San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Dougl;as  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2018 03:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
japasp

Mana: 
For those coming from the east, is crossing at Douglas and taking  Hwy 2 to Hwy 15 a good option as opposed to crossing at Nogales?  Is it any faster? Thanks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2018 06:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
snow can be a sporadic problem

Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2018 06:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
japasp

Mana: 
Thank you for the reply. If weather is not an issue ( spring or summer), is it otherwise safe, good highway, faster, etc. ?

Posted: Tue Jan 2nd, 2018 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
barato

Mana: 
how adventurous are you? I travel this route by preference; my wife refuses to travel MX2. Lots of 2 lane with 20 mph double trailer semis, and breathtaking drop-offs with lots of descansos in lieu of guardrails. I once counted descansos/capillas and there are an average of >1/mile between AP and Imuris.

it can carve a couple of hours off the trip (esp returning; the border crossings at Douglas and Naco are much faster than Nog) , and the govt has been improving the road and adding passing lanes on the long uphills. however, on my last 2 trips, I saw a pothole big enough to swallow an antifreeze jug and a horse wandering loose in the middle of the road, and got momentarily airborne off a spot where the crew quit paving for the day but didn't quite mark that the pavement ended.

one alternative is to go north out of Bisbee on 80 far enough that you avoid all the Fort Huachuca/Sierra Vista stoplights and traffic and then turn west on Hwy 82 for fairly straight shot to the border at Nog.

Posted: Wed Jan 3rd, 2018 03:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
japasp

Mana: 
Thanks. I think I have the picture. We may try it in March when we come back to SC.

Posted: Fri Jan 5th, 2018 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
stephenjay

Mana: 
I have traveled the route a few times, I like the drive from the interstate to Douglas, don't think it is faster, but very scenic, most times turn south off the interstate at Bensen and go to Patagonia/Nogales.

Posted: Fri Jan 5th, 2018 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
japasp

Mana: 
We normally do I-10 to Benson/Patagonia/Nogales. I just wanted another route and wondered about Hwy 80 off of I-10 to Douglas and then if Hwy 2 to 15 was passable, safe, etc. We have never crossed anywhere other than Mariposa.

Posted: Fri Jan 5th, 2018 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
pturner

Mana: 
We were considering going back East to El Paso using the Hwy 2 and crossing at Naco, but have now decided to go back crossing at our usual Mariposa border crossing due to the narrow and winding mountain roadways on Hwy 2 and lack of pavement in some areas.  Also Google maps shows that it’s only 15 minutes faster using Hwy 2.  It just doesn’t look like a pleasant trip and the limited services available along that route was another negative factor.

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2018 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
japasp

Mana: 
Thanks. Probably more prudent to stick with 15 to Nogales.

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2018 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
barato wrote: how adventurous are you? I travel this route by preference; my wife refuses to travel MX2. Lots of 2 lane with 20 mph double trailer semis, and breathtaking drop-offs with lots of descansos in lieu of guardrails. I once counted descansos/capillas and there are an average of >1/mile between AP and Imuris.

it can carve a couple of hours off the trip (esp returning; the border crossings at Douglas and Naco are much faster than Nog) , and the govt has been improving the road and adding passing lanes on the long uphills. however, on my last 2 trips, I saw a pothole big enough to swallow an antifreeze jug and a horse wandering loose in the middle of the road, and got momentarily airborne off a spot where the crew quit paving for the day but didn't quite mark that the pavement ended.

one alternative is to go north out of Bisbee on 80 far enough that you avoid all the Fort Huachuca/Sierra Vista stoplights and traffic and then turn west on Hwy 82 for fairly straight shot to the border at Nog.

Sounds exactly like Baja.

Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2018 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JZ

Mana: 
japasp wrote: Thanks. Probably more prudent to stick with 15 to Nogales.
Don't be afraid to try it.

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2018 07:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
If you are not towing anything it's a wonderful drive.I'd even go so far as to recommend turning it into a Ruta Rio Sonora trip and not catch I-15 until you reach Hermosillo. Very beautiful drive through some nice towns and several river crossings.

Last edited on Wed Jan 10th, 2018 07:35 pm by odwyerpw

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2018 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
japasp

Mana: 
Thanks for the information. What route would I take? Are there any "safety" concerns other than maybe the roadway?.

Posted: Wed Jan 10th, 2018 10:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Timothy B.

Mana: 
I would not recommend taking the River Route at this time. They are repairing the road and it is really bad for the first hour or so south out of Cananea. Also be aware that this road is not in the Hassle Free Zone so you will need a permit.

Posted: Thu Jan 11th, 2018 04:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
japasp

Mana: 
Thanks for the heads up.......the permit would be a deal breaker for me.

Current time is 01:48 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Dougl;as Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems