San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Gringos being held hostage in Mexican hospitals

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gringos being held hostage in Mexican hospitals  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 13th, 2017 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
I copied this clip from Fox news. This issue has been of great concern for me for some time. I am 78 and widowed with Medicare A and B. I am trying to implement a personal strategy of getting shipped to a US hospital immediately when I have any kind of medical issue that requires hospitalization.
 Right now I'm trying to arrange an evacuation strategy. I fear that, if I don't have sufficient funds down here to pay the exorbitant hospital bills being charged to gringos,, the hospital will order the police to seize and sell my house. It has happened !!! The figure of $40,000 has also emerged when I looked into Cimi practices.
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments????

FOX ARTICLE:

A retired Idaho school teacher who claims a Mexican hospital is holding her hostage will be released on Friday on condition she pay the remainder of a $40,000 medical bill, according to her family.http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/12/idaho-teacher-to-be-released-from-mexican-hospital-but-forced-to-pay-40g.html

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat May 13th, 2017 06:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
long time resident

Mana: 
When I moved to Mexico in 1980, a friend of mine had to go to the hospital in Guaymas. Sanchez Clinic. She was not allowed to leave until she paid the hospital bill in full. She was ready to be released after a couple of days, but they would not allow her to, saying she had to stay until she paid the bill in full. I might add, that any medication she needed, had to be bought and paid for at a local farmicia before she received it, because the hospital would not provide any. It has been the rule for as long as I knew, that when you enter the hospital, you have to pay to get out. Try getting out of Cima without your bill being paid. Doesn't happen.

Posted: Sat May 13th, 2017 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ian948

Mana: 
My thought is these folks should not travel , when you travel anywhere in the world travellers insurance is basic common sense.  

Even UK with its "free" national health service will require foriegners to pay or be sanctioned - distinction travellers or visitors are tourists , foreigners living in a country should be a part of the countries medical system or privately insure.
Charges and pre payments are rerquired in all the EU countries I have known , not sure about Canada ?

You should read the horror stories of idiots who went to the USA as tourists without insurance  , a recent one made the press in UK , person was trapped in LA !! ( Bill was well north of 150k for small issue that probably would get you change from 10k here !)

I carry international insurance to provide choice and security , it gets more costly each year , but peace of mind is valuable too , in the future as a resident of mexico I will probably look at Seguro popular as a more ecconomic solution , unless I should be travelling in the US when medicare would be an option. But international travel - definately would carry insurance.

My own experience has been that I have not been ripped off by hospitals here based on race - there has been some bad press about the Cabo San Lucas area , but what can you say - Cabo is becoming mini LA.

Posted: Sat May 13th, 2017 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
THanks Ian:

It is not just the cost but actually qualify with US based plans. Once I get to the USA, I am OK with medicare.

I'm told that there are a couple of local ambulance services that will transport across the border. Any experience with this method.

Posted: Sat May 13th, 2017 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
hans

Mana: 
Lets see........About the Idaho Teacher. If she would have gone to a Public Hospital that would not have happend.And its not only against Americans, it happends to everyone, also Mexicans.

Posted: Sat May 13th, 2017 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Ballenamar - if your choice is to only be treated NOB then you are probably best advised to explore medical evacuation insurance ( auto only works if injured in auto event ) 

Just don't have un realistic expectations if you are going to chance it on the goodness of the country you happen to be in. ( as opposed to being part of the system or insured ) 

Otherwise  you could always move NOB to solve the issue. ( Not meant unpleasantly , just pragmatically )

Suerte

:)

We all have choices mine likely would not be yours and vice versa ( my wife has instructions to bring me BACK to Mexico if I have issues whist NOB !! ) 

Posted: Sun May 14th, 2017 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
I use this service, as a traveler in MX. Allows solution to almost every problem associated with accidents. I dont remember what the coverage is for medical problems not due to accident. http://www.travelguard.com/

Posted: Sun May 14th, 2017 04:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
It looks like this is pretty useless to people over 75 - as are most/all "travel" insurances. It's not trip cancellation protection we're after.

Posted: Mon May 15th, 2017 09:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Tammi

Mana: 
If you are living here in Mexico, even part-time, you might want to just get Mexican Insurance. There are a few that are accepted at CIMA and San Jose Hospitals. I have AXXA insurance. It really only covers major medical, but that is all we need. It is relatively inexpensive. I highly recommend it.

Posted: Tue May 16th, 2017 02:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
Tammi, I checked into this maybe 6 mos ago when you mentioned it then. I'm 73, and the costs and the exclusions were for rich people - for any decent coverage was US$20K a year.

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 05:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I noticed this on What's Up San Carlos newsletter.  I  can't go but hopefully someone can report on this alternative. 

Attachment: Capture.JPG (Downloaded 345 times)

Posted: Thu May 18th, 2017 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Hook

Mana: 
hans wrote: Lets see........About the Idaho Teacher. If she would have gone to a Public Hospital that would not have happend.And its not only against Americans, it happends to everyone, also Mexicans.
Well, based on the public hospitals I have been in in Mexico, she might be dead. 
Bottom line, get insurance for the private Mexican hospitals in Mexico, if you are worried about being "held hostage" (Fox News hysteria, IMO). To me, that means San Jose and/or Cima. The local docs in town almost always recommend going to private hospitals in HMO, over the public ones in GYM. Pabellon is the only one I would trust and that would be for something rather minor.
And if that's too expensive or you dont trust medical care outside of the US, get medical evacuation insurance. But you better have a good relationship with a local doc, because you usually have to be authorized by a doc to be in a condition that justifies evacuation. You usually cant just say "take me to the States, I think I am sick". 
Is it really so unusual for a private business to want to get you to pay your bill before you leave the business? A foreigner would have to be considered a flight risk, as in leaving the country. The US economic system makes it difficult to flee debt. It's a national past time in Mexico. 

Posted: Fri May 19th, 2017 01:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
"The US economic system makes it difficult to flee debt."
Now that's my hearty laugh of the day.

Posted: Fri May 19th, 2017 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
OK Hook - ins for CIMA kind of places is expensive - then super expensive if you are 70-75 - then over 75 it becomes ridiculously expensive and outta sight.
Second - when my ex- was in there for a broken bone - even with CIMA "acceptable" ins - you paid on your CC and sent in the bills for reimbursement. CIMA acceptable means you'll probably get reimbursed. Not their problem.
I'll bet CIMA doesn't accept anything except cash and high limit CCs.

Posted: Fri May 19th, 2017 01:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Hook

Mana: 
If you cant afford your situation, then change your situation. "Expensive" is a subjective term.

The OP has full medical in the US. What's so hard about figuring out how to get there, if he isn't willing to pay for good medical coverage in Mexico? It's still a fraction of the cost of US health care.

I suppose he could go to the public hospitals in Mexico. They probably wont hold him hostage. I am sure he is well aware of IMSSST insurance. But you get what you pay for in life, in my experience. I would not trust IMSSST hospitals for anything major.

Life is all about choices.

Posted: Fri May 19th, 2017 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
nice guy

Mana: 
"Life is all about choices."

Totally agree.

Now, I'd like a few more thousand - I seem to be good at them !!

Posted: Fri May 19th, 2017 03:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
How much is a private plane flight Guaymas to Tucson, and how long does it take? 4 hrs? If you got Medicare it would be worth a couple of grand. Sheesh, I paid almost that much just in copay to fly me from Safford to Banner in Tucson.

Last edited on Fri May 19th, 2017 03:32 am by Jimmy

Posted: Sat May 20th, 2017 01:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
asuwins

Mana: 
For $10 a month and includes the entire family I have a Global Assist Medical evacuation plan that also includes road side assistance in Mexico and Canada and 24/7/365 day access to a US based Doctor who can provide video or telephone consultaito through Teladoc.  Best $10 a month anyone traveling can purchase.  Email.  Ktims@healthmarkets.com for additional information

Last edited on Sat May 20th, 2017 01:32 pm by asuwins

Posted: Sat May 20th, 2017 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
johnmoore

Mana: 
As a fan of Lewis and Lewis insurance for our cars and boat in Mex. I went on their site to check on health insurance........WOW, bring the Brinks truck.....

Check under "More Insurance"

https://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/

Posted: Sun May 21st, 2017 03:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
VisitorSanCarlos

Mana: 
it would seem obvious that if a mexican ambulance service and hospital and doctor saves your life they would not want you skipping out across the border before they get there money.

Current time is 05:21 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Gringos being held hostage in Mexican hospitals Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems