San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
More hope!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 06:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I didn't believe it myself until I zoomed in on a photo, but the Van Wormer Dorado tournament just weighed a 52, 57, and 61.4# dorado. Let's hope they keep heading north. My Facebook has killed me lately reposting some monsters from 5-6 years ago.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
SBT

Mana: 
That is some good news!

Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
vernberbeles

Mana: 
ok cool. give me your best guess when they may arrive to s.c.  ?      just a guess.

Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Absolutely no idea. They should stay there with the cooler water and small tuna.

Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2017 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
chase

Mana: 
2 weeks

Posted: Sun Jul 23rd, 2017 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
SBT

Mana: 
Here is the report from VanWormer resorts:

It was an amazing 13th annual Dorado Shoot Out! A record 141 teams participated in this years shoot out and a record $126,000 was awarded in jackpots. The first fish weighed on Saturday was on El Tio at 30#. Then came a 52.5# on Amante. Based on the last week of fishing and the last 3 years of this tournament, everyone thought that was the winner. That weight held for about 39 minutes. That's when team El Regalo showed up with a monster 57.3# bull. We were all blown away and thought this thing was over. But not so fast! 30 minutes later team Don Julio weighed in the biggest dorado in the last 10 years of this tournament with a 61.4# winner! Joe Feeney was the Angler on team Don Julio who reeled in this beast and took all 4 jackpots worth over $126k and a brand new 2017 Volkswagen Amarok which was generously given to the Captain Lucio Vargas! Congratulations to team Don Julio and to all the teams that participated in this years Dorado Shoot Out! Lets do it again on August 26th when we will give away a Volkswagen Gol and lots of cash at the first annual Wahoo Gold Cup!

Last edited on Sun Jul 23rd, 2017 06:36 pm by SBT

Posted: Sun Aug 13th, 2017 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Hook

Mana: 
That's great, but................how's the fishing for dorado in San Carlos? Seems kinda slow, based on the reports I'm seeing on What's Up.

Heck, they're even showing some guy catching salmon up in Canada. WTF? ;)

Posted: Sun Aug 13th, 2017 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Ha, ha. Well, absolutely no one is fishing. If so, they take the safe bet and just stay in the Bay. Chase seems to have better reports than me, he's in Montana and I'm in Colorado. They had the port closed today.

Posted: Sun Aug 13th, 2017 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Hey, Bryan, you fishing below Navajo Dam? I guess that is actually NM.

Last edited on Sun Aug 13th, 2017 04:44 am by Hook

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I got one morning in there. Roaring Fork today. Yampa maƱana.

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
chase

Mana: 
" there must have been 20 boats out trolling back and forth right out of the harbor. All I saw was white water with dorado everywhere"

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Snuffy

Mana: 
Bryan, How was the Juan? Is Texas Hole still crazy? I will be on the White River this weekend

Posted: Mon Aug 14th, 2017 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Alright. No hatches.

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
CFR

Mana: 
The cicada hatch at lees ferry has been incredible all summer, bryan! Shoulda stopped by and said hello!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2017 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
SBT

Mana: 
I don't know anything about he validity of a group called "Sea Watch", but according to their attached article, Guaymas panga fishermen were at the forefront of the Dorado decline beginning in the 1990's: http://seawatch.org/wp/2015/06/24/panga-longliners-de-manzanillo-why-the-sail-fish-are-severely-depleted/

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2017 10:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Hook

Mana: 
I believe that article 100%.

I personally felt the major decline began in the mid 90s, based on my fishing experience. Before the mid-late 90s, it really didnt matter which direction I would go or how far out I would go. Dorado between 15-40 lbs were plentiful. I couldnt keep very many because I was almost always beach camping at Punta Chivato and ice was a premium. Besides, I was respectful of the fishery.

Interestingly enough, the east side of San Marcos used to be one of my "go-to" spots for dorado. Current from the center of the gulf would come in within 5 miles of the east side and bring lots of dorado. It wasnt too bad a run from Chivato in a tin boat.

If I wanted a mix of dorado and football tuna, we would usually go outside of the "thumb" of Bahia Concepcion. We would head directly into the sun before daybreak and run about 20-25 miles.

The funny thing is, we never really saw that many billfish (sails or marlin), nor had to deal with them on our lines. Yet, billfish have become the dominant pelagic species these days. I am wondering if they have been the beneficiaries of the demise of the larger dorado.

It was "good" to see Gary Graham agree that the dorado fishery is in collapse because of mismanagement, instead of some outside environmental factor like water temps. The collapse simply has to be from overfishing. The sheer numbers of commercials hooks are the tangible evidence. I must say, I dont know where they got the catch numbers, though. It must be an extrapolation because the Mexican authorities would never admit to those kinds of numbers being taken of a fish THAT WAS BANNED FOR COMMERCIAL FISHING. 

Anyway, those were the days, when Alvarado and then the ejido owned the Hotel Punta Chivato, before the Italian guy bought it and ran it into the ground. As a beach camper, it was great taking my catch to the restaurant and having them prepare it.........while I drank margaritas in the bar with that incredible view into the mouth of Concepcion.

If anyone ever wonders how Mexico can "allow" so much corruption and violence and drug/human trafficking to occur, look no further than those figures on how much those fishermen made. In a poor country with good paying jobs hard to come by, making several thousand per cent over minimum wage becomes hard to resist; especially if you have a family to feed. Not too many childless couples in a Catholic country.

Last edited on Thu Sep 14th, 2017 10:27 pm by Hook

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2017 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Crown Royal

Mana: 
Good article from BD outdoors
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/baja-dorado-downfall/

Posted: Mon Sep 18th, 2017 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Hook

Mana: 
So, has hope turned to reality yet? Any quantity on dorado over, say, 15#?

Posted: Mon Sep 18th, 2017 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Not really. They are pulling a lot of dorado to 25# and nice tuna on the East Cape. A few better dorado are offshore, but they are pretty sparse. I didn't find much bait at all yesterday. I haven't seen much in close either. The few 'big' (5-6#) dorado we kept had a few flying fish. Tons of little ones in close. The larger skipjack moved off and a ton of little ones now. The bait is .5cm or smaller. It seems like the fish are shrinking. I really wonder if bait supply can drastically reduce their growth rate. I wonder what type of larvae are being gobbled up in the bay. Hopefully the sardine fleet didn't decimate that mass of bait that came through early June. Not sure where the langostina went. There were small squid out there in the middle when we found fish. (It's hit or miss, go far and fish all day, and get lucky since it's a big ocean with nothing conentrating the bait and fish and you're usually only going off one report from a week ago and you're the only boat fishing offshore on a weekend.) I've heard their size was smaller now due to a change of bait preference in the northern Gulf. I think the mature ones are somewhere out there in the Pacific (at the mercy of factory boats). Water is 87. It seems like the winds to the south have the current moving, but we need bait and the water to cool. Barely saw a few dolphin, so that says something. Only saw a few arm sized logs. At least it's a few degrees cooler now! 

Last edited on Mon Sep 18th, 2017 10:02 pm by repsilon

Posted: Sat Sep 23rd, 2017 12:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
chief Frank

Mana: 
is there any Dorado being caught at his time?

Current time is 12:12 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > More hope! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems