San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Happy new year all. Jigging Hook questing

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Happy new year all. Jigging Hook questing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 5th, 2018 02:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
fast eddie

Mana: 
:cool: My first fishing trip for 2018 is with catch 22, Fernando, and is this Saturday. It's a New year, I  have new line on my reels, some new jigs, but I stopped to look at my hooks and they are beat up. I wonder what assist hooks work better  or you prefer for jigging, size, brand etc. I have lost a few fish on my old hooks

Last edited on Fri Jan 5th, 2018 02:37 am by fast eddie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jan 6th, 2018 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Fernando carries assist hooks in his shop

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2018 06:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chase

Mana: 
What pound of braid do you put on your spinning outfits? Also is it better to use mono other than braid? Im also new to jigging.

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2018 10:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
It's knot how thick your line is, it's how you use it. :shock:
Go see Fernando at Catch 22. Buy good line, it will last a long time. Learn the knots required.

Posted: Sat Jan 13th, 2018 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
If you use the fg knot you can use lighter braid and 50-60 lb braid and flouro leaders are strong enough.

Posted: Tue Jan 16th, 2018 02:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Walter

Mana: 
The best hook I have found is the Eagle Claw Trokar #TK8  7/0 it has a straight point. Not a down point. The straight point is important. The Trokar hooks are the sharpest out of the box you can buy. I sharpen them any way because it helps. If your hook does not stick to your thumb nail with no down pressure it is not sharp enough. The only negative is that they cost more. Bass Pro Shops usually has them. Have used them for the last 3 years. 
Walt
https://www.anglerschoicetackle.com/trokar/trokar-tk8-hd-extreme-live-bait-hook-26580

Last edited on Wed Jan 17th, 2018 11:43 pm by Walter

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2018 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
fast eddie

Mana: 
Thanks for your input Walter, it is very importantAnd appreciated, I used a old 7/0 mustad but it was not sharp at all,  I spent like 20 minutes sharpening that hook , I'll look for the ones you suggested, what do you use to sharpen hooks?? 

Last edited on Thu Jan 18th, 2018 12:06 am by fast eddie

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2018 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Walter

Mana: 
This is what I use but it's pricy. It has gone up $40 from when I bought mine 6 years ago.
http://www.texastackle.com/pointmaker.htm
Another option is to buy a very small , about the length of our index finger,  very, very fine mill file. They are used for fine dressing of custom made dies. You cannot buy this at Home Depot you have to go to a industrial hardware to buy it. McMaster Carr has them. Stay away from the sharpening stones that are sold in the tackle shops as they are way too coarse.
The Trokar Hooks are the sharpest available from the factory you could get by not honing the point they as so sharp. 
Walt

Last edited on Thu Jan 18th, 2018 03:50 pm by Walter

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2018 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Walter

Mana: 
If BPS does not have the hooks they can be purchased on   e-bay. 
AS a side note I never put those jigging hooks loose in one of those plastic tray boxes. I stick them in the edge of a pc. of cardboard and tape them down. They will get dull rattling around in those trays. Usually pre make several jigging hooks with the cord and figure 8 rings so they are available when needed. 

Last edited on Thu Jan 18th, 2018 03:37 pm by Walter

Current time is 08:46 am  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Happy new year all. Jigging Hook questing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems