San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Answers to Frequently asked Health Insurance Questions

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Answers to Frequently asked Health Insurance Questions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 21st, 2017 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
asuwins

Mana: 
I regularly see questions posted in this forum regarding medical treatment while in Mexico.  I consult on retiree benefits for the City of Phoenix, Phoenix Fire, Phoenix Police and sit on the Police and Public Safety Retirement System Advisory Board.  I want to share a few insights I have learned over the years that might help many of you understand your benefit choices and options for medical care while outside of the US.
1)      Medicare does not provide any foreign travel benefits.  However, of the 10 Medicare supplement options, six of them include emergency foreign travel coverage. 
2)      Medicare Supplement Emergency coverage has a $250 deductible.  The insurance company then pays 80% and the beneficiary 20%.  The lifetime benefit is $50,000 (meaning you the client could be responsible for up to $10,000 of the costs.
3)      Medicare supplement plans vary in cost by carrier with options starting under $100 a month.
4)      These plans also provide additional Medicare Benefits lowering your costs for treatments in the US.
5)      You can enroll in a Medicare Supplement plan any time of the year, however depending on your situation you may have to answer a few medical questions for enrollment. 
Emergency Medical Transportation to the US.  Two years ago my father-in-law fell and shattered his hip and also fractured the humorous bone in his arm.  We took him for x-rays here in San Carlos that I digitally sent to an orthopedic surgeon friend of mine in Phoenix.  The surgeon requested he be taken to Phoenix and I transported him back across the border to the hospital in the back of my “make shift Ford Excursion Ambulance”.  This horrible situation caused me to research cost effective and efficient ways to better handle emergencies like this since we own a place in San Carlos. 
I learned of Global Assist, which is a service included as part of a $10 a month Family membership through Alliance Direct Benefits.  Had my father-in-law had this service the following would have occurred with his emergency.  I would have called the world-wide toll free number to Global Assist.  Global Assist would then coordinate with US doctors to facilitate making sure the patient receives any immediate emergency treatment to stabilize the patient.  If the patient is stable enough to travel, Global Assist then arranges for medical evacuation back to the person’s US based home for further treatment.  If the patient is not stable enough to travel, the US doctors will oversee and coordinate all care and Global Assist will fly a family member to be with the patient until they can travel.  There are no copays or additional costs for this service.  In addition, the membership includes 24/7/365 day video or telephone consultation with US based doctors from your state of residence who can write prescriptions through Teladoc.  If you are out of the country they can tell you what prescription to obtain from a pharmacy.    The doctors will usually call you back within 15 minutes of your request.  FYI, Teladoc has national contracts to provide this service with many health insurance providers including Humana who will usually charge a copay for services.  This service, if enrolled in directly with Teladoc, is approximately $15 a month per person, however it is included with the $10 family membership and with no additional charges.
Out-of-Country Health Insurance:  Outstanding Health Insurance Coverage is available for US Residents living abroad.  The monthly premium is based on the person’s age, gender and plan deductible.  For Medicare eligible people one of the Medicare Supplement options may be the lowest cost alternative.  For those under 65,  affordable options are available.  For example, a plan for a 60 year old male with a $5,000 deductible would be $127 a month.  Higher or lower deductible amounts and plan options effect the rates and the deductibles are often reduced by 50% for hospital and emergency care.   I can provide specific quotes if you e-mail me your name, age, gender and if you have any current or previous major medical conditions. 
Anyone requiring additional information on any health insurance or Medicare related matters, please feel free to e-mail me at ktims@healthmarkets.com

Attachment: value flyer.jpg (Downloaded 263 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun May 21st, 2017 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
lasninas

Mana: 
Thank you for the excellent information!

Posted: Mon May 22nd, 2017 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
The description supplied in this thread assumes that you are NOT an expat and that your home is in the USA. I applied this week and was advised by the agent that you simply put your US mailing address as your home even though you live in Mexico. Basically (after repeatedly telling the agent that I am a permanent Mexican resident) I was asked to lie in my application. This is a sure fire way to get the services of your coverage denied when your need arises. So beware. The coverage appears to be fine if you have a US residence and do not live permanently. Like others on this thread have noted, health insurance coverage for gringos down here is not cheap. For those of us over 75, it is impossible to get. 

Posted: Mon May 22nd, 2017 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
maryt

Mana: 
I am a little confused. The Global Assist is $10.00 a month and that is all you pay? You said it was part of Alliance Direct Benefits. Do I have to buy Alliance Direct Benefits to get Global Assist and how does that fit in with Medicare and a Medicare supplement and what does it cost? Thanks.

Posted: Mon May 22nd, 2017 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
asuwins

Mana: 
Global Assist is one of the many benefits included in the Alliance Membership benefits for $10 a month.  Global assist will coordinate any emergency medical care, ensure you are stablilized, and if necessary arrange for ground or air transportation (which ever is going to be best) back to your home address in the US for care.  Global Assist is for emergency care.  Example if you needed to be transfered back to the US for cancer treatments and there is no emergency, Global Assist would not pay for the evacuation services.  Global Assist and Medicare are two separate things.   If you have Medicare Parts A and B or another health insurance plan, they would be responsible for covering any medical costs occurred in the US or possibly Mexico idepending on your specific plan benefits.  One Note regarding Global Assist, the plan becomes operational when you have traveled more than 100 miles from your home and in up to 90 day increments.  Thus you do need to have a US address which is usually one's address for their health insurance.  If you need to extend coverage beyond a 90 day trip, a call to Global Assist can extend this.  I hope this answers your question and please feel free to email me.

Posted: Mon May 22nd, 2017 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
asuwins

Mana: 
If you remember I asked if you had a US based address.  You advised yes and said you lived in San Carlos.  If you coordinate your Medicare or other heath insurance benefits through this US address, Global Assist will coordinate your care.  Based on your situation, I admit it might not be the best plan for you but compared to the costs of other emergency evacuation options, definitely the best overall value.  

Posted: Thu May 25th, 2017 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
asuwins

Mana: 
The Global Assist Benefits  contained in the Alliance Membership are provided through Assist America.  Here is a quick video describing Assist America in more detail:  https://www.assistamerica.com/About-Us/What-Is-Assist-America.aspx If one is traveling back and forth to the US with in a 90 day period (regardless of the number of trips) no additional coverage is required.  For those who remain in San Carlos for longer than 90 Days, Expatriate coverage is available that will cover a member for up to 365 days (renewable annually for an additional cost of $80 an individual or $120 for the family).  This is in addition to the $10 a month fee.  This is just one of the many benefits included in the $10 a month membership.  I believe many travelers to SC will also benefit from the roadside assistance and Teladoc benefits as well. 

Last edited on Thu May 25th, 2017 08:48 pm by asuwins

Posted: Sat Sep 9th, 2017 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
tonyh

Mana: 
For Americans up to age 84 or younger and spending some time in Mexico, up to 6 months, this is very good. The GeoBlue Blue Cross Voyager insurance plan  OR Trekker Plan (up to 70 days)

The Link <

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/product_overview.cfm?link_id=10080&header=y&footer=y&personalized=y

This might offer some pre-existing coverage in some cases unlike other short term plans.
Covers sports even hazardous (unless a competitive event ) and covers boating & diving. The air ambulance coverage is built in.

For Canadians,  citizens of Europe, Asia  then this WEA Expatriate major medical insurance is affordable and now covers non-professional sports for those age 75 & under. Offers more sports coverage than IMG

The Link WEA <

https://www.weadirect.com/get-quote-prod/?ProducerCode=WE100136&PRD=Signature

Tony
http://www.globalmedicalplans.com

we are in the insurance section of this board

Last edited on Sat Sep 9th, 2017 06:03 pm by tonyh

Posted: Mon Jan 1st, 2018 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
tonyh

Mana: 
Got some new major medical health insurance plans for expatriates, living part time of full time in Sonora. Can include or exclude USA.  The plans have only been available for  3 months but the carrier has existed 30+ years. Canadians can be covered up to 180 days year in Canada.
Premiums are very good, can apply to age 75. If accepted can keep the plan and they are in-network with cima & hosp san jose, any Guaymas facility and 9 hospitals in AZ, 35 hospitals in Calif. This is real insurance

Write me or call

Tony H
01 5553515282  or 4804459324

we advertise on this site

Current time is 08:13 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Answers to Frequently asked Health Insurance Questions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems