San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Reliable outboard mechanic (electrical problems)

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Reliable outboard mechanic (electrical problems)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 9th, 2017 09:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rada

Mana: 
Hey everyone, I own two hulls, and I have nagging problems on each boat's engines:
  • My 200 HPDI will only start when the engine is cold. I can still start it by removing the engine cover and jumping the solenoid with a piece of wire. I suspect the Solenoid is faulty (I changed the ignition switch, persists, checked for bad ground, etc and the problem still persists).
  • The other is 50 HP 4-Stroke Yamaha, and let's say we had a bit of an accident with crossed wires and the engine is now dead.
Anyway, I have been told that Salvador Mitre and Jesus Salas are very good at electrical problems and I have tried to get them to come over and check my motors out but they are extremely busy. Wanted to know who else could check out my engines? Star Marine? Luis Shop? Someone else?

Last edited on Mon Jan 9th, 2017 09:11 am by Rada

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jan 9th, 2017 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I have never taken an outboard to Luis but I believe him to be an honest man and there is a lot of collective knowledge in his shop. HPDI motors have been out a long time, so I am sure he has worked on them before.

With the cold start issue, it could be there is a sensor that is intended to prevent starting when the engine has overheated that is malfunctioning. Possibly it prevents the solenoid from operating and you are simply bypassing it. 

In any event, TRACE EVERY GROUND WIRE AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CORROSION. Trace it all the way back to the battery ground, engine ground, etc. Weak grounds can cause lots of problems, when DC electricity can't get back to its ground. It costs you nothing to do this yourself, but time.

Also make sure the wiring harness is not crimped in any location.

Does it run good when you DO get it running?

A Google search on "HPDI electrical problems" reveals a lot of information. Read through the posts, especially the ones on The Hull Truth, as that site has been around a long time and has many members.

https://www.google.com.mx/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHWA_enMX623MX623&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=HPDI+electrical+problems

I did read one post that talked about Yamaha diagnostic software being available on e-bay for under 100.00US. If you plan on keeping that engine, it might be worth investing in it.

Last edited on Mon Jan 9th, 2017 12:45 pm by Hook

Posted: Mon Jan 9th, 2017 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
Alfredo, the heavy set suzuki electrician at Star Marine is a step up from anyone I have ever used in 30 years in SC for diagnostics.

Posted: Mon Jan 9th, 2017 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Rada

Mana: 
Yes the engine runs perfect once it starts, very powerful and great acceleration, it's on a 21 foot Contender. Has never stalled, sputtered or backfired in the 3 years I've owned it . The starting problem began sporadically.
Will check the grounding. Yes I check the Hull Truth regularly as well, they said it sounds like the Solenoid is going bad. Anyway thanks for the suggestions. I need to fix this annoyance and be off to the races!
Jeff, will look the guy up, thanks for your advice!

Posted: Mon Jan 9th, 2017 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Wy Ynot

Mana: 
Luis is very good, if he or Elvis doesn't know first hand, they'll research. I've had a little Mercury 20 over there before for a complete check up. I have a 200 Mariner there now for a good going over. I would not hesitate asking Luis or taking it over there. Ron

Posted: Tue Jan 10th, 2017 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TONY ABQ

Mana: 
So far I have had the best luck with Humberto on bottom of caracolI wouldn't bring my boat back to luis if I have a choice. Pm me if you want more info about that , I have a 89 Johnson gt100 and Humberto has it running great for last four years. 

Posted: Sun Jan 15th, 2017 03:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Rada

Mana: 
Problem is fixed. Alan and Alfredo from Star Marine took care of it, it was a corroded harness inside the engine.

Posted: Sat Jan 21st, 2017 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
TONY ABQ, I have heard and know of 10 stories about H for each one I have heard about Luis. Usually, it's all about money; one is cheap, one is not. One is a good friend, honorable, knowledgeable, and I would trust with a key to my house and car. I trusted Luis with everything on my boat for 7 years; I can afford it and believe in value over price.
It is cheaper when you use a box of decent wine as a "propina"!
Saludos Luis!

Last edited on Sat Jan 21st, 2017 02:41 am by IronMan

Current time is 03:27 pm  
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Fishing Forum > Reliable outboard mechanic (electrical problems) Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems