San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pueblo Magico  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 01:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
It seems to me that a prudent person would start improvements with the Necessities.

Reliable Water, Sewer, Electricity, Trash-pick up. These are the Basics of a comfortable life.

It never ceases to amaze me that the Powers that Be think of Beautification of the outside when the inside is rotting.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
frankie

Mana: 
jimmy, a desalination plant is being built! to address some of the water issues!

THERE IS A MEETING TOMORROW CONCERNING WATER AT 7;00 PM!!

you are an arizona boy remember what phoenix and tucson used to look like before URBAN RENEWAL PLANS???

Last edited on Thu Dec 7th, 2017 01:21 am by frankie

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
nice guy

Mana: 
From my perspective, you can keep the tourist magic place BS until we get water enough for the people who are here already. We need 6 more subdivisions and 4 more magic hotels like we need a hole in the head - and after we get 300 trucks delivering WATER for those who have paid for it. Shun the magic tourist crap until we have water and roads. This is more real estate development pixie dust BS. Fix the problems. then plan for developments, then development.

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
frankie

Mana: 
frankie wrote:
 it was to advise us that San Carlos Nuevo Guaymas, Sonora is an applicant for "PUEBLO MAGICO" status. there are 90 applicant pueblos for 7 positions!!

very competitive, but we are being professionally represented by Jaime Agruel "director urban development" and Juan Cordero "economic development". 

nice guy, pueblo magico will give us access to government funds to address our serious issues!!
there is no guarantee we will get it!!

but some of us are making an attempt at finding all the avenues for "monies" to address our issues!!!!

what are you doing other than making obnoxious negative uninformed posts???????????????????

there is a water issue meeting tomorrow, be there express your concerns. see what has been discovered and leave informed!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 03:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
I've left "imformed" in prior water presentations and it's scientific do-do, and I have degrees in scientific do-do, so don't eat that Elmer. My point is that Magic money buys fountains and road signs - it does not buy water delivery and garbage pickup. Give us your address, I'll take my garbage there. Let's get real - real magic is that water, garbage, telephone, elect, streets - work. Not more GD real estate developments. After the desal plant is in operation for several years without a prob - we can review the situation - common sense - right?

Last edited on Thu Dec 7th, 2017 03:41 am by nice guy

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 04:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
frankie wrote: jimmy, a desalination plant is being built! to address some of the water issues!

THERE IS A MEETING TOMORROW CONCERNING WATER AT 7;00 PM!!

you are an arizona boy remember what phoenix and tucson used to look like before URBAN RENEWAL PLANS???

Huge Impact fees for utility hookups. Even in Safford I recently paid $5000 just for a 3/4 inch water meter on a lot when the waterline was at the front of the property.

I have no advise on how to fix SC, but, I would hope that the basic needs would be attended to before any other Government projects are started.

Focus on One thing at a time-start with water!

At the rate SC is growing it will not be long until there is a Critical Water Shortage. Then, how will the little water available be distributed?

Without water San Carlos will Dry up and Blow Away.

Last edited on Thu Dec 7th, 2017 04:54 am by Jimmy

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
maryt

Mana: 
San Carlos is not the only place in Sonora with water issues. It will get addressed. Whether the answer is the right one or well administered is another question but we are not alone in having water problems. Al Sjogren is giving a talk on water tonight at Club Deportivo at 7:00pm and talks about this.

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
hans

Mana: 
The nice Sceenic Project with the Look out on the Hill,......is it finished ?

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
AlS

Mana: 
Not *all* of a city, town or urban area is part of Pueblo Magico. Puebla was given as an example of a Pueblo Magico that only includes a specific portion of it's city.

The definition of Pueblo Magico includes more than just historic, narrow cobblestone streets. It appears that San Carlos and portions of Guaymas can qualify.

There are some changes that must be made before we can win the "contest" of the 90 towns that are applying for 7 new Pueblo Magicos. There are being worked right now. Then there are many more changes that are required *after* winning the competition and before being designated at a Pueblo Magico.

Once a town is designated as Pueblo Magico, it must maintain the requirements else the designation is lost.

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Why are all those people and man-hours wasting their efforts on getting funds for tourism, and not being put into fixing the water and garbage issues. How is Magico going to fix basic infrastructure? We definitely need more lookouts and fountains. And even tourists need a shower and to flush the toilet.

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Hook

Mana: 
I suppose there COULD be an altruistic reason for spending all these man-hours. But I think monetary reasons are more likely. However, there are at least two champions of altruism on that committee that I am aware of.

As far as why they aren't tackling the obvious issues of roads, water, sewer and trash, well, I think the challenges are too daunting and past efforts have failed so miserably. These issues are probably seen as unwinnable by so many people that no one wants to tackle it.

The ray of hope, with respect to a Magico designation, would be if previous pueblos have actually gotten funds that they used for water, sewer, road and trash improvements. How to find that out??????? Especially with the murkiness of government funding in all of Mexico. 

Who would actually receive any funds, BTW? The mayor of Guaymas? We already know how he feels about funding improvements in San Carlos, compared to Guaymas. Let's hope a more independent body would receive the funding.

I have to say that, from a historical criteria, San Carlos really has none, compared to Guaymas. So, if that is a primary criteria, monies to help support historical buildings are going to go to Guaymas. What do we have that is historical? The now almost completely gone Catch-22 buildings? LOL! Advantage: Guaymas

Seriously, if ANY monies can be designated for our infrastructure problems AND THEY ARE RATED BY SOME MEASURE OF HOW NECESSARY THEY ARE, Guaymas will probably win out there, too. Our problems are bad, theirs are worse. Advantage: Guaymas.

Maybe our ace-in-the-hole is that Mexico has a history of funding infrastructure for rich neighborhoods and sticking it to the poor. We probably have more rich Mexicans than Guaymas does. Advantage: San Carlos.

Last edited on Thu Dec 7th, 2017 06:36 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 11:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
frankie

Mana: 
nice guy wrote: We need 6 more subdivisions and 4 more magic hotels like we need a hole in the head 

nice guy, where is your evidential facts for these inflammatory remarks??

Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I fear it is just more Smoke blown up Our Knickers. But, I'll not worry. I can afford to buy drinking water and go to a hotel for a shower once a Week. Or maybe I will buy salt water soap and bathe in the ocean.

For trash I will buy a Burn Barrel and compost the rest, I can not be like some locals and dump it at the Beach dumpster.

For bad roads I will just drive slow.

In a 3rd World Country one must Adapt.

Last edited on Fri Dec 8th, 2017 12:03 am by Jimmy

Posted: Fri Dec 8th, 2017 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Chicomickey

Mana: 
Jimmy, are you suggesting that the Current Management Organization of San Carlos (the Comisario) should ignore all other issues and focus entirely on water delivery? And forget about the possible Pueblo Magico program, even though this is a program that has a very limited time frame to apply? Just move on and forget about solving the current garbage issue? Forget about potholes, lights, speed on Beltrones, all other issues. Just water. Really? I don’t live in that sort of simplistic world.

Water delivery has been an issue for all previous administrations and the problems that we are experiencing aren’t specific to just San Carlos. Water and sewer service is being supplied by CEA, a state agency. They have serious issues that won’t be solved in the next 6 months. If you think by focusing singularly on this one issue we could make it go away you are uninformed about the complexity of the problems.

The Comisario office can work with CEA to try and assist in some portion of the problem but there simply isn’t a silver bullet. Do you think the Comisario can fire a CEA and hire people to fix all the leaks tomorrow? Drill more wells to pump more water tomorrow? Install new water meter connections and cut off all water to all customers who are behind on their bills tomorrow? And I haven’t even started on sewage issues.

The moral to the story is that the water issues are complex and expensive to fix. Thinking that our local government can pull together enough financial resources to fix all these problems overnight is just not logical.

So, let’s assume that the Comisario can actually multitask. And that other issues are important as well as water. And that the infusion of Federal funds related to Pueblo Magico can be good for San Carlos, despite our continued struggle with water issues. Let’s assume that the committees that have been formed are working on issues that may benefit San Carlos. And let’s also assume that all this work is being done by volunteers, all for the benefit of San Carlos.

How does complaining and oversimplification of the water issue and singular focus make San Carlos a better place? People are trying to help. How about thanking them before you throw out your next idea?

Posted: Fri Dec 8th, 2017 12:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Chico-Not one Mover or Shaker gives a Hoot about what I think or say. I am surprised that You do.

I speak my mind and what will be, will be.

I have over 60 years in Mexico and about 25 in SC. I am Not a Mexico Novice.

Jimmy

Last edited on Fri Dec 8th, 2017 01:02 am by Jimmy

Posted: Sun Dec 10th, 2017 04:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
letsridebikes

Mana: 

I dunno, I've been to several other Pueblo Magico's throughout Mexico. There is always a very unique look to them, every business has a uniform storefront, the streets are clean etc.

I don't see how San Carlos fits this image.

Last edited on Sun Dec 10th, 2017 04:07 pm by letsridebikes

Posted: Sun Dec 10th, 2017 04:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
MARIGOT

Mana: 
San Carlos does not fit the image, no historical significance, no architectural beauty, no cathedral, no ‘charm’.

Last edited on Sun Dec 10th, 2017 07:29 pm by MARIGOT

Posted: Sun Dec 10th, 2017 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
Spot on.  Progress is not an all or nothing event. It is many steps being taken repeatedly, on various fronts, to advance.  Be part of the solution, not the problem. 

Posted: Sun Dec 10th, 2017 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
lasninas

Mana: 
The application has been accepted so they must see something that you do not.  We will know by June, so let's see how it plays out.  In the meantime, how about we start acting as if we are magical, or scenic?  This requires involvement from everyone.  Have a great day!

Posted: Mon Dec 11th, 2017 01:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
follow the pesos san carlos is a destination lots of pesos means lots of taxes for sonora magic pueblo is magic dinero

Current time is 02:49 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Pueblo Magico Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems