San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > house broken into TODAY behind Piccolo

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
house broken into TODAY behind Piccolo  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 10th, 2018 02:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
SailingDonaEle

Mana: 
Be aware there is a thief roaming around the neighborhood behind Piccolo's.  They broke in through a locked window and stole jewelry, Canon Rebel Digital Camera and Olympus Stylus Tough Camera and some other misc. stuff.  They went through everything.   

If anyone saw anyone suspicious in the area between 10-5 today, let me know.

Anna

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Mar 11th, 2018 03:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
This is getting ridiculous.

Posted: Sun Mar 11th, 2018 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
SailingDonaEle

Mana: 
Sorry to hear that, this was my first week here and I must say I am ready to leave and head to the Baja side where I have never experienced crime like this.

Posted: Sun Mar 11th, 2018 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
San Carlos has a population anywhere from 2500 to 5000. This is a small town with small town issues. Crime is not pervasive, not running rampant. Crime also is not something you solve or leave behind by fleeing....It catches up to you, or you flee toward it. It just is. I have found, for over 30 years San Carlos to be a kind, peaceful place to live.

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I disagree. Burglaries are RAMPANT this year. And the boards only report a small percentage of them.

Who you gonnna call?

John, you arent really going to go Viva on us and blame the victims, are you?

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 02:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Blame????? Perps are bad guys/gals, victims need to be aware.
How bout you hook, what you be think'n?

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 04:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Hook

Mana: 

I'm thinking the rapidly increasing cost of living down here is putting the squeeze on lots of people. 

And meth is a bigger problem than many realize. Who but druggies break into houses in broad daylight? When people are sleeping in their beds?

There are a fair number of desperate people down here. Not living in San Carlos, necessarily. They live in San Jose and Santa Clara and Guaymas and Empalme. The break-ins there are even worse, if you talk to your workers who live in these areas. But the perps are drawn to the relative wealth of San Carlos. 

Some are the result of the expulsion of criminals from the US who illegally entered the country. Remember, both Obama and Trump have been fast-tracking illegals, convicted of crimes in the US, for deportation. I doubt they are suddenly taking up landscaping down here. 

Will it get better or worse if Mexico agrees to diminished terms on NAFTA? Will it get better or worse if AMLO gets elected? I dont know.

What do you think, John? Has Mexico gotten better or worse in the last five years? Has San Carlos gotten better or worse in the last five years? Are breakins better or worse than five years ago?

I think they are much worse, in terms of breakins. We finally got broken into over the summer, after 10 years, so maybe I am biased. It was just the trailer and they got some high-end hooch, a few items of sentimental value and the cheap, non-working, 12v stereo system that came with the trailer. We felt very fortunate, really, when you hear of homes stripped of clothing, bedsheets, light fixtures, etc. They entered through a narrow window and could not unlock the doors without a key, so they only took what they could fit through that one window. So, we lost a manual salsa maker, but not a large crockpot or pressure cooker. They left costume jewelry;  knowing that it wasnt worth much.

Who you gonna call?

Last edited on Mon Mar 12th, 2018 04:41 am by Hook

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
Hook, I do not have "official" crime reports, nor do I expect any to exist, of crime activity here in SC. We really don't know much more than what is reported on the forums here. I am in Villa Hermosa, and have not heard of a crime explosion here. That, of course, does not mean it is not happening elsewhere here. I have recognized a lack of a police presence. We see fewer and fewer police than we used to. Were I the Comisario, my primary efforts would be to enhance the cop numbers. Semana Santa, will see the number of cops increase.
When I read on forums the things you and others post, my first thought is, why are they here. I do not doubt your honesty or your concerns, but when is enough, enough?, especially when you feel hopeless, as to say "who you gonna call"? Crime, poor infrastructure, cost of living, and all the other "downsides", trump the upsides of living here, if that is ones perceptions....we all have our, time to get out of here moment......what's yours?

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Apparently, it's now. The house is for sale.

Not because of the breakin. It's more about the steep decline in fishing, the lack of any place to explore in an ATV and the alarming reduction in beach access. I have always favored the small, fishing village in all my travels in Mexico. Mostly Baja. San Carlos isnt small and the fishing is in rapid decline. It's becoming too much like a small PV; only with a very large NOB aspect. Not what I go to Mexico for.

The water situation doesnt get us down. We get water nearly every night, unless there is a planned outage in all the town.

And it's about life changes. We want to explore of Mexico and the rest of the world. We also bought a house in the States, after 10 years of full-time down here. It makes more sense to rent in SC, than own, for us. One to three months is enough.

Posted: Mon Mar 12th, 2018 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
I agree with much of what you have said. I wish you well.

Posted: Tue Mar 13th, 2018 04:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
Of all the Latin American countries, Mexico scores first (worst) in impunity. Only 1.5% of crimes are successfully prosecuted.

"In 2016, nearly 98.5 percent of crimes committed - over seven million - went unpunished, according to the Technological Institute of Higher Studies of Monterrey. "

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Mexico-Ranks-First-on-2017-Global-Impunity-Index-Out-of-Latin-American-Nations-20170829-0035.html

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 05:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I have to say, reading that story is a real eye-opener.

FORTY-THREE PERCENT of all people in Mexican prisons HAVE YET TO BE TRIED!

Only seven out of every 100 crimes is even reported!

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
"Only seven out of every 100 crimes is even reported!" Very interesting statistic, think about it.

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
That statistic reflects my own experience. 

In the more than 11 years I've been in Mexico, we were robbed 1 time in San Carlos (school classroom), 6 times in Guaymas (mostly expensive tools, fishing equipment and furniture poached from the bodega, back yard and driveway, despite having a very large 3 meter tall wall around the property) and two times in Alamos (a wheelbarrow from my driveway while I was working and a bicycle parked in my driveway while I fetched a bucket to wash it...obviously the work of someone close at hand). 

We 'attempted' to report just 1, our one and only break-in in San Carlos which was our classroom on Ave H, as many computers and other expensive electronic equipment (projectors, speakers, DVD player, printer, etc..) were taken. We were told there was a 'filing fee' to make the police report. Yes, the police department wanted to extract money from victims of a robbery. So yeah, we didn't bother.

So my personal statistic is 9, with zero reported. 

On the plus side, we have received as much as we have had taken away. After many years in Mexico, we've been 'gifted' lots of unwanted kittens and puppies that were tossed over those same tall walls... :D:);)

Last edited on Wed Mar 14th, 2018 07:09 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Chicomickey

Mana: 
Anna,

I sent you a PM. If I could get additional info from you it would be helpful in compiling data that might help.  

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 03:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
In my post #13, I cited: "Only seven out of every 100 crimes is even reported!" This is a very salient point of the survey. My problem with this stat is, how does one factor into an argument or formula, FACTS, that were NEVER reported? If this is the case, how were these numbers found?, perhaps a door to door survey of every home in Mexico? I do not recall them coming and asking me, if I had been violated and had failed to reported it..

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 05:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Probably some survey technique like you are describing, either door to door or, more likely, over the phone was used. What else could have been used? Probably not an online survey, which is subject to skewing more easily.

Factoring in the unreported crimes took the percentage of unconvicted crimes from around 70% to over 98%.

Here's something else to think about. There is no doubt that the corruption in the overall legal system (and the need to convict SOMEONE for public relations purposes) has some people convicted that were simply framed for a crime they didnt commit. They would be in that 30% of convicted persons.

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2018 10:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
kiteboarder

Mana: 
The Hermosillo newspaper, El Imparcial, does a survey about local security every year and their results back up those figures.

Current time is 01:49 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > house broken into TODAY behind Piccolo Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems