San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spear Gun?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2018 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jacob01

Mana: 
Hey I'm going to be down in San Carlos this summer and I'm looking for a spear gun to buy, but I don't really know what I want. Just something to use around the islands on grouper etc. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy? Thanks! -Jacob

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2018 04:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bavardia

Mana: 
I would recommend you not even try. Everyone I know that has tried spearfishing comes back after a few attempts upset that they just mortally wounded a big fish and it pulled off the spear and swam away to die. With practice you might get good, but while learning, you are going to waste a bunch of fish. 

Posted: Wed May 9th, 2018 04:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chase

Mana: 
If you can find anything!

Posted: Wed May 9th, 2018 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
diver45

Mana: 
If you are just starting out AB Biller are good guns, reasonable prices. In my opinion Riffe are best ones, but they are pricey. There are lots of goods spots to spearfish, such as La Aguila and Lalo's rock. The previous posts are nonsense, however the fish populations are definitely down in that area due to over fishing.

Posted: Wed May 9th, 2018 05:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
barato

Mana: 
try to focus on the "etc" and not on the grouper.....they reproduce slowly and live a long time. there are usually tons of cochis around, far better to learn on and to harvest....tasty, and popping a few is probably sort of like taking bluegills out of a farm pond, reduces stunting in the rest

Posted: Wed May 9th, 2018 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
390pony

Mana: 
I like my Mares pneumatic guns, and my husband likes JBLs.

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2018 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
100's of grouper are being harvested everyday by the locals to sell to the restaurants. So I don't think this beginner diver is going to impact the resource to drastically and if he has a licence he can harvest his limit like anyone else.

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2018 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 

100's? Closer to 1000's. They go in the night with Hookahs and glean the bottom.
Get down here now and get some fish while there are still some left.
PS Cochis are great eats. Firm white flesh without much fishy flavor. Great for Ceviche. Use as imitation Crab.

Last edited on Thu May 10th, 2018 03:43 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2018 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
barato

Mana: 
100's of [female dorado] are being harvested everyday by the locals to sell to the restaurants. So I don't think this beginner diver is going to impact the resource to drastically and if he has a licence he can harvest his limit like anyone else.

Bullshipper....everything you said is quite accurate. Everything you said is just as true with my minor revision. so why do most of us try to avoid killing female dodos despite fact that they grow and reproduce much faster than grouper?

I don't realistically figure sport fishermen and spearos together make much of a difference in the big pic. my comment was only meant as an aspirational goal for the OP, esp when one is in the learning stage about what shots NOT to take. I offed plenty of grouper sharks etc in my younger daze before I knew better.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2018 08:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jacob01

Mana: 
Alight thanks, everyone! Appreciate it!

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2018 05:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Any Baya shallow grouper are already going deep. Spear fishing with a tank is illegal. You will see some very small cabrilla. Learn hot to make fish cakes with some of those larger fish you see. 

Most likely the fish sold as dorado in the restaurant is yellowtail.  It is illegal to sell dorado at a restaurant. We'll see if they start longlining again this year. 

Posted: Mon May 21st, 2018 01:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
Yes, spearfishing with tanks is illegal and also pneumatic spear guns are illegal. Riffe guns are great!

Posted: Mon May 21st, 2018 01:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Anybody know the law concerning spearfishing with a Hookah?

Posted: Mon May 21st, 2018 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Yes it is illegal. From The fishing regulations page at http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/fishregs.html

Underwater fishing is limited to five fish per day, using rubber band or spring type harpoons, and only while skin-diving.

Bart

Current time is 04:41 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Spear Gun? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems