Baja with no shoulder where animals can be in the middle of the road at anytime.

It's 1500 pesos for the taxi. Forget the bus, that's more dangerous than driving at night.

Last edited on Sat May 12th, 2018 07:06 pm by JZ

ballenamar

Mana: 
JZ: Telling someone, particularly an infrequent visitor to the area, that it is perfectly safe to drive at night between SC and HMO is bordering on the irresponsible. In truth, there are heavily trafficked 2 lane stretches that are still part of the construction. People take big chances trying to pass slow trucks on these two lane segments despite the no passing signs. Then, add the drunks who drive back and forth after dark and the black cattle that are effectively invisible at night. There is a significant list of SC people who have been killed or injured on this stretch over the years.

Last edited on Sun May 13th, 2018 02:41 am by ballenamar

nice guy

Mana: 
The original post did say she was on her "annual" visit to SC. One point is that there is a lot less traffic on the road at 2 am.

JZ

Mana: 
She is going to take a taxi bud.  Not driving herself.  They don't drive too fast.  Have you ever taken one?  I've ridden in tons flying in from LA over the last 15+ years.  Can't begin to count the number of trips driving from SC to LA.

Overall the route is sketchy HMO to SC.  But marginally worse at night.

Just because you are hyper risk adverse don't push it on others.  Grow a pair.  You can get hurt a million different ways.

Last edited on Sun May 13th, 2018 03:24 am by JZ

letsridebikes

Mana: 
Buses run around the clock, practically every hour between HMO and Guaymas. Once in Guaymas you can taxi or Uber.

maryt

Mana: 
There are buses after 11:00 pm.

https://viaje.reservamos.mx/search/hermosillo/guaymas/15-May-18/p/A1/departures/tufesa-primera?locale=es-MX

You have to decide for yourself. Many of us choose to not drive at night on 15 because of the construction and drivers who pass unsafely. If you read any of the local newspapers you know there have been a significant number of fatalities the past year or two. However, we have taken a cab back to San Carlos at night (not as late as your trip will be but dark) from the airport but with a driver we trust. If I was going to go at night I would opt for the cab rather than Tufesa. He will take you right to your house in San Carlos and you don´t have to deal with getting a taxi to Tufesa and from Tufesa in San Carlos. I can give you the number of the taxi driver we use if you wish. Other people have drivers they like also. It costs around 1400 mx.

I don´t consider it hyper risk adverse to take into consideration drunk drivers (quite a number) and road construction when deciding whether to travel at night. While there are many ways one can die, traffic accidents remain one of the highest.

Bullshipper

Mana: 
I would not feel safe to be in or around the HMO or Guaymas bus stations at 1 in the morning if I was elderly or a lady.

Taxi is the way to go.

Johnny D

Mana: 
a few hours ago there was a shooting at the HMO airport.
Come on down.

gringogirl

Mana: 
lol! happy to hear of all your input I appreciate it. I've been coming for the last 8-9 years, just haven't arrived so late at night before.

Thank you for the fair warnings, I was more worried about the cartels ha. I think I'll be ok :) planning on using a car service to take me to SC.

Thank you!

long time resident

Mana: 
They have uber now also. I would not hesitate to take a taxi or uber or a bus...to San Carlos late at night. I have driven it many times at night, without any issues. Less traffic, and a lot less cows then many years ago. Unless you try it, do not knock it. I know many in San Carlos, that do not even drive into Guaymas. No worries, do what you feel you are comfortable with, but driving at night in Mexico on a major road, isn't any different then driving anywhere else at night.

long time resident

Mana: 
Jonny D, didn't hear about the shooting, what happened?

Angel

Mana: 
A young person from Arizona whose connecting flight was cancelled/delayed was eating at a restaurant at the airport. According to the printed news, he got upset because of not liking the food he was served so he went into the kitchen, grabbed a knife and started threatening the wait and kitchen stuff. Police at the airport learned about the incident and went over to check. When the young person, Johnny, noticed that, he ran to the restroom and allegedly hurt himself with the knife, as in suicide. According to the newspaper account, police shot to scare him and prevent him from hurting himself more, did not shoot at him. The person died from the self inflicted wounds.

The latest is this guy had some records of drug abuse and other in Arizona.

Last edited on Wed May 16th, 2018 04:03 pm by Angel

JZ

Mana: 
gringogirl wrote: lol! happy to hear of all your input I appreciate it. I've been coming for the last 8-9 years, just haven't arrived so late at night before.

Thank you for the fair warnings, I was more worried about the cartels ha. I think I'll be ok :) planning on using a car service to take me to SC.

Thank you!

Good for you.  I hate to see ppl who are afraid of their own shadows try to impact what others do.

It's like someone telling you to stay out of Mexico in the first place. 

ballenamar

Mana: 
I do not think anyone on this thread exhibited being afraid of their own shadows. What I saw was consistent common sense safety rules which have been repeated in many sources over the years. And, I didn't read any post on this thread that said to stay out of Mexico.

JZ

Mana: 
ballenamar wrote: I do not think anyone on this thread exhibited being afraid of their own shadows. What I saw was consistent common sense safety rules which have been repeated in many sources over the years. And, I didn't read any post on this thread that said to stay out of Mexico.
If you didn't discover Mexico years ago you would be the type to tell all your friends in the US it's too dangerous to go there.

In Mexico, you are trying to bring all the Gringo US rules to it.  Don't ride on the beach, don't do this, don't do that.  Even though Mexicans do it every single day.

Now you don't leave SC, so you tell ppl to not drive HMO to SC at night.  Have you even done the drive in the last 5 or 10 years at night?  I'm going to guess no, but you will scream from the top of the goat's tits to tell ppl not to do it.

Last edited on Fri May 18th, 2018 03:12 am by JZ

nice guy

Mana: 
Hello JZ, don't know who you are, but you're way out of line with your diatribes. Try taking 6-7 Valiums and see if you wake up in a better world than SC.

Nice part about here is I get to click the Ignore Member - and poof - you don't exist.

ballenamar

Mana: 
JZ: There are others than myself on this thread who advise NOT driving at night. All old timers I believe. So, what's your point?? Get a life man. Just like nice guy, I am no longer interested in reading your posts so I am blocking you out. Good bye !!!

Last edited on Fri May 18th, 2018 07:07 pm by ballenamar

Jimmy

Mana: 

JZ-By your own words you show yourself to be a Mean Spirited Narcissist.

If you would just post your Wonderful Videos and keep your mouth shut.

I too choose  "Ignore Member - and poof - you don't exist"

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems