San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Is this more than the limit?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 15th, 2017 11:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Jeremy didn't ask me. They were one of a handful that committed that rare heinous crime that week. Best of luck with this and all your other efforts Vince. I am over getting worked up to see anything accomplished here. Even busting him and his balls will do little without a strong enforcement presence here which is unlikely ( just like the estuary guards)
I'm not sure where the masses of fish went here. They followed the bait wherever it went (maybe west and deeper). We found a strong current break 50 out in the tournament, shortly followed by a 6' patch. A few hundred 6-17# dorado. Once again no sargasso here and the currents seem quiet again. If you want decent dorado in this weak sargasso-free cycle in our area then you need to make the trip across. Haven't seen any flying fish, turtles, or Hammerheads in the last two days, so someone must have caught them. I did see one whale out of the dozen last week, so there is one whale left.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jun 17th, 2017 08:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
Inde

Mana: 
It seems that "sport fishing charter owners" have their own view of of this subject. Vince is doing the right thing despite the reality that his efforts are going in to have slow success.:X

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Sorry Inde, but think you are off track here.  Based on my 30+ years fishing in SC on my own boat, friends boats and charter boats, I think the charter guys follow the rules, the tournament anglers follow the rules and most private owners that I know follow the rules. The boat in question here is the rogue in the bunch and appears the owner turned it over to others who do not follow the rules.  Shame on him and them!
But the accusation that has been made here that many "sport fisherman" are behaving the same way is IMHO, bunk.  What is really unfortunate is the lack of enforcement and most noticeable when a rogue pops up.  There is nothing the fishing community can do to blackball or anything else in this case.  Vince is trying the correct legal route and maybe it will have some positive impact. 
In the meantime, if you run into this owner on the dock or a bar, tell him you don't approve and don't buy him a beer.  Maybe he will get the the message. 
Bart

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 03:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Y2ksearay

Mana: 
Well said Bart.

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 03:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
Y2ksearay

Mana: 
Also just wondering,,,, why no discussion about upcoming tournament in two weeks. Seems like it should be.

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 05:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
There were four boats working that school of Dorado. An eye witness saw none of the boats putting fish back in the water. How many boats do this? No one can say for sure but lets not kid ourselves. It isn't just a few. There are many captains here that are famous for catch and catch, very little release.

The Sea of Cortes is still the wild wild west and the sheriff is perpetually out of town. Now I did find out today from a very reliable source that the Armada is taking over inspection from Conapesca.

All the charter boats are going to have to make sure that all their fisherman that are on the water have a bracelet just like if you are entering an ANP or Area Natural Protegido. If you have ever dove at Cabo Pulmo for example when you hop on the panga you have to already have your permit to be within the national park purchased and on your wrist. It will be the same for anyone who charters a fishing boat.

So will the navy start to really inspect fisherman for permits? I certainly hope so. I have considered asking the Marina San Carlos to give Sin Cuidado the boot from the marina. God knows they have kicked several boats out of the marina for various offenses over the years. I suspect this guy illegally charged his boat. I also suspect that is against marina rules. He clearly over fished.

I think his problems are just beginning.

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
repsilon wrote:  I am over getting worked up to see anything accomplished here. Even busting him and his balls will do little without a strong enforcement presence here which is unlikely
I think it a shame that a charter company Owner "is over" getting worked up over incidents like this. I unfortunately am not. As a matter of fact I don't think I will ever get over it.

Last edited on Sun Jun 18th, 2017 05:36 am by Vince Radice

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I've heard from readers off line about the plethora of new "charter" boats working out of San Carlos.  That is unfortunate from several aspects, not the least of which is that it takes business away from those legitimate charter operators who have the proper licenses, documentation and permits and who follow the rules, pay taxes and employ licensed captains and crew.
I've made the point here before and will make it again-if you have not gone through the steps to become a legitimate charter operator, cease and desist.  Allowing your Mexican "captain" or yourself to charter your boat out is a violation of several laws and rules.  If your boat is US registered it simply cannot be a legitimate charter boat.  You run the risk of having the boat confiscated and being deported on a permanent basis.
To those who respect and follow the rules, I simply suggest you turn these outlaw charter operators in.  Maybe if a scalawag or two are made an example of the others will get the message.  To those headed to SC to fish and in need of a charter, hire a licensed charter boat.
Bart

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
I think that is a good thing about the Navy.  We used to be inspected here quite often while out on the water fishing by the navy but then it stopped for some reason. I used to laugh because as you cleared the harbor and heard on the radio that the navy was out there inspecting, half the boats would turn around and run back to the safety of the marina and couldn't fish that day.  My current question is if one is using a mexican captain do they need a fishing license.  I've heard pro and con on this and would like a straight answer. 

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Yes, you need a license. I'm not sure if these 'blanket' licenses sold are real at all. Although someone here, hint hint, has said that we shouldn't even buy licenses because they just line the pockets of corrupt enforcement. So go buy your licenses so that the officials can buy the poor pangueros some longlines to catch turtles for the poor politicos that are having to just eat manta ray. It sounds like we have a new sheriff in town though. Too bad all the baby dorado are gone until the hurricane debris harbors the next batch in September for any citizen's arrests to take place.

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
I may not have made myself clear.  The people on the boat have fishing licenses but does the mexican captain need one?

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
Jordy

Mana: 
Vince Radice wrote:  I suspect this guy illegally charged his boat. I also suspect that is against marina rules. He clearly over fished.

I think his problems are just beginning.

Years ago, when he first got involved with Sin Cuidado, he had big plans to charter and I said flat out not a chance.  Explained all the pitfalls and how you might cover your costs if you're lucky, but your boat and your gear get beat up.

Jeremy had a big plan to charter the boat, but not have any money change hands in Mexico so there was no charter as far as anybody official knows.  Yeah, that's his M.O.  Rules?  Nah, he's too smart to follow those.  :cool:

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Yes Bryan, I have absolutely recommended in the past and to this day that it is fruitless to purchase a fishing license. I have had that same posture for over 15 years. I am consistent in that. Why give a corrupt agency like CONAPESCA, any money at all. At least in Southern Baja the state keeps the money. Here Sonora sees no benefit from the purchase of a fishing license nor does the resource.

Now why charter boat operations like yours would ask me to drop it is for me the real problem. It is your attitude and that of the rest of the professional charter company's and professional fisherman in San Carlos that is the real problem. I don't see anyone from your sector stepping up to the plate. I don't see Star Marine or Catch 22 doing much. Maybe they are and I am not aware of it but I certainly don't see it on facebook.

The sport fishing professionals step up in Cabo, in Mazatlan, in Manzanillo, but San CArlos, where are you all? Jon Hildabrand is the only guy here who I have really seen step up, besides the lady's from LIFT. That's right the lady's fishing tournament here have higher ethics than the so called pro's.  

Sorry but that is the way I see it.

If people want to do something make this post go viral and via facebook and social media we can perhaps shame Conpesca into taking action on this boat.

https://www.facebook.com/Worlds-Aquarium-a-501-C-3-Non-Profit-working-to-save-the-Sea-of-Cortes-208778885845980/

Last edited on Mon Jun 19th, 2017 03:50 pm by Vince Radice

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 09:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
Catch-22

Mana: 
Vince- 
Let me Start by saying I agree with you on the Baby Female Dorado Slaughter, some thing should be done about this and I'm glad you are trying. 
however In a certain way you remind me of US. President Trump.. During a Speech he says some really brilliant things that make perfect sense, Then during the same speech something really stupid comes out of his mouth and it takes all of his Credibility Away.. 

Just an FYI , Fernando at Catch-22 Practices & Preaches Ethical fishing to Americans and Mexicans alike,.He has done as much or more in the San Carlos Community than any other Individual to promote Catch and release of Bill Fish and Female Dorado, Trust me I have seen it over and over. Now you are Aware.

Then to Compare the "Sport fishing professionals" in Mazatl├ín to any of our Quality Local  charter operators including Catch-22 could be the Stupidest thing I have ever heard..  I can only Assume you have never Seen how 99% the Charter Operators in Mazatl├ín work, they kill everything, Sailfish, Marlin , Female Dorado's and everything else that swims, I have seem it first hand and the Place Makes me absolutely sick. I will never return for any reason. Dead Fish Hanging every were. I have pics but there to sick to post.

Vince, I know your heart is in the right place and you are trying to do the right thing, please consider looking before you leap , when such stupid comments come out of your mouth it takes a lot of your good stuff away
Thanks for your Consideration
Steve

Last edited on Mon Jun 19th, 2017 09:40 pm by Catch-22

Posted: Mon Jun 19th, 2017 11:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
fuzzbear

Mana: 
I am from Chihuahua and go to San Carlos every year with my family. We go fishing almost every year with Bryan, aka Repsilon, and he always practices good fishing ethics. We've never EVER kept a billfish and never bring back more than 5 dorado, if that! And we usually catch LOTS of dorado and bills! Hopefully you can all support each other, team up and get some RULES because San Carlos is just TOO COOl of a place to let it fall to #@*$. I mostly free-dive and spearfish when I'm there, and Ive been 3 years now and don't even find any good eating fish big enough to waste time to spear. And every year find more and more garbage. Hopefully things can get better. Thanks for sharing San Carlos with us. You guys truly live in a really cool place.

Last edited on Mon Jun 19th, 2017 11:29 pm by fuzzbear

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 12:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Sorry Steve, you know not what you speak of. I have participated in forums all over the country. The tourism/sportfishing industry in Mazatlan stood up to Ramon Coral, the "asesino" of the sea of cortes. Ramon Coral was the beginning of the end for dorado in the Sea of Cortes. Julio Berdegue from the El Cid Resort was a leader in that movement.

Now do some Sport fisherman captains from Mazatlan do the same thing some sport fisherman from San Carlos do. Do sport fisherman captains from Cabo San Lucas purposely tell a tourist that the have to keep that bill fish because he is injured and take it to the smoke house at the end the day for some extra bucks? What do you think? Are there problems in the industry? Do you think simply preaching catch and release is enough?

I have never said that Fernando or Bryan for that matter don't practice catch and release. Have they practiced trying to make the government accountable? That is what I refer to. I guess you have a problem with comprehension.

In my experience you have no authority to tell me where my heart is or about I guess looking "before I leap."

I remind you of Trump? Really, here is a metaphor for ya that I hope you can grasp.

I was recently told to drop this by a sport fishing charter owner from San Carlos.

So if I am anyone I am Comey to their rendition Trump!!

Last edited on Tue Jun 20th, 2017 12:40 am by Vince Radice

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
I just thought that the point had been made. Jeremy certainly has learned his lesson (although Vince would like to further punish him for a news story and not being humble enough in their initial conversation). The Mexican captain's here now know to fillet and release and not send Vince their posts, even if they are lucky enough to catch over their limit once a year. I think the efforts here would be better focused on getting Hillary back into her presidential seat!

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 02:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
repsilon

Mana: 
Come on, we let her go!
'All the Federales say, we could have had him any day, but they just let him slip away. Out of kindness I suppose."    Willie Nelson - 'Pancho and Lefty'
"Kill them with kindness."  Selina Gomez

Posted: Tue Jun 20th, 2017 02:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Fernando and Brian respect the law and resource. You dragging them into the same crowd that doesn't is plainly unjustified. Please try to control yourself.

Last edited on Tue Jun 20th, 2017 05:44 am by Bullshipper

Posted: Wed Jun 21st, 2017 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
fishRunner

Mana: 
Vince, you have now made the point in 14 different ways - we get it. 

Current time is 03:06 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Is this more than the limit? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems