San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Blast from the Past  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
long time resident

Mana: 
I remember when I wanted to get a phone line, it cost me $1000 dlls. Not many phone lines back then, and it went out all of the time. If you moved, they would charge you $400 dlls to move the phone number to where ever you were moving to, IF they could. Not many poles back in the day. Two lane road clear to the border, and the trucks would pass on curves. Everyone was on a septic system, and radio was the choice of communication. Three docks in the marina (I still have the photos) and they were down near the fuel dock. Marina office was really tiny, and there were maybe six boats anchored in the bay. Club Med didn't exist yet, and neither did Marina Real. I took lots of photos of Marina real when it was a cactus forest. And where Plaza Las Glorias was built, use to be the mud flats where the mexicans would drag their pongas ashore.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
RichD

Mana: 
johnmoore, I hear you about complaining about the complainers. Of all the things I don't like about living here the biggest complaint is the amount of complaining. A good example is the women who started the clean up group. She started by picking up trash herself and then other people joined in to help. A great local effort. And yet people complain about it. Either they don't think they do enough or they are fools for doing something the government should do. Good grief. I have been coming to San Carlos since 1972. Lots of changes, not all of which I like but I still manage to enjoy my life here. In my opinion, how happy you are to live here depends 100% on your attitude. Take a pill, enjoy your life.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Rich - nicely said.

Where is the thumbs up :-)

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
complainers just got to complain its how they get noticed i see a lot of that here what happened to live and let live good post richd

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 03:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
42,43,44 Bravo!!!

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
personally san carlos suites me fine! it's still a safe and friendly village!
not to be a hypocrite i do like coming to a nice home with air conditioning, 60" satellite HDTV, phones for local and international use, most of the conveniences anyone would want! this is my base and are my standards!
i love the idea that i have the expanse of the sea of cortez in front of me and mountains i could get lost in behind me!
i can drive to ranches where i am always an invited guest and marvel at the desert as it is now and was when only the indigenous peoples roamed here!
in the words of "bob marley" DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY!!!

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
I also agree with Frankie, I don't want to live in a tent, and walk outside to do my duty. We all enjoy the things Frankie stated, but we sometimes forget how fragile these things are, and that is when we go into the complainer mode. No where than in San Carlos, is the old adage, location, location, location, important when purchasing. I would ALWAYS suggest one buy within the area of the original infrastructure. Good idea, what do you all think?

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
johnmoore wrote:;]I would ALWAYS suggest one buy within the area of the original infrastructure. Good idea, what do you all think?
i agree only changing "original infrastructure" to existing infrastructure!

Last edited on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 05:02 pm by frankiej

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
maryt

Mana: 
john, what do you mean by and what are the boundaries of the original infrastructure?

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 05:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
A very good question MaryT. For me, it would be La Roca to the ease, the Bahia to the west, La Playa to the south, and maybe 1/2 mile to the north from Beltrones. I am really open to better educated thoughts than mine on this matter.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
JZ

Mana: 
VisitorSanCarlos wrote: nostalgia is always fondly remembering the good old days and forgetting the bad stuff someday these will be the good old days

This x 1000.  Very few things were better than they are now.

And there are tons of places you can go if you want to experience places with very few ppl. Hop on your boat and take it the 80 miles across to Baja.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 06:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
Guido

Mana: 
Jimmy, I'm not exactly a newbie. First came down in 74. Don't post often because I'm not a big talker. Vietnam 66 and 67 but I'm only semi anti social.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 08:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Well, then you know of the ex vets who escaped to Mexico after the war, and why they did so Si o No?

Last edited on Sat Aug 12th, 2017 08:03 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
maryt

Mana: 
If La Roca is the big rock by CharlieĀ“s Rock, then I would think you would need to go further east because Triana, Fiesta and the Conqustadores go a good ways back.

Posted: Sat Aug 12th, 2017 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
MaryT, Ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers. I base my thinking on where the "utility mains" run. So I would think to the north and to the south of Beltrones.

Posted: Sun Aug 13th, 2017 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I have been living "full immersion" for most of the 30+ years that I have lived here. I know very few Anglos and am deeply immersed in the Mexican culture. As an educator, I teach in a Mexican school. All of my friends, family, and socios are Mexican. I love the culture of Guaymas which is very much a family town. San Carlos is VERY different than Guaymas. So, in our discussions, it is important that we separate the two -- almost two different cultures in my opinion.

Posted: Sun Aug 13th, 2017 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
I completely agree about the difference between SC and Guaymas. But still, Mexico before NAFTA was a sooo much better experience than today......I guess that is the price of progress.

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I really wonder how many local Mexicans would complain about the "invasion" of the gringos. Very few, I suspect, given the amount of money we have put into this community, as well as the incredible charitable organization that continue to do good work in their neighborhoods. 

I find it ironic that some complain about the influx of foreigners........when they are foreigners, themselves. They just arrived a little earlier. Very hypocritical, IMO. You "think" you are living like a local, but the locals have become more "gringocized" (by choice) than maybe you realize. Good wages lead to more buying power and people choose the accouterments of capitalism in almost every culture. Ultimately, what you are complaining about is not being able to buy tacos and beers for the equivalent of 20 cents/US, anymore. Suck it up, buttercup.

One thing I think we can all agree on...........the fishing is immensely worse than even 10 years ago.  And there is no way in hell that gringo sportfishers could do the damage that has been done. It took the concerted efforts of Mexican "fish and game" allowing commercials from within and outside of the country to do it.  

Yes, it's a tired old saw, from me.................

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
I still say that the dismal fishing has more to do with the seiners and long liners operating outside of the 12 mile limit. The Mexican Navy has one fairly modern frigate in Guaymas, but that's not nearly enough oversight even if they could legally intercept outside of the 12 mile line. What to do? I dunno, does anyone have a viable solution/suggestion?

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
All we can do Richard is to watch the demise of the Oceans. I was horrified to read the attached report written by knowledgeable educators at Stanford University. I always laugh (Sadly) when prognosticators say "Unless things Change". The only time the Human Animal changes is After a Catastrophe, not before.  

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2006/november8/ocean-110806.html

Current time is 03:49 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Blast from the Past Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems