San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
L.I.F.T.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
IronMan

Mana: 
It was from one of the best dorado years, and he posted how they had fished for 1/2 day, and kept over 50 dorado, but it was OK because they gave most of them to El Cobijo and the orphanage. He got ripped for weeks after posting - I don't think he knew how to delete it. ;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Healthy sargaso supports tiny baitfish under it that a lot of fish eat, includingg dorado. But they are a tiny part of their diet, as dorados will generally follow the much larger flying fish, mullet, squid, or anything else they can find to eat.

Sargasoo is part of the chain, but a very small part, imo. Dorado fillets are now in Costo, Trader Joes and others, so that's where you will no find the bulk of them.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
The dorado from Costco and Trader Joes most likely comes from some where else, not Mexico. If you look at NOAA numbers for dorado from Mexico the exportation has dropped drastically from Mexico. Especially during summer months when dorado from the Sea of Cortes would cross the border. The last time I checked no dorado from Mexico was making to the U.S. during summer months.

The other big problem is the crashing of the pelagic sardine fishery in the Sea of Cortes and west coast of California.

All the dead Grebes in the water this year probably have a lot to do with lack of small bait fish.

Marlin and Sailfish are next on the Mexican commercial fisherman's list gentlemen. It is as simple and as sad as that.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 04:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
chase

Mana: 
Sure it is nice to follow the rules but in reality how many people really do?

Last edited on Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 05:00 pm by chase

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
Ironman: there are so many stories like that (mexican mel) that not everyone hears.  Several years ago a boat went out for the day and caught 99 dorado......they were aiming for 100 or course.....and when I heard it and saw it it made me sick and then I asked the person why they did it and what did they gain and they said.......we caught more than anyone.  Oh and by the way not one of the fish weighed over 5 lbs.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Dorado migrate from their home grounds in Ecuador all the way to California. So in route they are getting fish commercially fished, and this cuts their population. I understand that the US no longer allows the import from Mexico, but they do take dirado from Ecudor, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatamala. They also import other species of fish from Mexico,, and lots of fillets are intentionally marked as other fish types to fool USDA inspectors.

Mexican fisherman continue to fish dorado commercially for the local population centers like Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey, etc, and for years trucks containing tons of dorado left collection centers in Barra de Navidad, Manzanillo, San Blas, Mazatlan, etc for these markets. I know, because I've seen it personally.

Posted: Sun Jun 4th, 2017 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
DiveUrge

Mana: 
I have to agree. If I run into an area with schoolies I move on.  They're not really fun to catch and even if you intend to release many times they're injured by the hook and won't make it. Pointless. 

Current time is 05:40 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > L.I.F.T. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems