San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Purse seiners in Kino Bay  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
About a week ago we had 15 or more purse seiners working in the Kino Bay area. It was very interesting but all (Gringos and Mexicanos) are concerned. They were working up within 100 yards of the beach and shore, possibly after sardines and anchovies. We have never seen them in such numbers or in so close before. The smell of rotting by-catch along the shore was really bad for four or five days. "We have heard " that they are not supposed to set up within a mile of the shore, but do not know. Unfortunately we lost our port captain position (to be replaced by the local marines). So we have no one to ask or complain to. Of course the impact on the local fisheries and other sea life is probably not good. Any input would be appreciated so we can pass it along on the KBNetNews. Thanks so much.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
They work very close to shore here too, but unless the are foreign, or in biospheres, I do not know of any other restrictions on Mexican operators.

Here is an article of the Guaymas flete working up your way. The reporter may be interested in your story for a follow up.

https://www.dossierpolitico.com/galeria.php?pagina=1&nombre=Sardineros%20en%20aguas%20protegidas

Posted: Thu May 18th, 2017 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
Thanks so much, bullshipper, for the reply and the link. Yes, it is sad to see such a high degree of exploitation of our seas anywhere, with no respect for the future. I'll probably get reamed for taking a "gringo" attitude to a foreign country, but I can't help calling out pure greed. when I see it. (I do have a environmental science and fishery background in graduate studies I must confess to). But I hear a lot of Mexicanos complaining locally about the damage being done locally to fisheries, the environment and even Hermosillo's beach playground. I can't imagine them appreciating the smell and dead fish on their little bit of escape from the big city. If I can figure out how, I will contact the author of that article. By the way,is Vince Radice still around down there?

Posted: Thu May 18th, 2017 05:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
yes Vince posts is here and posts here too.

Posted: Thu May 18th, 2017 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Kiwi

Mana: 
Yes, Mexico fisheries and fishermen are their own worst enemies. With the commercial boats it's greed, with the smaller ones it's "if I don't get it today......you will get it tomorrow". So sad that they don't believe in a future.....some are awaking but not many. 

Posted: Mon May 22nd, 2017 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Yes, supply and demand, as Kiwi says, greed. They must pay for wages and fuel and nets and boats. The cannery that buys anything to can?? We buy it back. They will fish until they become farmers, so might take a while to seine out even the bait?? I've read posts with reasons varying from El Nino, La Nina, a little cooler, a little warmer, earlier, later, this cycle, that cycle?? We've been here year round for a few years now and I certainly am not a marine biologist but--I think you only need to look to see what's going on out there. I don't think the pangueros dent the surface and the sports fishermen certainly do not. They will catch 'til there's only salt remaining. Ron

Posted: Mon May 22nd, 2017 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
You guys still catching yellow tail in Kino Bay or farther north?

Posted: Thu May 25th, 2017 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
the yellowtail bite has been off and on with some days producing great and others really poorly. A few white sea bass have been caught but not as many s last few years, but the sardinera (AKA brownies, cabrilla) bite was the best ever in mid April to about a week or so ago. Most from NW Tiburon, Esteban and Lorenzi-Salsipuedes area. There are a lot of "firecracker" sized YT at Turner last weekend. Our main problem has been a rebuild of our main launch ramp which will take up to two months. The other ramp is in worse condition but usable by small to mid sized boats, if careful and timing with the high tide.

Posted: Thu May 25th, 2017 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
nightwing28 wrote: the yellowtail bite has been off and on with some days producing great and others really poorly. A few white sea bass have been caught but not as many s last few years, but the sardinera (AKA brownies, cabrilla) bite was the best ever in mid April to about a week or so ago. Most from NW Tiburon, Esteban and Lorenzi-Salsipuedes area. There are a lot of "firecracker" sized YT at Turner last weekend. Our main problem has been a rebuild of our main launch ramp which will take up to two months. The other ramp is in worse condition but usable by small to mid sized boats, if careful and timing with the high tide.

Thanks. Billfish are showing here, and some yt moving south through our area too. More sardine boats headed your way for the dark moon and large bait balls reported west off of Tiburon, but their season ends June 15th.

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 05:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Vince Radice

Mana: 
Do you have any pictures of the Seiners? What were they fishing?

Posted: Sat Jun 3rd, 2017 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
nightwing28

Mana: 
no, I didn't have my camera the day they were so near the beach and I was walking. Bullshpper's post above was pretty representative however, and the pictures were form between here and Punta CHueca. I only saw a few after his second warning and they left in less than a day.

Current time is 05:21 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Purse seiners in Kino Bay Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems