San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Article on Guaymas financial problems

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Article on Guaymas financial problems  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
The USA is more in debt than any other country, so run baby run if you actually follow your line of logic.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
All the "evidence" I see is anecdotal, i.e., "I knew two couples", "I saw one house sit forever" (really, only one?), I met four renters who were "thinking" of buying, etc.

Look at who is building in the Ranchitos. Look at the changes in Vista Marina. Look at the changes in the CC. Along Mangalares. Ask a reputable real estate agent about trends (there are some that won't be honest about it, though).

Saying that gringo flight is occurring is a value-neutral statement, BTW. I still own in San Carlos. No plans to sell. But I dont have sewage problems or water problems. My biggest concerns are the drop in fishing and the prospect of San Francisco Beach being developed and the beaches being closed to public access.

Last edited on Wed May 17th, 2017 02:20 am by Hook

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
There are 250 listings in the MLS today. There were 800 3 years ago when I bought.

With the cosntant water problems in Ranchitos, I sure wouldn't develop more property there, but Lubbert is putting in 40 homes next to Solimar, and Marina real has about a dozen in different phases of construction.

Plus all the good contractors I know are busy, and its late in the year.

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Hook

Mana: 
Bullshipper wrote: There are 250 listings in the MLS today. There were 800 3 years ago when I bought.

With the cosntant water problems in Ranchitos, I sure wouldn't develop more property there, but Lubbert is putting in 40 homes next to Solimar, and Marina real has about a dozen in different phases of construction.

Plus all the good contractors I know are busy, and its late in the year.

Did someone say that the real estate market wasn't healthy?

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 05:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I live in the Ranchitos and have not been short of water in several years. I am not sure why others have issues.

Hook, I get it, anecdotal evidence is not accurate sometimes but real estate agents don't have real data on who (NOB or National) is buying property throughout the community either.

I have no doubt that Mexican citizens are buying more than in years past but I think the Gringos that leave are mainly for the usual reasons... health.

Comparing Guaymas debt to US is not a fair comparison. Guaymas is in deep doodoo for a relatively small city with a limited income stream. Not sure how they are going to resolve it.

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
rich & hook,  you both have made valid comments!
we are commingling several issues!  the thread started with guaymas's financial failings!

1) there is no doubt concerning guaymas's debt! most of it was caused by embezzlement and prevails under mismanagement! 
* improper property taxation: under taxed properties and over taxed  properties.  failure to collect owed taxes.  unfair distribution of funds.

2) federal mandate programs without federal funding. IE; the street lights from the hiway to paradiso. nice to have street lighting, but who is paying the electric bill? the dolfinaria, who is paying for the infrastructure of the ingress egress road? new street lamps on the vista marina road to playa pierdas pintas.  this the 21st century and the street lamps described are not using currently available efficient light bulbs??

there is no doubt the demographics are changing here in san carlos! i would venture to say over 90% of the resale and 98% of the new starts are mexican nationals!

"the perfect storm" regarding the real estate here;
* 2008 global economic crisis
* approximately 80% loss in the exaggerated "BOOM" home prices, here
* approximately 50% loss in preboom housing
* natural attrition with our older residents, health and mortality reasons.
* NOB's who purchased their homes here, from equity loans they received from their overly exaggerated home values NOB, having to sell at fire sales or risk losing their primary residence!!!
* NOB governmental and media propaganda campaign against travel in mexico. 

are the mexican nationals filling the void at a higher percentage than the NOB's, YES!!

construction: most of the new starts are from out of town contractors brought here by the buyers who are from obregon, hermosillo.

very few local contractors here are getting new start homes! most of US are getting by doing remodels!!!

Last edited on Wed May 17th, 2017 02:44 pm by frankiej

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
RichD

Mana: 
re: i would venture to say over 90% of the resale and 98% of the new starts are mexican nationals!

Where are you getting that information?

Posted: Wed May 17th, 2017 02:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
frankiej

Mana: 
i am vested here in real estate! i know all the real estate agents in town! so from my personal experience and with what i am hearing from the real estate agents, that is where i am getting my approximate percentages!!!

i live in puesta del sol, in the past 3/4 years only mexican nationals have purchased here, we this month had a couple from tucson purchase!

look around the nationals are definitely the higher percentage!

there are NOB's buying and their numbers are increasing! i sold a spec house i had on the market 9 years in january to NOB's!!

P.S. i am a local contractor/developer and have been in the real estate business over 37 years. i was a licensed real agent and contractor in the state of arizona over 33 years! i have had real estate investments here in san carlos over 16 years!
i have survived the ebbs and flows in both countries and speak from experience!

Last edited on Wed May 17th, 2017 03:46 pm by frankiej

Current time is 07:11 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Article on Guaymas financial problems Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems